Cuban Visa - Are they included in the cruise fare?

nolatravelgirl

Thinking about a cruise to Cuba and wanted to understand the visa process and fees for US passport holders on an NCL cruise.

• Is the cost of the visa included in the cruise fare or is this an additional fee on top of cruise fare?
  • When do you pay the fee if not included?
  • If not included how do you pay? i.e., what currency and forms of payment are required

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Here you go. Straight from the Frequently Asked Questions:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#cuba-travel

Can you answer these?

• Is the cost of the visa included in the cruise fare or is this an additional fee on top of cruise fare?
  • If not included how do you pay? i.e., what currency and forms of payment are required

Can you answer these?

Did you not read the link I provided? :confused:

Yes. These questions were not addressed.

From the link:

"The Cuban visa is valid for a single entry and allows the holder to stay in Cuba for 30 days. U.S. residents may obtain this visa (or "rosada") through Norwegian for a separate processing and procurement fee of $75 or on your own."

The fee will be added to your fare total.

From the link:

The Cuban visa is valid for a single entry and allows the holder to stay in Cuba for 30 days. U.S. residents may obtain this visa (or "rosada") through Norwegian for a separate processing and procurement fee of $75 or on your own.

Where and when do I pay this fee? Does the $75 include the visa or is this a processing fee in addition to the cost of the visa? If not inclusive in the processing fee, what is the visa fee? What currency and forms are payment are accepted to pay processing and/or visa fees? I assume by your comments that the visa/processing is NOT included in the cruise fare and thus this should be a separately budgeted item for a cruise to Cuba.

My NCL agent automatically added the $75/person cost of the Visa to our reservation. There is also an affidavit to fill out online - you will receive it by email a few weeks before your cruise. No additional fee for that. I've read (somewhere here on Cruise Critic) that there is a cheaper way ($40, maybe) to do the visa, but it seemed easier and seamless to have NCL do it, at least for me.

Where and when do I pay this fee? Does the $75 include the visa or is this a processing fee in addition to the cost of the visa? If not inclusive in the processing fee, what is the visa fee? What currency and forms are payment are accepted to pay processing and/or visa fees? I assume by your comments that the visa/processing is NOT included in the cruise fare and thus this should be a separately budgeted item for a cruise to Cuba.

"Where and when do I pay this fee?" I told you, it gets added to the total fare. It's just one charge. $75.

I don't understand what isn't clear in the link provided and the other information given. It's pretty straightforward.

Why do some people have to be "short" or should I just say "rude" after providing links with info?

I wasn't rude. I provided the link that has the info that was requested and has much more info. It's not just helpful for the OP but to others who may be reading. The OP said the info wasn't in there. I asked her if she read my link.

No rudeness here.

"Where and when do I pay this fee?" I told you, it gets added to the total fare. It's just one charge. $75.

I don't understand what isn't clear in the link provided and the other information given. It's pretty straightforward.

If you would like to quote the passage from the link that answered these questions I would be happy to concede but nowhere on the NCL website linked did I see where they addressed my specific questions regarding whether it was included, what forms (cash and currency, check charge, etc) of payments were accepted and whether it was inclusive in the fare quoted online. I am a very experienced traveler (40 countries and counting) and very well versed in research but most information widely available for travel to Cuba is with air travel and the NCL website is ambiguous to my specific questions. If you don't want to be helpful then step away from the keyboard and crawl back into your hobbit hole.

If you would like to quote the passage from the link that answered these questions I would be happy to concede but nowhere on the NCL website linked did I see where they addressed my specific questions regarding whether it was included, what forms (cash and currency, check charge, etc) of payments were accepted and whether it was inclusive in the fare quoted online. I am a very experienced traveler (40 countries and counting) and very well versed in research but most information widely available for travel to Cuba is with air travel and the NCL website is ambiguous to my specific questions. If you don't want to be helpful then step away from the keyboard and crawl back into your hobbit hole.

Seriously? Look at post #6. I cut and pasted that from the link Colin provided. I told you it was added to your total fare with NCL so whatever currency/cards you use to pay NCL is what you will pay in. It says it is a separate processing fee!

Wow. I'm done.

You're welcome for the help.

I thought maybe I was just having a bad day and that the emails just rubbed me wrong for a minute, but I guess I'm not the only one.

Sometimes the way things are written are not very clear, but somewhat confusing. It would be helpful if you are responding to a question and know the answer in a clear fashion, to just answer the question. But that's just me.

I was following this thread too because I have friends who are going to Cuba and since I've never been, I like to try to educate myself.

