WiFi Social vs Value

ashton57

Leaving this week and need to choose between social Wi-Fi and value Wi-Fi. I’ve read on here there’s not that much of a difference between the two. Is that correct? Basically I just need it to keep in touch with my kids back home through Facebook and Facebook messenger. Maybe also post a few pictures on Facebook. That’s about it. Any advice greatly appreciated :-)

I tested all three on three different devices on the Dream and none of them worked well. The premium package equates to a Verizon jet-pack in a bad area on a 3G only network if you are familiar with that. Value would not even pull up a Facebook page in a reasonable wait time. Social would be the lowest I would consider buying again if I needed any contact.

I tested all three on three different devices on the Dream and none of them worked well. The premium package equates to a Verizon jet-pack in a bad area on a 3G only network if you are familiar with that. Value would not even pull up a Facebook page in a reasonable wait time. Social would be the lowest I would consider buying again if I needed any contact.

Social is the lowest with Value in the middle and Premium at the top.

There's a big difference between the two. The social one says you can go to the social sites and no other websites. The value one lets you browse the rest of the internet. All are slow although I've had the value one on last two cruises and I thought it was ok for what it was. You just need the social one if you are just intending on using Facebook though and expect a picture to take a few minutes to upload.

I always get the Social Media internet when I sail Carnival. We just got off the Sunshine on Saturday and what a waste of money the social internet was. It was beyond slow. iMessage worked the best and I tried to upload a picture to Facebook on Tuesday morning it posted midday on Wednesday. So I gave up with that! We left our children behind, so I only got it so we could keep in touch with them. Facebook messenger seemed to work ok, again slow! I was missing my daughter’s senior prom, so I desperately wanted to see pictures and it took a bit for me to see them uploaded through messenger. Facebook I found I could post comments, but could not see hardly any of the posts on my newsfeed. Just plan on having patience if you decide to go with the social media option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a big difference between the two. The social one says you can go to the social sites and no other websites. The value one lets you browse the rest of the internet. All are slow although I've had the value one on last two cruises and I thought it was ok for what it was. You just need the social one if you are just intending on using Facebook though and expect a picture to take a few minutes to upload.

I bought Social, as I just want to post pics on social media and talk to people on social media. I don't care about visiting and reading websites when I'm on vacation. Social and Value use the same speed. Only "Premium" for streaming uses fast speed. You actually can go to some websites (airline websites) on Social. From their website:

Access these social and chat apps:

• Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook Messenger
  • WhatsApp

as well as the most popular airline sites:

• American Airlines
  • Delta
  • United
  • Southwest
  • Spirit
  • Jet Blue
  • Virgin America
  • Air Canada
  • Alaska Air
  • Westjet
  • Hawaii Airlines
  • Allegiant

• 1 year later...

depends on what ship you are sailing on. The newer ships like vista, horizon, panorama they have very good wifi. I was on vista last year and we had the middle package. My wife made 30+ calls home to our girls on wi-fi calling in the middle of the Caribbean and it worked perfectly. Also was able to facetime, imessage ect ect with no issue.