Carnival 6,600 Passenger Mega Ship that runs on LNG!?!?!?

It doesn't "weigh" 184,000 tons, more like 80-90,000 tons. While its passenger and crew count may make it the 5th largest cruise ship in the world, it is far from the 5th "largest ship in the world". Even Oasis of the Seas and her sisters are about 16th overall in ship size.

Exactly. That's like saying a Mini Cooper that seats 5 is larger than a 2 seat semi truck. These new ships are nowhere near the largest.

There is a upcoming international maritime requirement for cruise ships to reduce emissions from the stack; meaning either LNG, some type of scrubbing system since many ships burn a heavy fuel (Bunker C or #6 oil) or something else. Carnival recently signed an agreement with Port Canaveral to home port this ship so I would guess that includes the port or Carnival paying for the installation of a LNG loading facility. The LNG will probably be a future trend expanding nationwide.

Regarding the Mega ship, having never been on one I cannot comment, however, it does seem to work for RCL and NCL. If you are going to stay competitive...

There is a upcoming international maritime requirement for cruise ships to reduce emissions from the stack; meaning either LNG, some type of scrubbing system since many ships burn a heavy fuel (Bunker C or #6 oil) or something else. Carnival recently signed an agreement with Port Canaveral to home port this ship so I would guess that includes the port or Carnival paying for the installation of a LNG loading facility. The LNG will probably be a future trend expanding nationwide.

Regarding the Mega ship, having never been on one I cannot comment, however, it does seem to work for RCL and NCL. If you are going to stay competitive...

The IMO sulfur content limits coming in 2020 are to reduce emissions for all ships, worldwide, not just cruise ships. There is still going to be residual fuel oil (#6 oil) that is de-sulfurized and can meet this requirement of 0.5%. Low sulfur diesel fuel will also meet the requirements. Use of scrubbers will allow ships to continue to burn high sulfur residual fuel (3%) and meet the requirements. LNG is also an alternative.

I don't believe that Port Canaveral is installing any LNG bunkering facility, since this requires a re-liquifaction plant, which is a lot of infrastructure. Carnival is in partnership with Shell, and Shell is building an LNG bunker barge to service Carnival's LNG ships, which will load LNG from the nearest liquifaction facility, which is currently Jacksonville. I wouldn't expect to see a great move to LNG as fuel in certainly the short term, since converting existing ships to LNG would cost almost as much as a new ship, due to the cryogenic storage and handling equipment. Newbuilds may trend towards LNG, but the bunkering infrastructure is not there now, and requires a large influx of capital to get it built.

I think RCI was brilliant in designing Oasis Class. For the most part, they are very uncrowded. NCL, on the other hand, wasn't so brilliant. Escape was the most crowded ship I have ever sailed. Unfortunately, I think Carnival is going more the way of NCL's model with these new ships. Still a good time, but very chaotic. In the end, these mega ships seem to be a great business model.

I think RCI was brilliant in designing Oasis Class. For the most part, they are very uncrowded. NCL, on the other hand, wasn't so brilliant. Escape was the most crowded ship I have ever sailed. Unfortunately, I think Carnival is going more the way of NCL's model with these new ships. Still a good time, but very chaotic. In the end, these mega ships seem to be a great business model.

Could be but if the public spaces are not sized in accordance with number of passengers will be a very crowded ship.

To many people complain about size of main lounge and comedy club on Vista and that seems to be the direction they are heading.

The swimming pools on the new Norwegian ships are so small it's ridiculous.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app