Hello, I just came back from Cuba on the Sky 2 weeks ago. As others have posted, the fee for the visa is $75 per person but it is not automatically included in the fare (at least it wasn't when I booked the trip). There is no additional processing fee. If you booked through a travel agent, you should confirm with him or her whether they also collected the visa fee. If not, or if you booked directly with Norwegian, just call them and tell them you need the visa. You will be charged right then in whatever currency you used to book the trip.

They say you can also obtain the visa yourself by going to the closest Cuban embassy, but there is not one where I live, so I was happy to let the cruise line handle this.

Please note that you MUST make arrangements for the visa in advance. They will hand it to you when you check in at the pier. You can't do it once you board the ship.

Hope this is helpful.

Hello, I just came back from Cuba on the Sky 2 weeks ago. As others have posted, the fee for the visa is $75 per person but it is not automatically included in the fare (at least it wasn't when I booked the trip). There is no additional processing fee. If you booked through a travel agent, you should confirm with him or her whether they also collected the visa fee. If not, or if you booked directly with Norwegian, just call them and tell them you need the visa. You will be charged right then in whatever currency you used to book the trip.

They say you can also obtain the visa yourself by going to the closest Cuban embassy, but there is not one where I live, so I was happy to let the cruise line handle this.

Please note that you MUST make arrangements for the visa in advance. They will hand it to you when you check in at the pier. You can't do it once you board the ship.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Thinking about a cruise to Cuba and wanted to understand the visa process and fees for US passport holders on an NCL cruise.

I just did this on Tuesday so here you go: I called NCL and asked to have them do the visa. The charge is $75 per person. We have four traveling in two cabins so I was charged per cabin. I paid with a credit card. You can get the visa from other companies but going through NCL is the easiest.

The visa will be available upon check in when we get to the Sky in Miami. You need to have it as well as your passport when you go through Customs and Immigration in Havana.

You didn't ask about this but travelers to Cuba have to have a special medical insurance - This IS already included in your cruise fare.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread, I booked my Cuba cruise departing Monday on Thursday (last night). I filled out the form (~3 days per prior per requirement), but no confirmation or anything? Makes me nervous to get to pier and have no visa. If they said I could get it AT the pier I'd feel a little more comfortable like I had a backup in case NCL drops the ball.

I know this is an older thread, I booked my Cuba cruise departing Monday on Thursday (last night). I filled out the form (~3 days per prior per requirement), but no confirmation or anything? Makes me nervous to get to pier and have no visa. If they said I could get it AT the pier I'd feel a little more comfortable like I had a backup in case NCL drops the ball.

You need to call NCL ASAP and pay for the visa. You pick it up when you check in. Ours were printed. It is not one of those things were you fill it out.

What you filled out was the affidavit - has nothing to do with the visa.

We are sailing on the Sky leaving June 4. We booked through a third party and I just confirmed with Terry at NCL that our Visa fee was included in the single fare price paid upfront. It will be waiting for us when we board. She made sure to confirm the other travel requirements:

* Passport BOOK valid for 6 months after the cruise

* Completion of the OFAC paperwork (e-mail with link will be sent)

On another note she mentioned that you can do excursions in Cuba that aren't booked through NCL. However, if you want to book through NCL you must do so before departing either by calling or via the NCL website. You can not book them onboard the Sky.

We are sailing on the Sky leaving June 4. We booked through a third party and I just confirmed with Terry at NCL that our Visa fee was included in the single fare price paid upfront. It will be waiting for us when we board. She made sure to confirm the other travel requirements:

* Passport BOOK valid for 6 months after the cruise

* Completion of the OFAC paperwork (e-mail with link will be sent)

On another note she mentioned that you can do excursions in Cuba that aren't booked through NCL. However, if you want to book through NCL you must do so before departing either by calling or via the NCL website. You can not book them onboard the Sky.

You most certainly can book your own excursions and not the ones that NCL sells.

And, yes, you can book NCL excursions to Havana on the ship.

Just off the Sky three hours ago.

You most certainly can book your own excursions and not the ones that NCL sells.

And, yes, you can book NCL excursions to Havana on the ship.

Just off the Sky three hours ago.

Thank you. I get worried calling and asking them anything. I asked her to confirm twice about booking on board. She said I must call the 866# or book via the website. Confusing and frustrating.

Thank you. I get worried calling and asking them anything. I asked her to confirm twice about booking on board. She said I must call the 866# or book via the website. Confusing and frustrating.

You will find if you call 10 different times, you will get 10 different answers. I’m always surprised to find out most have never sailed NCL or even been on a cruise.

We used Blexie on Tuesday and had Roly as our guide. Amazing day 130 CUCs for four people and we went everywhere including Hemenway’s house. Lunch was additional as well as Hemenways.