TransAtlantic East to West on Mariner

Today’s minor gripes:

1. Wi-Fi took a definite nosedive today. A pity as it has been good up to now. Maybe it was spooked by the lecture on the Bermuda Triangle this morning :eek:
  2. I wish those in the suite directly above us would be more considerate of their neighbours. Every morning at 08:30 we hear load thumps & bangs on our ceiling. Presumably the occupants are doing their morning physical jerks. Why can’t they go to the gym? :(

This more or less speaks to the fact that Wi-Fi is dependent upon where the ship and the satellite are in the world and why some people find the Wi-Fi fine and others think that it is miserable.

Yikes!! Was this one of the Seven Seas or Horizon suites? Any photos? A day and a half to repair? That sounds awful.

No, it was the Grand Suite on the Explorer---wasn't that bad, it was a mess but out side. They had it cleaned up in about an hour. We just didn't use the deck the rest of the trip. Rick

Yikes!! Was this one of the Seven Seas or Horizon suites? Any photos? A day and a half to repair? That sounds awful.

We woke up to a totally shattered panel in the sliding glass door once on Navigator. They moved us to another suite as they said it would take at least 2 days to fix.

Some more passenger statistics.

Seven Seas Society members on board:

Silver: 204

Gold: 81

Platinum: 41

Titanium: 12

Diamond: 2

Commodore: 2

So 342 repeat Regent cruisers, with a total of 118 years on board Regent ships :eek:

................. and yes we have one couple on this cruise who have each sailed over 1000 nights and one couple who have sailed over 2000 nights; they looked resplendent in their Regent Commodore Jackets last night at dinner in Chartreuse, where their meal was cooked by a Regent Chef who had just received his 15 year long service award at the SSS party.

What is Commodore and Diamond.? Thought when you got to Titanium that was it. Do they mean you are in a big suite?

Quite late to this, but thank you for a very factual no nonsense, warts and all report.

I agree with the thought, that the ship shouldn't have sailed at full price with so many niggling faults, and some pretty big ones, but glad you are taking things in your stride and having a great time.

It would be nice to hear that Regent have offered some form of compensation to all those hit by faults.

THE COUNTRY FAIR

Guests and crew turned out on a sunny Pool Deck today for the traditional Country Fair where guests compete in sideshow competitions run by the various shipboard departments.

Lots of fun for all.

d9c161fe2f6ebc69677b59a0dadb5ac6.jpg

bcb3b62b270fac7fe372ebc382ee8992.jpg

Horse racing run by the Purser/Concierge/Reception

74d7e6cb2059eb70f40fbb8fe93c90b6.jpg

Human Hoopla run by the Entertainment Team, with members of the Band testing the new pool

15c6c83f37643283e018dd3fb59196d0.jpg

Martini Race with the Bar Staff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b20405bd6d9331eee7595c32d3d9fb39.jpg

d42e7da533b1faccb12d781d1ae4a80c.jpg

Housekeeping won the popular vote for the best booth

a0d4408454fd4ad931578391b2bf0be0.jpg

The afternoon ended with a draw for various prizes

b4304ff3753f7983fc061aa1d551a9d6.jpg

No prize winners for us (very poor ticket picking by Captain Serena!!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The country fair is only on cruises with a whole lot of sea days in a row. Usually reserved for crossings. In over 200 days on Regent, I have never been to one.

Usually, due to time changes, only on Westward crossings. Sometimes on North/South too.

J

Agree with Rachel - there has to be a few sea days. The last one we attended was on our Amazon cruise (Miami - Miami) last November on Mariner. We did two Atlantic crossings on Explorer and they did not have it in either direction. They are definitely a lot of fun but take a whole lot of work to set up (and tear down).

Travelcat2. Thanks for your response. I enjoyed your post from your recent trip. I’ve also enjoyed reading your post on several threads and learned a lot of what Regent cruises are like.

Rosemary

Appreciate your kind words:D

Agree with Rachel - there has to be a few sea days. The last one we attended was on our Amazon cruise (Miami - Miami) last November on Mariner. We did two Atlantic crossings on Explorer and they did not have it in either direction. They are definitely a lot of fun but take a whole lot of work to set up (and tear down).

We have had a Block Party and a Country Fair while aboard the Paul Gauguin. Are these lingering, sort of traditional memories from Regent or something each Captain and/or CD decides to do?

DAYS 6 - 10 (Mon 9th April to Fri 13th April)

AT SEA

Some very mixed weather during the consecutive five sea days of our crossing. Started with huge swells which then calmed slightly but still windy. Quite a lot of blue sunny skies.

Both of us signed up for the Officers & Guests shuffleboard tournament and played our opening games on Day 7. Unfortunately these turned out to be our only matches as both of us were knocked out in the first round :eek:

Entertainment thus far on this crossing has been mixed.

Only one lecturer; Band/orchestra is good; The new Production Cast need to settle in; Duo OK; Magician - have seen better.

The singer, Lovena B Fox, was excellent. She gave her second performance last night which was perfect.

Karaoke has also been entertaining as there are some very tuneful amateur singers on board.

The Country Fair (photos in a previous post) was very entertaining for both crew and guests.

Staff & crew seem to be settling in as the cruise progresses and service has improved to normal Regent high standards.

Our second visit to Chartreuse was much better than our meal early in the cruise. Food was perfectly cooked (& hot!!) and the waitstaff & sommeliers seemed more relaxed.

Unfortunately we missed the Miso glazed Sea Bass in CR, but made a special order and had it last night ............ delicious as always.

Post refurbishment snagging has continued over the last few days.

Around Day 8, our L shaped sofa had to be moved out so that Contractors could come in and repaper the wall.

Yesterday the ship’s carpenters came in to screw the full height mirror to the wall. Apparently after a couple of near accidents it was realised that gluing the mirrors to wallpaper, itself pasted on to wall lining was not very secure :rolleyes:. Hence the carpenters are going from cabin to cabin carrying out the urgent remedial works.

Still no clock at one end of the Pool Deck :(

Flossie, sorry but I'm counting the days till the ship arrives in Miami----we take off Monday for Miami to board her on the 18th.....Hope they fix everything and happy to hear the crew is hitting the Regent standards. Glad your having a good cruise, enjoy the rest of your time. But I still can't wait. :>).

DAY 11 (Sat 14th April)

Hamilton, Bermuda

We survived sailing through the Bermuda Triangle on Friday 13th :eek: and arrived this morning to a perfectly calm, sunny and warm day in Bermuda :cool:

Nice parking, Captain Serena:

111e87aefd67eefecab95304547d9741.jpg

Only an Italian driver would have managed to squeeze into that parking space ;)

I can't see a parking tariff for luxury cruise ships!!! .............. and it says we can only stay for 3 hours! Still, tomorrow is Sunday so we will probably be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by flossie009

Flossie,

Thanks so much for providing an unbiased review of your transatlantic journey. I am thinking that transatlantic may be a little more exciting than my wife and I would like but enjoy reading reviews from the brave ones!!