New to Princess Questions - Golden Princess Alaska 2018

txsmiles

Hi everyone - hoping to get some information about a few Princess, and Golden Princess, things. Appreciate any information / thoughts / ideas you can offer!

1. I have heard that there is a "swim-against-the-current" / lap pool on the Golden Princess - and I've also heard that the machine that makes this work isn't working on many of the Princess ships. Can anyone elaborate and/or confirm? Is there a charge to use this pool?
  2. Does anyone know where (which dining room) they seat "Club Class" meals? We are treating ourselves to a club class mini-suite for our 30th Anniversary, and I haven't been able to figure out which dining room they usually use for this.
  3. Are you allowed to use steam rooms / saunas without charge or spa appointments?
  4. Our booking includes a complimentary specialty dinner (either Sabatini's or Crown Grill). Anyone know whether you get to choose? And if you don't like the night they assign can you change it?

That's it for now, thanks!!!

Does anyone know where (which dining room) they seat "Club Class" meals? We are treating ourselves to a club class mini-suite for our 30th Anniversary, and I haven't been able to figure out which dining room they usually use for this.

In February/March on the Golden, the Club Class dining was in the Donatello Dining Room, on the starboard side.

Our booking includes a complimentary specialty dinner (either Sabatini's or Crown Grill). Anyone know whether you get to choose? And if you don't like the night they assign can you change it

Yes, you should be able to choose restaurant, date and time. If you need to change, it shouldn't be a problem.

Leigh

The Lap Pool is outside of the Spa area, is adults only, and there is no charge. I haven’t been on the Golden for six years. There a current thread from the Golden and you might post your question there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2638694

The saunas and steam rooms on the Golden (and Grand) are outside just forward of the Lap Pool, not in the Spa area. There are separate rooms for men and women and there is no charge or appointments. On the Star and later Grand class ships the saunas and steam rooms are in the changing area for the Spa but there is still no charge or appointments on those ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will likely have your complimentary dinner "appointment" noted in your cabin when you board, but you are free to change it. Call the DINE line or walk over to the restaurant.

The Club Class dining entrance is starboard side, fiesta deck.

Your other questions have been answered.....

I've been on the very similar Star Princess and I never remember a swim against the current lap pool. I have been to Alaska and the weather on the ship feels like 50 degrees in July. So it won't be warm enough to swim in. If you love pastries and sweets, definitely go to the international cafe in the piazza. Choose Sabatini's if you like traditional Italian fare. If you like lobster and premium steaks, then I'd go with the Crown Grill.

I've been on the very similar Star Princess and I never remember a swim against the current lap pool. I have been to Alaska and the weather on the ship feels like 50 degrees in July. So it won't be warm enough to swim in. If you love pastries and sweets, definitely go to the international cafe in the piazza. Choose Sabatini's if you like traditional Italian fare. If you like lobster and premium steaks, then I'd go with the Crown Grill.
On the first six Grand class ships (Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, and Caribbean) the pool by the Spa is called the Lap Pool. Presumably most of these pools had the swim against the current equipment originally installed but there was a change in the layout of the Spa and the Lap Pool starting with the Star and it is possible that the swim against the current equipment was only installed on the Grand and the Golden. The current was just enough for a gentle pace. On the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby the pool was renamed the Lotus Spa Pool and probably the swim against the current equipment was not installed. Our only cruise on the Star was in South America and I didn't use the Lap Pool on that cruise or on our three cruises on the Sapphire so I can't confirm if the equipment was installed on those ships. Edited by IECalCruiser

I thought the Star had the swim against the current machine 2 years ago, but if they did, it was removed. My husband used that pool last week. In cold weather with rain and wind. He said it was quite warm in the pool.

Does anyone know where (which dining room) they seat "Club Class" meals? We are treating ourselves to a club class mini-suite for our 30th Anniversary, and I haven't been able to figure out which dining room they usually use for this.

In February/March on the Golden, the Club Class dining was in the Donatello Dining Room, on the starboard side.

Our booking includes a complimentary specialty dinner (either Sabatini's or Crown Grill). Anyone know whether you get to choose? And if you don't like the night they assign can you change it

Yes, you should be able to choose restaurant, date and time. If you need to change, it shouldn't be a problem.

Leigh

thanks Leigh!!

Thanks everybody - I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope that the lap pool has the swim-against-the-current equipment working.

We are getting excited about our first Alaska cruise, and about trying out Princess. Appreciate the hints & ideas above - if anyone else has any favorite tips I'm all ears!

The Lap Pool is outside of the Spa area, is adults only, and there is no charge. I haven’t been on the Golden for six years. There a current thread from the Golden and you might post your question there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2638694

The saunas and steam rooms on the Golden (and Grand) are outside just forward of the Lap Pool, not in the Spa area. There are separate rooms for men and women and there is no charge or appointments. On the Star and later Grand class ships the saunas and steam rooms are in the changing area for the Spa but there is still no charge or appointments on those ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, I'll give that thread a try.

We are getting excited about our first Alaska cruise, and about trying out Princess. Appreciate the hints & ideas above - if anyone else has any favorite tips I'm all ears!

Skywalkers is super quiet during the day and has great views. The only way to get there is by the back stairway or elevators. There is a sign by the elevators that tell you which two elevators go to Deck 17.