Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

We have really lucked out so far in weather. Cold in the morning (by some people's standards) and by the afternoon it's wise to have layered - so you can take them off.

Fabulous weather so far - I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

Just FYI, the poor folks of Newfoundland had 30cm of snow yesterday. Enjoy the cold (warm) weather! Also, a reminder if you don't mind, can you tell me what you think of the shops onboard.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Do I remember correctly that Killybegs is the port several miles up a river which was once a flying boat airport?

I have memories of leaving a HAL tour behind because the pilot warned they needed to sail immediately before the tide changed, and then sending a tender back to pick them up a couple miles downstream.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Jacqui, I notice that chilled soups are noticeably missing from the dinner menus. Will you please ask if they are likely to reappear. Maybe by September? They are one of the best thing about dinner.

Thanks.

once a flying boat airport?

It's a shame that we don't have flying boats anymore, with their ability to use any stretch of open water. (A bit like the smaller ships getting in to ports that the big ones can't manage).

They were so important in the heyday of the empire. Southampton was a big place as they made them there, the Medway too. There was a Short Sunderland there a couple of decades back that they were trying to restore. It's gone now, so perhaps they ran out of funds and had to sell it to a museum.

Do I remember correctly that Killybegs is the port several miles up a river which was once a flying boat airport?

I have memories of leaving a HAL tour behind because the pilot warned they needed to sail immediately before the tide changed, and then sending a tender back to pick them up a couple miles downstream.

Roy

The Flying boats were based in Foynes, which is upstream on the River Shannon. Foynes port still operates as a commercial port and the aviation element was replaced by Shannon Airport.

Big day today, tomorrow and the next day. Cross your fingers for us for Bantry. We are doing the ring of Skellig and good weather is a must.

Fabulous weather so far - I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

I drove Skellig Ring yesterday (Friday 25th) in perfect conditions.:D

A lot of the pubs/cafes had free wifi if you purchased food or beverage.

P.S. the weather forecast is not looking too good for Sunday, you may have jinxed it ok!:')

I'm getting a little bit concerned. Prinsendam is usually one of the first ships in the fleet with booking schedules. This year there's nothing after the Amazon at the end of 2019. I'm also a bit concerned that both the Grand South America and 2019 Amazon are longer than usual like they think the 2019 versions could be the last and the want to make them extra special. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Have you heard any scuttlebutt about 2020 plans?

Roy

Scuttlebutt on the Veendam last week was that HAL has signed a sales agreement and she will be gone at the end of 2019. Don’t know how reliable that info is, and don’t remember the buyer...sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL has signed a sales agreement and she will be gone at the end of 2019. Don’t know how reliable that info is, and don’t remember the buyer...sorry!

This will be sad news for some devoted followers, but it might be good news for us. It depends on who the buyer is.

Roy

We didn't need to go up river Roy.

We anchored in the harbour. The water near the harbour is very shallow so it was a bit of a ride in.

It took a bit of manoeuvering but despite the inconsistency in the tender procedures, we made our tour on time.

I drove Skellig Ring yesterday (Friday 25th) in perfect conditions.:D

A lot of the pubs/cafes had free wifi if you purchased food or beverage.

P.S. the weather forecast is not looking too good for Sunday, you may have jinxed it ok!:')

We were supposed to have showers on Sunday. The skies opened and it poured as we headed out in our vans for the Ring of Kerry and Skellig. But, the rain stopped and we had quite decent views when it counted so all was good. It was the first time I took my umbrella and it was still never used. :)

Sorry everyone for ralling behind.

No free wifi yesterday on our tour (no time and no place for it) and of course, when I had a chance the ship's wifi wasn't co-operating.

Usually it works well especially early in the morning but for some reason there was no service.

We've had a busy couple of days so I'm stealing a bit of free wifi time and will look to see where I left off.

Scuttlebutt on the Veendam last week was that HAL has signed a sales agreement and she will be gone at the end of 2019. Don’t know how reliable that info is, and don’t remember the buyer...sorry!

