Found jewelry ~ vision of seas!

Wrong!!!!

Lets hope the person that lost the item is on CC and sees this thread. Do you know the chances of that happening are? Everywhere else the OP could have posted about it? I haven't seen anything else. Less likely.

Where would your first call be to find a lost item?

Blah blah blah...again...this exact conversation was had a month ago...not a similar one...The. Exact. One.

I really only read the first post in this thread and that’s all...just offering my support to the OP cause I know he/she is/was going to get abused. All the positive and supportive people of these boards (who are supposed to share a common interest) are circling like vultures waiting to dive in and get their piece of the OP and tell him/her how long they are going to spend in jail and make sure he/she knows that they are perfect and he/she is a horrible person who probably will be relegated to the bottom of the ship with the rats and peasants like Jack on the Titanic on their next cruise.

Blah blah blah...again...this exact conversation was had a month ago...not a similar one...The. Exact. One.

I really only read the first post in this thread and that’s all...just offering my support to the OP cause I know he/she is/was going to get abused. All the positive and supportive people of these boards (who are supposed to share a common interest) are circling like vultures waiting to dive in and get their piece of the OP and tell him/her how long they are going to spend in jail and make sure he/she knows that they are perfect and he/she is a horrible person who probably will be relegated to the bottom of the ship with the rats and peasants like Jack on the Titanic on their next cruise.

Mine wasn't the first post and was made 2 days ago. Are you rehashing?

You knock Royal Caribbean's lost and found dept. Someone would have to turn it in for it to be returned. Do you know that it was and you didn't get it back? Otherwise you have no standing

Yes I know it was turned in to lost and found...Or at least that’s what the waiter told me. So I do have standing!

LOST Property - property that was unintentionally left by it's true owner

MISLAID Property - property that was intentionally set down by its owner and than forgotten.

A wallet falls out of a pocket, its lost. It is left on a table in a restaurant it is mislaid.

So under common law, the finder keeps it if it is found in a common area, such as on the street. However, if it is mislaid, the shop owner (cruise line) has a better claim to the property. Think of if you find it in the safe, and it is mislaid, than the ship has claim to it, and you took it from the ship thus stealing from the ship who holds the claim to it.

The mislaid item is claimed by the business, who in theory has a better chance of reuniting the item to the owner. In this case, you found it in the stateroom, so most likely, the ship knows exactly who it belongs to. Allowing the property owner (the ship) keep it, makes it easy, and realistic for the recovery of the item to the proper owner.

Bottom line is the poster is not the owner, but the ship is the new owner and the poster stole from the ship. It was just like any other item in the ship.

MISLAID Property - property that was intentionally set down by its owner and than forgotten.

A wallet falls out of a pocket, its lost. It is left on a table in a restaurant it is mislaid.

So under common law, the finder keeps it if it is found in a common area, such as on the street. However, if it is mislaid, the shop owner (cruise line) has a better claim to the property. Think of if you find it in the safe, and it is mislaid, than the ship has claim to it, and you took it from the ship thus stealing from the ship who holds the claim to it.

The mislaid item is claimed by the business, who in theory has a better chance of reuniting the item to the owner. In this case, you found it in the stateroom, so most likely, the ship knows exactly who it belongs to. Allowing the property owner (the ship) keep it, makes it easy, and realistic for the recovery of the item to the proper owner.

Bottom line is the poster is not the owner, but the ship is the new owner and the poster stole from the ship. It was just like any other item in the ship.

I found a television in my cabin. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't have taken it?

What "common law" are you referring to? Keep in mind that these are foreign-flagged ships sailing in international waters and calling on foreign ports?

What "common law" are you referring to? Keep in mind that these are foreign-flagged ships sailing in international waters and calling on foreign ports?

The ship the OP referenced generally sails out of Galveston or New Orleans. When the ship is in Port it is subject to the laws in that Port. The property was removed from the ship while it was in Port. Texas is a common law jurisdiction but Louisiana follows civil law derived from the Napoleonic Code.

I havrhav researched Texas law but I believe that there may be statutes in effect which abrogate the common law. And I'm not even going to begin to look at Louisiana law. Too weird.

But the essence of most "found property" laws is "reasonable effort to return the item to it's owner". When a company sets up a lost and found and advertises it on their website... it stretches credibility that emploeesewould encourage a guest to take someone else's jewelry off the ship, much less encourage that guest to post vague descriptions on a message board in the hopedthat some random guest could do a better job than the company. Not a "reasonable effort".

:rolleyes:

The ship the OP referenced generally sails out of Galveston or New Orleans. When the ship is in Port it is subject to the laws in that Port. The property was removed from the ship while it was in Port. Texas is a common law jurisdiction but Louisiana follows civil law derived from the Napoleonic Code.

I havrhav researched Texas law but I believe that there may be statutes in effect which abrogate the common law. And I'm not even going to begin to look at Louisiana law. Too weird.

But the essence of most "found property" laws is "reasonable effort to return the item to it's owner". When a company sets up a lost and found and advertises it on their website... it stretches credibility that emploeesewould encourage a guest to take someone else's jewelry off the ship, much less encourage that guest to post vague descriptions on a message board in the hopedthat some random guest could do a better job than the company. Not a "reasonable effort".

Who said anything about the ship's employees encouraging anyone to take the item off the ship?

op.

Nope. Look again. Here's everything the OP has said:

"JEWELRY FOUND ON VISION OF SEAS! Please contact me & describe jewelry you lost. Room number & sailing date! Really want to return this to rightful owner! Realize this is VERY important to someone! Our room stewart said he remembers the name Anthony!"

"Was told by ship staff lost/found items held for very short time. AND this ship is leaving in few days for Europe. Staff also said MOST items found.....seldom get reunited with original owner. It is MY intention for original owner to get their jewelry back. I will KEEP looking for them - until it gets back to them! Thanks for being interested & I realize you have BEST intention in mind. I thought I would get responses like yours. I also lost a couple of things on board 2 diff ships & NEVER got items back! This is why I am trying so HARD & taking time to do it this way! Thanks again ;)"

"Thanks to everyone for kind/positive messages. Negative messages - ignored. Have several other places posted to find OWNER....not only here! Due to personal experience of not recovering my OWN lost items aboard ship....doing it this way. Will update when true OWNER is found! Thanks everyone & have great day!"

In none of their posts did they say anything about any ship employee encouraging them to take the item off of the ship.

Who said anything about the ship's employees encouraging anyone to take the item off the ship?

Go back and read the OP's posts. They claim to have had extensive conversation with their cabin steward and others. Cabin steward told them prior guest was named Anthony, they were also told ship was headed to Europe and only keeps items for a short time . ..

What Royal Caribbean personnel would actually say ... "Please bring the found items to Guest Services. We will make a record of what you found and where you found it, and then we will send it to our offices so that if the original owner calls lost and found we can give them their property."

Go back and read the OP's posts. They claim to have had extensive conversation with their cabin steward and others. Cabin steward told them prior guest was named Anthony, they were also told ship was headed to Europe and only keeps items for a short time . ..

What Royal Caribbean personnel would actually say ... "Please bring the found items to Guest Services. We will make a record of what you found and where you found it, and then we will send it to our offices so that if the original owner calls lost and found we can give them their property."

Oh I read the OP's posts. And I agree they did have these conversations. But nowhere did they state that any ship employee encouraged them to take the item off the ship, as you seem to think they did.

And now you claim to know what Royal Caribbean personnel "would actually say", even though you weren't there. Ok then.

Oh I read the OP's posts. And I agree they did have these conversations. But nowhere did they state that any ship employee encouraged them to take the item off the ship, as you seem to think they did.

And now you claim to know what Royal Caribbean personnel "would actually say", even though you weren't there. Ok then.

Do you really think that the folks working on that ship would risk their jobs by violating company policy? You're right, I wasn't there for the OP's supposed conversations with the cabin steward, guest relations, etc. Frankly, I'm convinced that the OP wasnt' there either.

Because if those conversations actually took place, Royal Caribbean's risk management team has a huge job ahead of them in retraining their employees on how to handle lost or mislaid property. I would not want to be on that team, or on the team that underwrites Royal Caribbean's insurance.

I've been handling insurance defense for over 30 years, trust me on this one.

Do you really think that the folks working on that ship would risk their jobs by violating company policy? You're right, I wasn't there for the OP's supposed conversations with the cabin steward, guest relations, etc. Frankly, I'm convinced that the OP wasnt' there either.

Because if those conversations actually took place, Royal Caribbean's risk management team has a huge job ahead of them in retraining their employees on how to handle lost or mislaid property. I would not want to be on that team, or on the team that underwrites Royal Caribbean's insurance.

I never said anything about anybody violating company policy. All I did was respond to this quote by you:

"it stretches credibility that emploeesewould encourage a guest to take someone else's jewelry off the ship, much less encourage that guest to post vague descriptions on a message board in the hopedthat some random guest could do a better job than the company."

by stating that the OP never indicated that any employee encouraged them to take someone else's jewelry off the ship or post anything on a message board.

I never said anything about anybody violating company policy. All I did was respond to this quote by you:

"it stretches credibility that emploeesewould encourage a guest to take someone else's jewelry off the ship, much less encourage that guest to post vague descriptions on a message board in the hopedthat some random guest could do a better job than the company."

by stating that the OP never indicated that any employee encouraged them to take someone else's jewelry off the ship or post anything on a message board.

To be read in your best sarcastic voice...

Careful...you are bantering back and forth with an esteemed lawyer...soon she will be discussing the jail time you are facing for your participation in these high seas crimes :'):'):'):'):')

In reference to the ridiculous lengths these lost and found threads have come to in the last month. Everybody is so serious and critical.

To be read in your best sarcastic voice...

Careful...you are bantering back and forth with an esteemed lawyer...soon she will be discussing the jail time you are facing for your participation in these high seas crimes :'):'):'):'):')

In reference to the ridiculous lengths these lost and found threads have come to in the last month. Everybody is so serious and critical.

Lol I believe you are correct!:D

Since you feel this way, did you use the alert triangle and tell the mods? :)They don't read each and every thread all the way through.

Yes I'm aware of how that works. I've been on these boards since 2005 :rolleyes:

or on the team that underwrites Royal Caribbean's insurance.

FYI, Royal is self insured except for an amount on the ships covering sinking etc.