How much to tip?

bungle66

Tipping porters - approx. 1500 potential tips per departure, say 75 per porter, that's £375 per week or say £16,000 per year, and no tax or national insurance!!

Way off Dave more like 50 to 100 days max

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why, surely it is a tip and you tip depending on the level of service you receive and as much or as little as you deem fit.

It's a service reward apparently now. We all have the same service why should others pay less. Yes I realise you can but why should you.

As a matter of interest do people tip the porters at Southampton? We normally give them a few pounds but not sure if that is enough. Last time they took the suitcases so quickly we didn’t have time to get any money out so felt really quilty.

Been going on cruises for over 30 yrs. Was never found it customary to tip porters on embarkation for accepting your suitcases. Of course there are exceptions like arriving with excessive baggage and requiring additional help beyond what they are expected to do.

People have been tipping porters on embarkation in recent years. I find it unnecessary but we all play by our own rules. Different matter on disembarkation though. Here, it is a matter of choice whether you seek the assistance of a porter and a tip of £5 to £10 would be reasonable. I make a judgement based on number of bags, time taken and distance travelled.

Been going on cruises for over 30 yrs. Was never found it customary to tip porters on embarkation for accepting your suitcases. Of course there are exceptions like arriving with excessive baggage and requiring additional help beyond what they are expected to do.

People have been tipping porters on embarkation in recent years. I find it unnecessary but we all play by our own rules. Different matter on disembarkation though. Here, it is a matter of choice whether you seek the assistance of a porter and a tip of £5 to £10 would be reasonable. I make a judgement based on number of bags, time taken and distance travelled.

We always tip the porters embarking and dis-embarking. Does no-one remember the days when you tipped the porter at the train station. When I was a child my father always tipped the porter. What has happened to the british people that we have become a nation who object to tipping.

Always bung the porters £1 at Southampton €1 in Europe and $1 in US. Just shows a bit of appreciation for helping get your cases onboard. If you're paying £1600 for a 14 night cruise what's another quid?