Scuttlebutt here is that it was sold to a German ship BUT it's an FB rumour and not sourced on board. Rene our HD knew nothing about it.

Just FYI, the poor folks of Newfoundland had 30cm of snow yesterday. Enjoy the cold (warm) weather! Also, a reminder if you don't mind, can you tell me what you think of the shops onboard.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The shops seem much the same to me, Gerry.

Watches seem pricier according to DH. They did have some sales outside of the store (near the library entrance) and the World cruise sweat shirts were of good quality and 1/2 price. We bought one each anticipating cold weather and so far, they haven't been worn. LOL.

I haven't noticed much O merchandise. Just a few tshirts with O and the HAL logo inside.

The Prinsendam t shirts are still on board (the ones that say Prinsendam, not Holland America).

Let me know what interests you and I will get DH's opinion as he spends more time in the shops than I do ;)

Scuttlebutt here is that it was sold to a German ship BUT it's an FB rumour and not sourced on board. Rene our HD knew nothing about it.

Time will tell, I guess. We loved the Ryndam. Rumors were swirling about re her sale. On board, they claimed they knew nothing about it...we all know how that ended. [emoji20]

Jacqui, I notice that chilled soups are noticeably missing from the dinner menus. Will you please ask if they are likely to reappear. Maybe by September? They are one of the best thing about dinner.

Thanks.

You're right Ruth. There hasn't been one cold soup on the menu. I'll ask Dedi tonight if he can tell us what is going on.

I like the cold soups too. But the warm soups have been very good.

By the way, the other night liver and onions was on the menu. I am so glad I asked for a little taste. OMG, I have never tasted such good liver ever. Everyone who had it was commenting on it for a day. It was so scrumptious.

You're right Ruth. There hasn't been one cold soup on the menu. I'll ask Dedi tonight if he can tell us what is going on.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I do have a Plan B to go to if there are no cold soups in September, but I will miss the soups.

By the way, the other night liver and onions was on the menu. I am so glad I asked for a little taste. OMG, I have never tasted such good liver ever. Everyone who had it was commenting on it for a day. It was so scrumptious.

That would be absolute heaven! Liver and onions followed by Bread pudding! mmmmmmmmm! :hearteyes:

We were supposed to have showers on Sunday. The skies opened and it poured as we headed out in our vans for the Ring of Kerry and Skellig. But, the rain stopped and we had quite decent views when it counted so all was good. It was the first time I took my umbrella and it was still never used. :)

That is good news! I am happy for you that it worked out ok. Sunday in Cork was very wet and very misty, so you were lucky!

It was a small ships forum on Facebook and also appeared on shipbuilding forum in Norway. The company that the Prinsendam is suppose to be sold to is Phoenix Reisen.

Interestingly the rumor started on the Amsterdam from a passenger who has the same TA as we do. His TA told him. I asked my TA and she had no information. Then I asked a friend who has lots of HAL connections and as far as I know all he has found is the Facebook comment.

We just booked the Holy Lands and TA Cruise in 2019 and our friends booked the same plus the supposedly last cruise, the Amazon.

We will find out soon when more 2020 itineraries are released. I certainly hope it isn’t true, but am really fearful that this time the rumor is true!

Thanks. Much appreciated. I do have a Plan B to go to if there are no cold soups in September, but I will miss the soups.

Ruth, I asked Dedi last night and I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the cold soups have been cancelled fleet wide from what He understands.

He said there was little demand and it takes a lot of room and time in the kitchen.

My suggestion is to put comments on any surveys that you do. I certainly will put one on mine. but, for now, they are gone and not expected to be back.

Sorry.

b493c7e688a8812e82fb0a13c3fe0aae.jpg

Our guide took us to this hidden garden. Well known by the local people and in fact, you can find a shovel here and there as everyone pitches in to care for it.

Climate is fantastic here for growing. They even have a banana tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk