Questions about dining and dress code

Mom2B&Z

I really hope MSC do not allow a drop in standards of dress , When eating in a nice restaurant , especially on Formal night you should dress accordingly if you dont want to dress "up" then eat in the buffet . Just for 1 or 2 nights it is wonderful seeing all the formal clothes , last year on RCI they allowed people into the Main restaurant on formal night in shorts and flip flops .

Im fed up of reading "its my vacation I will do what I want " there is a thing called standards !!!!!!

And herein lies the problem, particularly on cruises out of Miami. While I personally follow the published guidelines and wear at least a lounge suit and tie, I know from experience that Americans dress more casually as a rule, and American cruise lines relax their guidelines. MSC walks a fine line on the dress code by issuing dress requirements and then saying they are only a "recommendation" or guide only. Do I wish others dressed decently, if only for two and half hours on two nights? Yes, I do. Will it ruin my cruise if someone wears shorts and a t-shirt? No. We were in Yacht Club in March on Seaside, and one couple from Belgium wore shorts and casual shorts every night. A couple behind us on Saturday night talked (loudly) about how the two gentlemen should be forced to eat in the buffet. I happened to be chatting with them by the pool on Wednesday, and they mentioned that their flight to the US had been cancelled and they were switched to Business class on Air France. They made the trip, but their luggage did not. Unfortunately, their luggage had been forwarded to the ship's next port of call of Nassau, but our ship bypassed the Bahamas due to weather. I'm sure they would have dressed nicely, and probably learned to pack a change of clothes in carry-on luggage in the future, but I would not want to see them turned away from the Yacht Club dining room due to not having "suitable" clothing! Until MSC is consistent, I am willing to let people where what they want. I am not the fashion police.

. MSC should be consistent with enforcing the policy they have, then there wouldn't be the need to ask the question and for people to constantly debate the issue.

I really hope MSC do not allow a drop in standards of dress , When eating in a nice restaurant , especially on Formal night you should dress accordingly if you dont want to dress "up" then eat in the buffet . Just for 1 or 2 nights it is wonderful seeing all the formal clothes , last year on RCI they allowed people into the Main restaurant on formal night in shorts and flip flops .

Im fed up of reading "its my vacation I will do what I want " there is a thing called standards !!!!!!

AGREED: As I stated before: "Totally self-centered and without regard for fellow pax".

I rest my case.:D;)

And herein lies the problem, particularly on cruises out of Miami. While I personally follow the published guidelines and wear at least a lounge suit and tie, I know from experience that Americans dress more casually as a rule, and American cruise lines relax their guidelines. MSC walks a fine line on the dress code by issuing dress requirements and then saying they are only a "recommendation" or guide only. Do I wish others dressed decently, if only for two and half hours on two nights? Yes, I do. Will it ruin my cruise if someone wears shorts and a t-shirt? No. We were in Yacht Club in March on Seaside, and one couple from Belgium wore shorts and casual shorts every night. A couple behind us on Saturday night talked (loudly) about how the two gentlemen should be forced to eat in the buffet. I happened to be chatting with them by the pool on Wednesday, and they mentioned that their flight to the US had been cancelled and they were switched to Business class on Air France. They made the trip, but their luggage did not. Unfortunately, their luggage had been forwarded to the ship's next port of call of Nassau, but our ship bypassed the Bahamas due to weather. I'm sure they would have dressed nicely, and probably learned to pack a change of clothes in carry-on luggage in the future, but I would not want to see them turned away from the Yacht Club dining room due to not having "suitable" clothing! Until MSC is consistent, I am willing to let people where what they want. I am not the fashion police.

Exceptional and unfortunate circumstances. I am not the fashion police, I am not the smoking police, I'm not the anything police but MCS, and any other cruiseline or hotel or venue should be if they have a policy in place. Quite bizarre that people adhering to a policy are being vilified and the 'it's my vacation so I can do as I please and rules don't apply' are lauded. The same principles did not apply on a similar discussion regarding smoking areas and adult only areas. If you are on vacation and smoke can you therefore smoke wherever you want to despite the policy? Perhaps it's just me but if I've signed up to Terms and Conditions and or booked a venue with policies I abide by them.

I have to say, I just really don't pay any attention to how others are dressed. Though now it has me being super critical of what I should wear and pack. Personally I rarely wear shorts, and never have to dinner. However I have done capri pants (Below the knee) and I don't ever wear T-Shirts. I didn't want to pack heels and fancy dresses for gala night. Mostly as I am becoming limited with luggage space as it is, as I pack some shorts/shirts for day, and then separate clothing for dinner/night time. Though I pretty much only have jeans, I work in a manufacturing facility so being dressy is not a requirement for work.

I don't own any sandals really which leaves me with just heels with dresses, which I don't find super comfortable to wear. Guess I will re-look at what I have packed for this coming Saturday and see what I can change.

I have to say, I just really don't pay any attention to how others are dressed. Though now it has me being super critical of what I should wear and pack. Personally I rarely wear shorts, and never have to dinner. However I have done capri pants (Below the knee) and I don't ever wear T-Shirts. I didn't want to pack heels and fancy dresses for gala night. Mostly as I am becoming limited with luggage space as it is, as I pack some shorts/shirts for day, and then separate clothing for dinner/night time. Though I pretty much only have jeans, I work in a manufacturing facility so being dressy is not a requirement for work.

I don't own any sandals really which leaves me with just heels with dresses, which I don't find super comfortable to wear. Guess I will re-look at what I have packed for this coming Saturday and see what I can change.

Sounds like you'll be fine. You'll blend in with the majority based on what you mention you're packing. Don't let others intimidate you.

So is there just a guideline or is it a policy that no shorts are to be worn. Therein lies the answer whether it must be done or is it should or shall which is a whole different meaning.

If it is a policy then the “ I am on vacation and will do what I want “ statement does not apply ( well it might but you May pay the consequences and be refused entry) but if it is a guideline then you can certainly wear them whether other people agree or not. Me, I prefer that people dress for dinner but can’t force my will on anyone.

No one is trying to intimidate anyone into taking things they would not want to or to dress in a particular way.

MSC either need to stick to a dress code or stop suggesting one, they also need to have both dining rooms doing the same thing and not having one turn people away while the other allows them in wearing certain items of clothing.

Having worn three different uniforms sometimes on the same day, one of which included a tie, I like many others was glad to be free of it after 30 years, that said I am quite happy to wear a suit and tie for a few hours on two nights on a cruise for a formal or Gala night along with many others, those that don't can always go to the buffet.

GT ... Quite right. what next waiters serving people in shorts and T shirts!

Would these same people who advocate T shirts and Shorts be allowed to do the same in a Restaurant at home ? Spoke to one of the travel agents we use this morning who agrees that anyone on Gala nights who want to wear shorts etc should be sent to the Buffet.

I know of no public restaurants here on Oahu that will not serve you wearing shorts. Most people do wear shorts to dinner.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk