Amsterdam Tram to Metro Fare Question

Thank you Ine. So to take a single tram trip, I can plan to use my chip & pin MasterCard. Is the machine to pay just as you enter the tram?

Either on the machine at some of the stops at the street or inside. Can be with the driver or with the guy which is sometimes in the middle of the tram. Depends on the type of tram.

Either on the machine at some of the stops at the street or inside. Can be with the driver or with the guy which is sometimes in the middle of the tram. Depends on the type of tram.

Thanks so much. So good to know that we don't need to go somewhere else to buy a single ride ticket!

I am confused! We will be in Amsterdam, our first time in Europe, for 2 days after our cruise. We plan to stay at the Doubletree which I understand is walkable from the pier. We only will need a tram to the Rijksmuseum so don't want a 3 day pass. We have no CC with a pin, but do have a debit card with a pin. Will that work? Glad I saw this thread as I had no idea that public transport was cashless.

I am confused! We will be in Amsterdam, our first time in Europe, for 2 days after our cruise. We plan to stay at the Doubletree which I understand is walkable from the pier. We only will need a tram to the Rijksmuseum so don't want a 3 day pass. We have no CC with a pin, but do have a debit card with a pin. Will that work? Glad I saw this thread as I had no idea that public transport was cashless.

You probably could get a ticket for tram at the train station with cash

I am not sure an American debit card would work on the trams

We cannot use our Canadian Debit cards overseas at POS outlets only at ATM's

I would ask at your bank so you are not stuck trying to use your debit card

JMO

We cannot use our Canadian Debit cards overseas at POS outlets only at ATM's

JMO

My Canadian debit card says Visa debit. I THINK it is supposed to work overseas but I haven’t tried it. The fees make it somewhat impractical but I may find I have to use it more for small incidentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My Canadian debit card says Visa debit. I THINK it is supposed to work overseas but I haven’t tried it. The fees make it somewhat impractical but I may find I have to use it more for small incidentals.

maybe you should check with your bank if you can use it at POS terminals or just ATM's

you probably are aware of that just because it has the VISA symbol does not mean you can use it at POS terminals

it may even tell you in the T & C's

maybe you should check with your bank if you can use it at POS terminals or just ATM's

you probably are aware of that just because it has the VISA symbol does not mean you can use it at POS terminals

it may even tell you in the T & C's

Here are some quotes from TD

"Visa Debit allows you to make debit purchases in person internationally, online, over the phone directly, and by mail-order from your TD Canada Trust bank account."

"Yes, wherever Visa is accepted around the world. Depending on the location, you may be required to enter your PIN and/or sign for the transaction."

The second point doesn't make it obvious whether I could use it contactless or not.

Here are some quotes from TD

"Visa Debit allows you to make debit purchases in person internationally, online, over the phone directly, and by mail-order from your TD Canada Trust bank account."

"Yes, wherever Visa is accepted around the world. Depending on the location, you may be required to enter your PIN and/or sign for the transaction."

The second point doesn't make it obvious whether I could use it contactless or not.

so if you have TD you are OK

I have a different bank card & it does not allow POS transactions out of Canada

That is why people need to check with their bank

Visa debit is also available through RBC, CIBC and Scotiabank. If you use any of these talk to them about getting a Visa Debit card.

OK we are not talking about the same thing

VISA DEBIT is a different card than your everyday Debit card with the Visa logo

OK we are not talking about the same thing

VISA DEBIT is a different card than your everyday Debit card with the Visa logo

No it is not. They replaced the old debit card with one that has both Interac and Visa Debit logos. It works exactly the same here, but can also be used for foreign purchases