Good Novels to read for N Europe/Baltics

tweety522

Russka by Edward Rutherford. I really enjoy his books. He also has great novels about England: Sarum and London. I am reading Paris right now for our summer BI cruise, since we will be spending 4 days post cruise there!

Russka by Edward Rutherford. I really enjoy his books. He also has great novels about England: Sarum and London. I am reading Paris right now for our summer BI cruise, since we will be spending 4 days post cruise there!

I loved his books that are set in England. I really liked his Ruska book also but it took a while to get into that one. I remember I started it and got a little ways in and quit and sometime later went back to it and finished the whole thing. It is really long. If you have read James Michener‘s books they write in the same style. I wish Rutherford would come out with a new one.

Our guide from St. Petersburg Tours recommended

To Kill Rasputin: The Life & Death of Grigori Rasputin by Andrew Cook

I read it when I got home, but really wished I had read it before I went. I found it very interesting.:)

For fiction, crime novels by Jo Nesbo, the most widely read Norwegian novelist. There are about 15.

Also, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo novels by Stieg Larson if you will be in Stockholm or Goteborg. For Western Sweden, The Man from Beijing by Henning Markel.

Depends on how far back you want to go for historical fiction. My sister likes to reread the Horatio Hornblower books. We both like Dorothy Dunnett, who wrote two very deep historical series with very intricate political and mrechant intrigue. The first series, the Game of Kings, is six volumes and takes place in Elizabethan times. The main character is a Scot. The second series, the House of Niccolo, went to eight volumes, takes place in the 1400s, starting in Bruges. They are historically accurate with fictional characters added. EM

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and Philippa Gregory's historical fiction books are great!

I would second Philippa Gregory, but Diana Gabaldon - nah!

I once read a book of hers (probably the first in the Outlander series) and her geography was wildly inaccurate. As a native born Scot it just irritated me that she obviously hadn't actually been to the place she was describing.

Also any of the Scandinavian crime books are good - if a trifle 'dark' at times!

Camilla Lackberg, Liza Marklund, Hakan Nesser to name a few.

Depends on how far back you want to go for historical fiction. My sister likes to reread the Horatio Hornblower books. We both like Dorothy Dunnett, who wrote two very deep historical series with very intricate political and mrechant intrigue. The first series, the Game of Kings, is six volumes and takes place in Elizabethan times. The main character is a Scot. The second series, the House of Niccolo, went to eight volumes, takes place in the 1400s, starting in Bruges. They are historically accurate with fictional characters added. EM

I absolutely loved those books and was quite sad when I finished them.

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, set in Iceland, historical fiction about the last person to be executed in Iceland.

Ken Follett trilogy about WW1, WW2 & Cold War - Fall of Giants, Winter of the World & Edge of Eternity. Follows different characters in different countries whose lives cross at different points, follows their offspring in subsequent books. Russian link for your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I love my Kindle so I can choose a few books to have for this trip and I will try to take suggestions to read before the trip too.

In 1990, I lived in an apartment on Buffalo Grove Road in Wheeling. I loved the area and the friendly people, but being a native Gulf Coast Floridian, the winter weather was rather too much to bear!:o

Chicago is still my favorite city in the world.