No More Liquor Questions

Bcoll

I'm not trying to be a "bitter-bug" but the same questions about liquor packages and smuggling liquor onboard have been asked over and over...Is it just me or do these same questions get annoying after awhile? There is a search feature on the site for a reason...

Adminitstrator: Is there anyway to make a sticky of liquor rules??? If so I'll be happy to write up the "rules of the drunk!"

Um, no offense, but there are TONS of questions that get asked over and over and over, and get argued to death. However, we don't get to say which subjects can be repeated.

Yes, I wish more posters would learn how to manipulate the search function. If you just use the "basic" option, it's the pits. If you learn how to use the advanced search options, it's much better. If you learn the best way to enter your info on the advanced search screen, it's even better. That's what I wish they would have a sticky tutorial about. Too many posters get discouraged and then ask the same questions that have been asked 100 times.

I will admit that I don't get why some posters start a thread about a subject that already has 3 or 4 or more threads actively going. Often, these threads are on the same page, so it's not like you would have to search or go back to find them. (Honestly, I think it's kind of lazy to not be willing to do ANY research by checking to see what's currently being discussed. OTOH, I don't make the rules, so I just shake my head and move on.)

beachchick

I also agree with beachchick, especially about a tutorial about the advanced search features of the site. I see many things that get repeated, but that's OK because sometimes I see things from a different point of view.

Honestly, I have gotten a chuckle of the number of times that the subject of liquor comes up, and it also seems that some of the old timers immediatly point to the search feature.

Not long ago, someone in my office was driving to San Diego for a cruise and asked me about parking. A simple search on CC showed a thread to the Port of San Diego and parking, which I passed on. This site has so much information, it's just wonderful.

Rick

One of the problems with using the search feature is the material in a thread may be dated after just a couple of weeks. All the cruise lines seem to say one thing one week and do something else the next.

That's why many times, material posted on here from the web site is worthless. I prefer hearing the experience the cruiser has had.

If we are to stop repeat questions this would be a board of few posts. There are some people who have good input that are not on the boards 24/7(like some of us). So the repeat is good. The person who asked the latest liquor question was a first timer. Give him a break.

The liquor policy on RCCL, for example. We cruised last summer, when you could still purchase a bottle on board, pay extra, and take it to your cabin. If some people weren't asking "the same old questions" I wouldn't have known that the policy changed.

Before our next cruise I'll probably post another question, directed to recent cruisers, to see what the situation is at that time.

If repeated topics would be eliminated this board would be simply dead as almost every question has been asked and been answered before but as others said information, rules, etc. change from time to time and I have no problem with questions being asked over and over again.

BTW even this topic has been discussed here.

Though I agree with beachick. I too think it´s annoying sometimes having the same topic multiple times on the first one or two pages. I think reading through the first pages to find if a topic is already on disussion actually should be possible for everybody before posting the same topic over again.

I sometimes have a felling that on this boards there are waves of topics coming and going. Once a new topic is posted there are several others starting a thread with the same or very similar topic.

actually how do you smuggle liquor on board?

What is the dress code for formal nights?

Missing Honeymooner?

What shore excursions should I do?

What is so great about Royal Caribbean?

What can my teen do on the ship?

What time does the ship let us get onboard?

How good is the food onboard?

How do I upgrade?

Should I use my TA or RCCL?

hmmm I am sure there are more of em... and I have no care how many times people ask em, cause all I need to do is not open the thread if I do not want to read it..

people would be better off just enjoying themselves and trying to have fun, instead of trying to be wanna be dectectives, wanna be travel agents, and wanna be web designers..

The liquor policy on RCCL, for example. We cruised last summer, when you could still purchase a bottle on board, pay extra, and take it to your cabin. If some people weren't asking "the same old questions" I wouldn't have known that the policy changed.

Before our next cruise I'll probably post another question, directed to recent cruisers, to see what the situation is at that time.

I agree, things change all the time. Let the moderators decide a dup and the posters post.

Please keep in mind this is also a "community". People like to feel involved, by asking or giving information. Helps build the excitement for their future trip, so on. It's not just about getting information, but "meeting" people with a similar passion for cruising who can discuss the finer points for hours on end. As always, if you don't have an interest in a topic, avoid it. Most threads are pretty clearly labeled as to their subject matter.

I'm not trying to be a "bitter-bug" but the same questions about liquor packages and smuggling liquor onboard have been asked over and over...Is it just me or do these same questions get annoying after awhile? There is a search feature on the site for a reason...

Adminitstrator: Is there anyway to make a sticky of liquor rules??? If so I'll be happy to write up the "rules of the drunk!"

Why are they annoying? It is that hard just to skip over them and look for a post that you are interested in reading and/or posting in?

You all need to cool it. There are new people here everyday that need advice and don't realize how often people ask the same questions. I love reading all the different alcohol questions everyday. I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring it on board too. Don't listen to these people newbies.Just keep asking away. Hmmmm. Think I'll go post another alcohol question.

I think that part of this problem is when posters inquire about a topic that is already being discussed just a few posts down on the board. I must confess, I find that a bit annoying.

What I have done in this instance is to refer the new poster to the previous post that has the information being sought. If done in a friendly manner, this might be a good way to get newbies to make better use of the boards.

Just my tuppence.....

actually how do you smuggle liquor on board?

What is the dress code for formal nights?

Missing Honeymooner?

What shore excursions should I do?

What is so great about Royal Caribbean?

What can my teen do on the ship?

What time does the ship let us get onboard?

How good is the food onboard?

How do I upgrade?

Should I use my TA or RCCL?

Here's three more:

Do you need insurance?

Who is better, RCI or Carnival?

Are jeans okay in the dining room?

I quit reading the liquor threads a very long time ago. It's the same old arguing, debating, etc. every time. But it doesn't bother me a bit that they're there. It's very easy to skip them and only read the topics of interest.

So what if some subjects have been discussed over and over. After all, isn't that what this board is for? Maybe I am wrong. But I like it just the way it is. If you do not want to read about a particular subject, you are certainly free to skip over it.

Archived