International Calling Plans (Verizon)

emeraldlake

For those of you who use Verizon, have you ever signed up for any of their International Plans?

If so, which do you find works better.... $25/month, $40/month, or Pay as You Go.

Only planning to use for a few calls and mainly emergency situations in Europe.

Thanks

Last year I used the $40 plan which gave ample minutes and texting time....I need to have the call availability for work purposes......we will be going again in April so I will call and see if there is anything new.

eclue:cool:

I have the Verizon International services 800 number in front of me as I type. For the past few years, I have opted into the $40 plan. This works best for us. Unlimited incoming text, and 100 minutes outgoing and same with text. Since also have the lap top with us, it's another source of communication with family/friends at home. Eight trips to Europe with this plan and I've never gone over.

Before we leave home, I make sure I have the contact numbers of private shorex, hotels, ship to airport company, etc., entered correctly in my address book.

Darcy

Check out their Travel Pass plan. No charge to have your phone number signed up. Only charge is $10 per 24 hour period if you use it. If you do use it your available minutes and data are the same as what you have when at home. I used it 1x and it worked fine. See what works best for you.

Do a search on cruise critic for Verizon. Lots of threads here and in the Ask a Cruise Question forum.

I have used both the $25 and $40 plans but still use Viber and What's App to stay in touch when Wi-Fi is available. We use the international calling for tour companies and contacting Airbnb hosts and use the apps to stay in touch with family and friends.

When in Europe for 3 weeks last year, we used the $10 a day plan. I planned which days I would call, and made as many calls as I wanted on those days. Other days, I left the cellular turned off and no charge to my account. We only used it a few days as most of the time we were in touch with family via Internet/social media apps.

We used the $40 plan last year on our 18 day Norway Iceland, then transatlantic cruise. Unfortunately, I ended up using too much data while checking email ashore and ended up getting charged enough that I wished we'd chosen a different plan. But we had used it previously and had been happy with using our phones just for contacting tour company or people to meet up with ashore. So I think it depends on how you plan to use it which plan will work better for you.

I plan on using the travel pass ($10/day) for our Baltic Cruise coming in July, because I need it for work. My boss has used this plan also and loved it.

I called Verizon to make sure that the countries I would be in are part of the travel pass plan (they are). Like mentioned above, if you use call/text/data, it will begin a 24 hour period of usage that costs $10. I figure if I use it for each port (7 out of 11 days) that's a bargain.