Should I go with Regent Seven Seas or Oceania? Thoughts?

LOL, exactly the opposite!

Regent is affectionately known as Gods waiting room! :halo:

On Regent, if you are 50 you are considered a wee chicken. Yes it is God’s waiting room and the same can be said for other luxury lines.

Actually overall, the passengers have been older n Oceania on the cruises I have done. On our cruise last year, I was one of the youngest passengers onboard, and I was 57 then.

It just depends on itinerary.

TravelCat2;

Did you likewise find that generally the age of cruisers skewed higher on Oceania than on Regent?

That question made me laugh. On the Regent board, Oceania cruises are described as mostly having walkers. Actually, from our experience there is no difference in the age of cruisers. The age mostly depends upon the length of the cruise. People that are not retired (and many retire in their early 50's) usually cannot take a long cruise so the age on long cruises tend to skew higher (also on transatlantic cruises since it does not require a lot of walking).

Alaska cruises and 7 night cruises skew much younger (as do Mediterranean cruises during the summer).

I'm not sure if Oceania has a children's program during the summer but Regent does so there are much younger passengers on cruises with a children's program.

This is based on my experience with both Oceania and Regent.

Rachel - for some reason I didn't see your post. Agree with your comments.

Just got off Marina and my husband and I were one of a FEW able passengers. I found myself helping a lot of people with the gangway and there were parking lots full of motorized and non-motorized walkers.

I am sure it depends on the itinerary.

I am more comfortable on Oceania for a number of reasons, but certainly hope The Marina is going in to drydock soon.

We have cruised both since 2004 but for the last several years we have been on Oceania only so I cannot speak to the quality of the food, drinks etc on Regent at the present time. What I can say is that for the last few cruises on Oceania we have been overjoyed with the food. We sail in "high end" suites and can eat in the speciality restaurants every evening (if we want to). Jacques is one of the best French restaurants I have eaten in anywhere, including in France (I live 45 mins from the French and Italian borders...) The Grand Dining Room food is very good too as is the Terrace Café, at its level. What I like about Oceania is not having the excursions included so I do not pay for them. We arrange our own excursions in ports we haven't been to and do our own thing in ones we have. We take the full drinks package (though our recent suites all came with 6 bottles of liquor or wine of our choice) just so we don't have to sign for the drinks. All this said - our next cruise which is not until 2020 is on Regent and on Splendor at that. Panama Canal LA to Miami. We opted for that one over a similar one on Oceania because (a) we wanted to try the new ship and (b) Oceania's canal cruise was on one of the old "R" ships and I do not care for those.

Personally I do not think you will go wrong with either company. In your shoes I would pick the itinerary I wanted and then not worry about which one it happens to be!

Thanks for the quick replies! One of the problems with both lines is that we are not near a "gateway" airport, so that takes some of the savings away.

We have the same issue. However, when we asked if they would consider the airport nearest our home as a gateway, which also has direct flights to Atlanta, the folks at Oceania had no problem giving us the gateway rate ($199 round trip per person).