Norwegian Air Shuttle

rollie

I have done a good bit of research on them as we are considering using them also. It seems that most people have trouble on flights that require connections. Late departures and missed connections.

Cancelled flights can be a problem too.

I have a year to plan so this is what I am doing. Fortunately for me, I am looking at a direct route from NY. You can check flight status for 3 past days and see when the plane actually took off. I also learned that some routes don't run every day. I started out looking at flights that fly in on Thursday before a Sunday cruise departure. I realized that that route doesn't fly on Fridays. Am I willing to take a chance on that flight getting cancelled and not being able to flight until Saturday? Nope.

Hopefully we will be flying in a week early and if we get a delayed a little it won't be a problem.

I think also some people don't realize how restrictive the cheapest fares are. No food, no seat assignment, $ for all luggage.

Can you tell I like to micro-manage my vacation?

Used them last year for a flight to Barcelona out of Boston with a connection in Gatwick. There was a slight delay with the connecting flight to Barcelona but it was the day before the cruise so an hour delay wasn’t that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we needed a 1 way flight from UK to Orlando for Transatlantic cruise back to Europe

regular airlines such as BA had stupid prices with one way being more than return!

we found Norwegian and for £100more our chosen flight we could choose premium over economy[an anomaly]

very glad had premium with wider seats,foot rests

included meals were awful but at least had couple of passes of free drink trolley!

in flight service even in premium bit indifferent compared to service on BA Virgin but their prices were stupid

Thanks for the replies everyone. The flight we are looking at, is Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. It’s the only non stop flight to Barcelona from Florida. The premium seats are priced lower than most other carriers regular seats. The only drawback is they only fly twice a a week.

Rollie

Thanks for the replies everyone. The flight we are looking at, is Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. It’s the only non stop flight to Barcelona from Florida. The premium seats are priced lower than most other carriers regular seats. The only drawback is they only fly twice a a week.

Rollie

Glad to hear all of the good experiences. We are in Atlanta so we will have to get to another airport. We are looking at the premium cabin. It is only slightly more than flying coach on Delta. I think it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have traveled with Norwegian Air 3 times over the Atlantic. Been happy all the times.

One time we did economy, the 2 others we have been in premium.

We all think premium class was worth is, as you got better seats, luggage and food included.

In economy, you can choose a slightly more expensive fare to get seat reservation, food and luggage included.

On our return to Norway, our flight from the US was delayed, so we didn't make our connection in Sweden, but when we landed, Norwegian had automatically rebooked us on the next flight to Norway.

Rollie

Not sure when you are going but we fly out in just under two weeks (May 27th @ :45). We changed our original flight when the airlines contacted us with a date/time change that we found unacceptable to us. In the end, we chose to fly 3 days earlier so as to spend more time in Barcelona with no change fee. Sounds like people have had a positive experience and expecting the same. Happy travels BTW, if you are flying in for a cruise, see if your cruise line has flight offers like Princess' EZAir that we will use later this summer to come home from Copenhagen.

We are also flying with them in 1 week.... EWR to BCN direct flight.... this will be the first time we have flown with Norwegian air. I often have a hard time sleeping on long hall flights. This time I saved some CC points and used them to upgrade to Premium seats. Hope this helps . I will try to post my thoughts when we get back...

Flew Orlando to London Gatwick in January no problems. Besides not having entertainment screens it was worth the cheap fare. Flying with them next January to Singapore as they were by far the cheapest and they were flying direct

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also flying with them in 1 week.... EWR to BCN direct flight.... this will be the first time we have flown with Norwegian air. I often have a hard time sleeping on long hall flights. This time I saved some CC points and used them to upgrade to Premium seats. Hope this helps . I will try to post my thoughts when we get back...

our flight in premium was day time but still used the footrest support and thought would make easier to sleep on night flight along with wider seat

• 2 weeks later...

