TransAtlantic East to West on Mariner

flossie - if you have time, would you mind clarifying the condition of the Mariner as some posters (not on the ship) make it sound much worse than what you have described. Was the issue of flooding, ceilings falling down, etc widespread? From reading the two current Mariner threads, I understand that the safes were locked, some televisions were not hooked up, at least one faucet was not hooked up and the pool had a leak. It sounds as if you are having a good time and the poster (new to Regent) on the other thread is as well.

Since you are currently on Mariner, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, we are thoroughly enjoying our cruise(s) and therefore we have avoided getting involved in the spat that has developed on another thread. We also do not wish to become arbiters in the arguments.

On this blog, and others, we have simply given factual information about the issues encountered.

The issues themselves were annoying but also some faults were introduced while fixing others e.g. the painters who decided it was a good idea to paint the balcony door runners on day 5 of our cruise effectively “gluing” the door permanently shut; or the aircon engineer who fixed the aircon but broke the control box so that later in the day it fell off the wall.

Just annoying things that should not happen if individuals were doing their jobs properly and supervisors were inspecting the work.

The initial, serious faults in our suite were fixed promptly but the point is that they should have been picked up before we were given access.

I have re-read the various threads and I can find nowhere where anyone, either on or off Mariner, has reported flooding or ceilings falling down; so I am at a loss as to why you have chosen to raise these issues.

I understand there was some minor water ingress to the corridors as a result of the leaks from the pool.

On another thread the question of “expectations” was raised.

Although we were well aware that this cruise was occurring directly after a refurbishment, most people on this cruise would not have known when booking.

There was no warning on Regent’s website stating “Please note that some things on this cruise might not be up to our normal standards, as we will still be working on snags from the refurbishment”

The issues with our suite have all been sorted, the internet is way better than experienced on Explorer, the seas have calmed and the sun is out; so off to the pool to give it a try :cool:

Thanks David & Susan for your factual based, balanced, up beat post Mariner refurb post yet again. We appreciate your positive "tude" in light of the refurb glitches and second order effect repair glitches.

Have y'all booked your next cruise on board?

Thanks Susan and David for your great posts! This is the first chance I’ve had to read them. We are in a standard suite on deck 8, and it’s our first time on Mariner but not on Regent. The suite is smaller but have found the storage and closet to be more than adequate, and love the full shower in the bathroom.

The Wifi has been iffy, the air conditioning had to be fixed, and as I write this there is some serious buzzing from a workman down the hall. Nothing that has interrupted our enjoyment of the cruise. I do have one question for anyone on board: are you able to get anything on the t.v.? We get the Mariner info channel with Lorraine, but no navigational map which we like. Also, no news or sports channels [so hubby missed out on Masters updates]. Each time I have called they say they are ‘working on it’ whatever that means.

Laurie:confused:

LAUNDERETTES

We are fortunate to have included laundry & pressing but thought readers might be interested in the refurbished launderettes on Mariner

2fcdd6868fd256ad83d5b2da803464dd.jpg

Each laundry room contains 3 washers, 3 dryers, 2 ironing boards, 2 irons plus a TV and chairs.

For those that like to hand wash delicate clothes, note that there is no sink and no access to detergent; the latter being dispensed directly into the machines automatically.

So hand washing has to be done in your suite with your own detergent. A step backwards IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have one question for anyone on board: are you able to get anything on the t.v.? We get the Mariner info channel with Lorraine, but no navigational map which we like. Also, no news or sports channels [so hubby missed out on Masters updates]. Each time I have called they say they are ‘working on it’ whatever that means.

Laurie:confused:

Hi Laurie,

Our TV is generally OK.

We are able to get the following channels:

1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11 & 12 (lectures), 14, 15, 16-21 (news & sports) plus the music channels.

I don’t think anyone is receiving the Navigation Maps on 3 as that system is totally down. We are lucky that Captain Serena has her Sextant ;):rolleyes:

S&D

Thanks David & Susan for your factual based, balanced, up beat post Mariner refurb post yet again. We appreciate your positive "tude" in light of the refurb glitches and second order effect repair glitches.

Have y'all booked your next cruise on board?

Hi Wes & Ida,

Thanks for your support.

No new cruises booked this week as we are already booked out till 2020 :eek:

We did rethink and move a couple of Regent bookings while we were on Explorer; trying to sneak in before any potential price rises on 1st April :cool:

S&D

Hi Laurie,

Our TV is generally OK.

We are able to get the following channels:

1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11 & 12 (lectures), 14, 15, 16-21 (news & sports) plus the music channels.

I don’t think anyone is receiving the Navigation Maps on 3 as that system is totally down. We are lucky that Captain Serena has her Sextant ;):rolleyes:

S&D

Thanks, Sue:)

PRIME 7 on Mariner

eccb98e316de9d267754e92d7bc41fb8.jpg

The refurbishment of Prime 7 on Mariner has made a big difference to this venue.

It is now light & airy. The open serving stations, which could create noise, have been moved to be unobtrusive.

dd533d1ccc7ede63427e1dc9690a7b71.jpg

08e80931010ccbf33c62364e5c2075f4.jpg

The new chairs, with built in cushion, are very comfortable:

2ebefd604eb0a72e1445c49d80624fe6.jpg

The menu in Prime 7 has not changed ........... but is very tasty

48cb8220ff85d32a3bb9fa2506b8b3fa.jpg

Amuse Bouche (tomato soup - quite spicy)

9811912bccb23fda7fc3ba41239b4ba8.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

bd525b271a00044e478e7c7ba9c23e59.jpg

Iceberg Wedges

b0ac14f5abc221f262f303d152c2c54c.jpg

Bone-in Rib Steak

Sorry, forgot to take pictures of desert .............. but it was yummy.

David had the 14 layer chocolate cake (but only managed about 6 layers!); Susan had the caramel popcorn sundae.

All I can say about the food photos in Prime 7 you posted----WOW, we get on the ship April 18th and can't wait. Thanks again so much for all the time you spend post. I hope you have a good time for the rest of your cruise---but can't wait until you get to Miami so we can get on. Just kidding.......Rick

The menu in Prime 7 has not changed ........... but is very tasty

48cb8220ff85d32a3bb9fa2506b8b3fa.jpg

Amuse Bouche (tomato soup - quite spicy)

9811912bccb23fda7fc3ba41239b4ba8.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

bd525b271a00044e478e7c7ba9c23e59.jpg

Iceberg Wedges

b0ac14f5abc221f262f303d152c2c54c.jpg

Bone-in Rib Steak

Sorry, forgot to take pictures of desert .............. but it was yummy.

David had the 14 layer chocolate cake (but only managed about 6 layers!); Susan had the caramel popcorn sundae.

I must remember to not look at your food pics an hour before dinner time, now I am starving!:D

Caramel popcorn sundae at P7 is my favorite dessert in the entire world.

I must remember to not look at your food pics an hour before dinner time, now I am starving!:D

Caramel popcorn sundae at P7 is my favorite dessert in the entire world.

You know I didn't try it on the last cruise---it just didn't sound good. So you think its that good?????I guess I'm going to try it later this month.

In our opinion the best steak on Regent is the rib eye steak served in Compass Rose :)

However, our bone-in rib steaks in Prime 7 the other night were very tasty; perfectly prepared to our specifications (each of us like our steaks cooked slightly differently)

Some more passenger statistics.

Seven Seas Society members on board:

Silver: 204

Gold: 81

Platinum: 41

Titanium: 12

Diamond: 2

Commodore: 2

So 342 repeat Regent cruisers, with a total of 118 years on board Regent ships :eek:

................. and yes we have one couple on this cruise who have each sailed over 1000 nights and one couple who have sailed over 2000 nights; they looked resplendent in their Regent Commodore Jackets last night at dinner in Chartreuse, where their meal was cooked by a Regent Chef who had just received his 15 year long service award at the SSS party.

Today’s minor gripes:

1. Wi-Fi took a definite nosedive today. A pity as it has been good up to now. Maybe it was spooked by the lecture on the Bermuda Triangle this morning :eek:
  2. I wish those in the suite directly above us would be more considerate of their neighbours. Every morning at 08:30 we hear load thumps & bangs on our ceiling. Presumably the occupants are doing their morning physical jerks. Why can’t they go to the gym? :(

CHARTREUSE

Yes the speciality restaurant, Signatures, which was loved by many Regent cruisers has now been replaced on Mariner by Chartreuse.

8dddafd1e27e884421ffc824c23d6e57.jpg

......... with its own distinctive tableware

1fb884ad86c0a4716ec39009b5217e51.jpg

The restaurant decor is relatively understated; the chairs are comfortable

baf16c9a5e3b36ff54b828a86ec9d37a.jpg

Many of the dishes in Chartreuse are good but personally we found the previous Signatures’ menus more extensive and closer to our taste:

5e62d897f81130aa7f1b3ef55e7c194f.jpg

Beef Consommé

25f5113f922ddf18b5a95b223e067af2.jpg

Chicken Breast

cf18e6c94ced9295596c38aac54d5197.jpg

Rack of Lamb

Thanks Susan & David for posting P7 and Chartreuse refurb and food photos.

Know you know this, but you could let the concierge know of the recurring racket your

above suite neighbors are doing every morning and let him/her handle it.

Flossie, The Floating Island is my very favorite dessert and it still looks good to me.

One day when we came back to our suite in the back of the ship, a security person from Regent was standing outside the door. When we told him if we could help, he told us the people above us complained about a lot of noise coming from our cabin. We told him, don't know as you see we're just coming back----once inside our roof over the deck was blowing in the wind--some of the roof area was handing over the deck and some just gone. And a still rod banging agains the glass door. That was a day and half. Rick

Flossie, The Floating Island is my very favorite dessert and it still looks good to me.

One day when we came back to our suite in the back of the ship, a security person from Regent was standing outside the door. When we told him if we could help, he told us the people above us complained about a lot of noise coming from our cabin. We told him, don't know as you see we're just coming back----once inside our roof over the deck was blowing in the wind--some of the roof area was handing over the deck and some just gone. And a still rod banging agains the glass door. That was a day and half. Rick

Yikes!! Was this one of the Seven Seas or Horizon suites? Any photos? A day and a half to repair? That sounds awful.