Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Finally!!! He definitely had "little man syndrome"! Good riddance.

:)

Ouch! Let's not dis vertically challenged males! There are many wonderfully kind, sweet, sexy short (yes, I said it) men, tall in character if not in inseam!

I think this guy just had "spoiled, selfish, angry, big-headed kid syndrome."

Ouch! Let's not dis vertically challenged males! There are many wonderfully kind, sweet, sexy short (yes, I said it) men, tall in character if not in inseam!

I think this guy just had "spoiled, selfish, angry, big-headed kid syndrome."

Yeah maybe I am biased because my DH is 5'5", but my pet peeve is the term "Napolean complex"....if someone tall is an ass we don't say he has a Lincoln complex or an LBJ complex.

I was thinking that they might overlap, also. Maybe they will do back to back episodes until this season finishes???

Just found this article on the All-Stars. It's interesting that they are inviting past winners (although I really did like Seth Aaron). I see Irina (who ran out of fashion week) is also a contestant. I liked Daniel and glad to see him back.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/05/alyssa-milano-to-host-project-runway-all-stars-season-3/201152/

Nice variety of past contestants from all seasons.... I have to admit some identities are escaping me right now but I am sure I will remember who they are when I see them :)

The superfans were wonderful. As I watched them, I thought that was exactly how I would act. That was a great idea and I hope they do another in an upcoming season.

I thought the super-fans' behavior was a bit over the top at the beginning. There was too much teen-like shrieking and giggling for my taste. Does anyone know how to act with decorum any more? (Have people even heard of the word?)

Rant being exhausted --

I was very happy to see that these designers, at least, handled "real" women's bodies well in this challenge. I have been exasperated in past seasons by many designers' complete inability to design for women with non-coat-hanger body shapes. So many in past seasons admitted to never having designed for "real" women before, and some were obviously resentful, even offended, at being made to do so. I mean, really?

But not this group!

I would not say that every garment in this episode was perfectly fitted and perfectly flattering, but they were all worlds better than some of the things put on "regular" bodies in past seasons, and I felt the clients got more respect than past "real" women.

I really liked Justin's dress, and especially liked that he did exactly what his client asked for, regarding her religious needs and her body issues, plus made it stylish, flattering and practical What's not to love?

Ken, on the other hand, made the mistake other designers have made in the past when confronted with non-model clients -- choosing a fabric the client liked but he did not. He made a dress he had no enthusiasm for, and it showed. I think a really talented designer will choose a fabric and design a garment that he or she knows will flatter the client, and thus win the client over.

JMO. :)

I was very happy to see that these designers, at least, handled "real" women's bodies well in this challenge. I have been exasperated in past seasons by many designers' complete inability to design for women with non-coat-hanger body shapes. So many in past seasons admitted to never having designed for "real" women before, and some were obviously resentful, even offended, at being made to do so. I mean, really?

But not this group!

I would not say that every garment in this episode was perfectly fitted and perfectly flattering, but they were all worlds better than some of the things put on "regular" bodies in past seasons, and I felt the clients got more respect than past "real" women.

I really liked Justin's dress, and especially liked that he did exactly what his client asked for, regarding her religious needs and her body issues, plus made it stylish, flattering and practical What's not to love?

Ken, on the other hand, made the mistake other designers have made in the past when confronted with non-model clients -- choosing a fabric the client liked but he did not. He made a dress he had no enthusiasm for, and it showed. I think a really talented designer will choose a fabric and design a garment that he or she knows will flatter the client, and thus win the client over.

JMO. :)

Agree completely!!!!! Interesting that Justin made an unseen under garment to deal with his 130-lb.-lost fan's loose skin. I just love that guy. I know he won't win, but I love his heart.

Now, I'm even more curious about that article about the final eight (at fashion week), that did not include Ken (who was in the final eight) but did include a previously auf'd designer.

BTW, went to a Belk's (Cookeville, TN) this weekend (visiting mom) and there was absolutely not a single plaid in the woman's section at all. I looked specifically. However, "Modern Southern Woman" was everywhere.

Agree completely!!!!! Interesting that Justin made an unseen under garment to deal with his 130-lb.-lost fan's loose skin. I just love that guy. I know he won't win, but I love his heart..

He is a sweetheart. Maybe too nice for such a cutthroat business.

Now, I'm even more curious about that article about the final eight (at fashion week), that did not include Ken (who was in the final eight) but did include a previously auf'd designer..

Maybe Ken threw a tantrum and refused to design since he knew he would not win so they brought back a previously eliminated designer.:D

BTW, went to a Belk's (Cookeville, TN) this weekend (visiting mom) and there was absolutely not a single plaid in the woman's section at all. I looked specifically. However, "Modern Southern Woman" was everywhere.

Maybe plaid will be "in" come springtime!

BTW, I really liked Michael Costello's cobalt blue dress on Rocsi Diaz at the Emmys.

I have lived in the south for 39 years now, transplanted from an area of NJ just 15 minutes from Manhattan. I am fortunate to travel pretty often and buy most of my clothing when visiting NY, Chicago, San Francisco, etc., or online.

When we want to go shopping here in FL, we take a ride to Tampa or Fort Lauderdale, both of which have far superior options than I have here at home in my small town.

We have a Belk right in our neighborhood and my mom is a regular. I go to keep her company or when I need to pick up a lipstick, bra, towels, etc. and do not feel like driving to the closest real mall, where the shopping is almost as limited, even though we have a Dillards and Macy's. Both stock lower end lines that I assume appeal to most of the demographic here.

Belk offers moderately priced clothing and generic clothing IMO, and rarely have I seen anything in their stores I would consider fashionable. That being said, I picked up a great maxi dress last summer, that was a return from one of their larger stores. But a find like that is rare indeed.

I am delighted that Ken is gone - though I think with his nasty mouth and attitude it is long overdue.

Edited by caviargal

I would like to see a season is which all of the models and challenges are for "Real Women." After all we are the ones who buy clothes.

Yes, we do. But unfortunately, we don't buy the stuff shown on the runways -- that is reserved for designers' high-end customers -- celebs, royalty, first ladies, heiresses, etc. Many designers do not even manufacture clothing in sizes above 8 or 10, inasmuch as size 12 (and sometimes size 10!) is considered "plus-size" and many designers would not be caught dead designing for this self-defined size range. They would find it an insult to have "real" women with "real" bodies wearing their clothing. They leave this entire size range to the "lesser" designers, in most cases.

Larger celeb's have their clothing custom made by a handful of brave designers, but only certain ones will take this on. No one wants to design a dress where the woman's body takes precedence over the dress.

I have come to conclude that runway models -- the actual women who are the first to wear these designers' clothes -- are, in general, supposed to be pretty much non-existent as people. They are just supposed to be animated coat hangers. This is why designers so often choose models of similar look, and style them identically -- so the models themselves lose any individuality or personality and simply become a method of getting the clothes to move -- generally in a very stiff and unnatural way, too -- on the runway. It is a shame -- so demeaning! I have seen runway shows where the models faces are covered entirely -- with masks, hats, veils, scarves, netting, bandages, paper bags. (No wonder models so often look angry, sick, tired, and drugged in fashion photography in magazines!)

Yes, certain models eventually are allowed to have their personalities come out -- they become "super-models" and then sell clothes on the strength of their own name recognition, not just the name of the designer.

The rest of us who buy clothes have to depend on the trickle-down of styles, colors and cuts from the stratosphere of the runways to the designer boutiques and high-end stores to the mid-price stores to the discount stores, where most Americans finally buy them, just about at the time they go out of style! Surely you have noticed on Project Runway how often the judges speak insultingly about a look by saying it could be found on a sale rack in a department store? And how the adjective "sellable" is used very cautiously, and is obviously considered a distant second best to "stylish, fashion-forward, fresh," or " new."

Maybe plaid will be "in" come springtime!

The latest InSyle magazine has a page or two featuring plaid. Of course, it is an enduring pattern, particularly for fall and winter -- but I still don't think it is particularly southern, nor particularly for the "modern southern woman."

But Scrapnana's comment got me to thinking -- the judges certainly know what is being put forth for the next few seasons as the newest trends -- if they know plaid (for example) is going to be the next thing, perhaps that is why they look favorably on it, even though the category of client it supposedly was meant for isn't a good match.

Ultimately, we pretty much have to fall into step with what designers choose as the current styles, or simply not buy new clothes. So our personal taste is being manipulated. This is, of course, particularly true of the young, who feel being fashionable (read "looking like everybody else") is essential to life itself.

I've always felt like runway shows were more about ideas than actual clothes. The money is in ready-to-wear.

After all, celebrities expect to get a lot of their clothes gratis. And, while the 1% might have a lot of money, but they can't purchase enough to keep that industry afloat -- or any industry, for that matter.

Buyers for the likes of Macy's, Belk's, etc. have the most influence on what normal women wear. They're the 800-pound gorillas of the fashion industry.

I have come to conclude that runway models -- the actual women who are the first to wear these designers' clothes -- are, in general, supposed to be pretty much non-existent as people. They are just supposed to be animated coat hangers. This is why designers so often choose models of similar look, and style them identically -- so the models themselves lose any individuality or personality and simply become a method of getting the clothes to move -- generally in a very stiff and unnatural way, too -- on the runway. It is a shame -- so demeaning! I have seen runway shows where the models faces are covered entirely -- with masks, hats, veils, scarves, netting, bandages, paper bags. (No wonder models so often look angry, sick, tired, and drugged in fashion photography in magazines!)

This is one of the reasons why my favorite challenges are the "real woman" ones. When these ladies get on the runway they have a ball! They are strutting and posing and have smiles a mile wide. They put life into the clothes that the real models can't.

This is one of the reasons why my favorite challenges are the "real woman" ones. When these ladies get on the runway they have a ball! They are strutting and posing and have smiles a mile wide. They put life into the clothes that the real models can't.

Yeah the fashion industry is really missing the ball with the "walking clothes hanger" philosophy.... clothes look better on happy, smiling women- not harsh angry looking robots.

Yes, they absolutely do! But only for the clothes that fit them well and flatter them! It was heart-wrenching to see some of the "real" women over the PR seasons who were forced to model hideously unflattering garments made by designers who didn't have a clue how to, and sometimes had the view that it was beneath their dignity to design for non-models. You could see in the women's faces how disappointed, embarrassed, and even humiliated they felt.

The latest InSyle magazine has a page or two featuring plaid. Of course, it is an enduring pattern, particularly for fall and winter -- but I still don't think it is particularly southern, nor particularly for the "modern southern woman."

But Scrapnana's comment got me to thinking -- the judges certainly know what is being put forth for the next few seasons as the newest trends -- if they know plaid (for example) is going to be the next thing, perhaps that is why they look favorably on it, even though the category of client it supposedly was meant for isn't a good match.

Ultimately, we pretty much have to fall into step with what designers choose as the current styles, or simply not buy new clothes. So our personal taste is being manipulated. This is, of course, particularly true of the young, who feel being fashionable (read "looking like everybody else") is essential to life itself.

Of course! Remember when we were kids in school, and HAD to have what everyone else was wearing.? I wonder who set the trends back then.

I didn't see that coming! Really liked the winning design. There is one designer left that I cannot understand why has not yet been eliminated.

I assume you mean Alexandra? If so, I agree -- cannot believe she was considered "safe". :eek: Her outfit was BAD.

They really cleaned house tonight by sending Kate and Alexander home. Unfortunately, Kate's dress was a hot mess, but we all know that she is capable of doing better. I might have kept her.

It's almost like Kate intended to get auf'd. I've not seen anything remotely that horrible from her all season.

Cynical me is wondering if perhaps next week some other designer falls by the wayside and Kate is brought back to replace them....perhaps to amp up the drama. :cool:

I assume you mean Alexandra? If so, I agree -- cannot believe she was considered "safe". :eek: Her outfit was BAD.

It's almost like Kate intended to get auf'd. I've not seen anything remotely that horrible from her all season.

Cynical me is wondering if perhaps next week some other designer falls by the wayside and Kate is brought back to replace them....perhaps to amp up the drama. :cool:

Alexandras outfit was horribly made and looked a "hot mess". Kate has been in the top most of the season-I hope youre right that they bring her back for some reason because she deserves to be there.

Yes, they absolutely do! But only for the clothes that fit them well and flatter them! It was heart-wrenching to see some of the "real" women over the PR seasons who were forced to model hideously unflattering garments made by designers who didn't have a clue how to, and sometimes had the view that it was beneath their dignity to design for non-models. You could see in the women's faces how disappointed, embarrassed, and even humiliated they felt.

The dress which Ken created for his lady, was poorly designed and ill fitting. He did not care for the fabric which she chose. He should have convinced her to pick a different fabric, or color.

What an intriguing idea -- I never thought of that! You should be one of the producers of the show!

. :cool:

Exactly! I don't think her outfit this week was as bad as Kate's but I almost fell out of my chair when they said she was safe. She always looks like she is going to cry when she is on camera. I can't remember anything she has made that I have really liked.

As to Kate's...

What was she thinking??? Her print was not much of a print and those pleaty things were bad. I wish I could have seen more of the back seam because the quick glance looked awful. The dress was hideous and poorly made.

I just watched it and was shocked!!! First shocked that Kate made that awful outfit.... looked like the challenge was "Make an outfit while blindfolded"! :rolleyes:

Second shock was that Alexandra was safe. That outfit looked like a ten year old making a Barbie outfit of scraps. Dreadful!

Lastly, shocked that Kate was sent home.... that they sent two home.

I hope Cruisemom is right. That would definitely give the show a twist. Unfortunately, there's no one left that will get sent home for raucous behavior, cheating or other bad acts. The group left seems like they are all nice people.

I actually "got" Alexandra's outfit on the runway. I've watched it a couple more times and it continues to grow on me. The leather was purposely left ragged on the edges; I think that's what my mind was perceiving as messy or unfinished or poorly made from the quick glances I got of the outfit in the work room.