We are scheduled to fly on June 5. Yesterday, I received a text from Norwegian stating that our flight would no longer be serviced by Norwegian, but by another carrier-HiFly. Our plane will be smaller and have a different seating configuration. The seats we paid a bit more for that offered extra leg room (my husband is 7 feet tall) would no longer available. Our only choice was standard seats. The first person I spoke to (after a 1:45 minute hold) was of no help. He couldn't even find seats for us together. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he told me couldn't transfer me and that I needed to send Norwegian an email. After I calmed down, called back, and after another 1:30 hold, I spoke to woman who was much more helpful. She found an exit seat for my husband and my daughter and I will be together right behind him. She also talked me through the email process to receive a price adjustment. After a exploring the Norwegian website, where the seat configuration for the original plane/flight was still up, I noticed the plane is barely half full. That's why they changed planes on us. Our return flight is all but full, so fingers crossed, we won't have any issues. I won't book with them again no matter how good the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Our plane home was switched to HiFly as well, but the premium seat people were essentially upgraded to some very nice lay-flat business seats. There was no power in the seats in economy, so no charging phones like on the airbus on the way over, but they handed out ipads loaded with movies and TV shows, and I had a couple external batteries, so it was ok.

Sounds like you are buying premium, so that comes with a checked bag, food, and seat reservations. The baggage is more limited than a lot of other airlines, so make sure to read the fine print. I was fine with no food - I paid much less for the food I brought on and was probably happier with it.

My traveling companion lost (pickpocket most likely) her passport on the way to the airport, and Norwegian Air was wonderful about it. They contacted the embassy, sent a picture of her to them, and she was cleared to fly (!) So, I'm pretty upbeat about their service at the moment.

We just returned from our MED cruise and we flew Norwegian over and back. As stated above, our flight was from EWR to BCN direct. I had saved some CC points and upgraded to Premium seating so my comments are based on this option. With premium seating you have access to the lounge area prior to your flight. Seating here was comfortable and food, beer, wine, liquor and other beverages were included.

The cabin seats were very roomy with plenty of leg room. They tipped back quite far and had extendable foot rests to aid in sleep. Blankets and ear buds were provided. 2 meals were served with a variety of included beverages. After your main meal Baileys and or Cognac were offered.

Movies could be viewed on a screen that stowed in the arm rest of your seat when not in use.

Over all we thought the flight and service were nice. Norwegian air does not service our local airport so it would need to be a "special" trip to justify the 3.5 hour drive to the EWR. Based on this trip I would fly Norwegian again.

Great news. We are looking at doing this too. I am planning to stick with nonstop flights in the premium cabin. We live in Atlanta so getting to Newark is pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those of you being switched to flights serviced by HiFly should really be venting your frustration with Rolls-Royce. The early failure rate of their Trent engines is forcing carriers with fleets of 787 jets to do replacement of those engines. In an effort to keep all routes serviced carriers whose fleet is all 787 need to find optional planes or cancel routes. Norwegian is not the only airline suffering this. They have apparently elected to make the change primarily on their Barcelona routes until the problem is solved.

• 4 weeks later...

We have booked a non-stop flight from BCN to EWR after our cruise in October. Glad to hear the positive remarks about Norwegian as we have never flown on this airline. The cost for two people one way was so much less than all of the other major airlines we checked that we decided to give them a try.

• 4 weeks later...

We have flown Norwegian Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen twice. Great experience both times. The Dreamliners are great aircraft. We will be going on our third transatlantic flight with Norwegian in September, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone used this airline to get across the big pond? How was the experience. I noticed that they seem to have very good prices.

Rollie

We flew them earlier this month, London to NYC. Their ground personnel and customer service sets a new standard for disorganized. After enduring changes in the aircraft, delay in departure (4 hours), directions to a phantom pick-up station for food vouchers, misleading and contradictory text messages and misinformation at the airport, we actually had a pleasant flight. Nevertheless, I would never use them again. EVER !