Royal Caribbean's new drone policy for all ships

I'd lay odds that someone that thinks they are an 'expert', is going to fly one over the pool area, lose control, and injure someone.

I guess you're not familiar with how modern drones fly. You cannot lose control. Even cheap drones automatically return to home when signal is lost or battery runs low. They are gyro- and GPS-stabilized.

I guess you're not familiar with how modern drones fly. You cannot lose control. Even cheap drones automatically return to home when signal is lost or battery runs low. They are gyro- and GPS-stabilized.

LOL

I'm familiar with technology. So it's not possible that a gust of wind at sea won't affect a drone? Is it not possible to steer a drone incorrectly into a wall? How does a drone use GPS to return home on a moving ship?

I love how people have absolute faith in technology.

LOL

I'm familiar with technology. So it's not possible that a gust of wind at sea won't affect a drone? Is it not possible to steer a drone incorrectly into a wall? How does a drone use GPS to return home on a moving ship?

I love how people have absolute faith in technology.

Of course you can steer a drone into a wall, that is not "losing control." However many modern drones have obstacle avoidance and would not be able to be steerable into a wall.

Gusts of wind do not affect drones due to the GPS stabilization, up to the capacity of the drone to compensate, which for mine is about 30 mph. It's quite remarkable how stable it is even high up where winds gusts can be fierce. That's why drone footage is so smooth, if they were affected by wind gusts it'd look a lot different.

No one is talking about using a drone on a moving ship as this is not practical. Since drones are stabilized by GPS, one would have to constantly move forward to keep up with ship. The neutral position would result in a drone stationary to GPS satellites and thus ship would move out from under.

In your hypothetical, a drone that lost signal or battery would go to the start point, which would be miles awy from current position of ship. Lost drone but not harm to people.

But really I did not think you were imaging someone using a drain from a moving ship, I've never heard of this. Only drones from shore buzzing a ship.

Of course you can steer a drone into a wall, that is not "losing control." However many modern drones have obstacle avoidance and would not be able to be steerable into a wall.

Gusts of wind do not affect drones due to the GPS stabilization, up to the capacity of the drone to compensate, which for mine is about 30 mph. It's quite remarkable how stable it is even high up where winds gusts can be fierce. That's why drone footage is so smooth, if they were affected by wind gusts it'd look a lot different.

No one is talking about using a drone on a moving ship as this is not practical. Since drones are stabilized by GPS, one would have to constantly move forward to keep up with ship. The neutral position would result in a drone stationary to GPS satellites and thus ship would move out from under.

In your hypothetical, a drone that lost signal or battery would go to the start point, which would be miles awy from current position of ship. Lost drone but not harm to people.

But really I did not think you were imaging someone using a drain from a moving ship, I've never heard of this. Only drones from shore buzzing a ship.

At 20 knots you would have to do a lot more than move forward to keep up with the ship. :evilsmile:

JC

At 20 knots you would have to do a lot more than move forward to keep up with the ship. :evilsmile:

JC

No doubt. That’s why I don’t think anyone is really talking about flying one off a moving ship.

The restrictions:

• You can't fly the drone on the ship at any time
  • You can't fly the drone near the ship at any port of call
  • Know the drone laws for the cities/countries you want to fly it in

I wonder how "near the ship" is defined.

No doubt. That’s why I don’t think anyone is really talking about flying one off a moving ship.

I am. Because there are a lot of stupid people in this world.

No reasonable person would fly a drone on a moving ship.

Combine an unlimited Deluxe Drink Package with a drone?

You keep saying things shouldn't happen. But things that shouldn't happen occur every day.

You keep saying things shouldn't happen. But things that shouldn't happen occur every day.

Ok fair point, especially if it was spring break cruise.

If that happened the drone would probably be lost quickly, especially with a drunk pilot!

I wonder if there are any laws around piloting a drone when intoxicated. Hmmm....

...However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti...

That is awesome to know. Some dweeb was flying a drone over the water while we were swimming in the suite's barefoot beach area. I gave him a few words but nice to know it's policy for next time. Drones are really neat but certain drone owners can be totally apathetic to others.

All pointless because drones can not be flown while ON a ship or even near a ship. If someone did attempt to fly from a moving ship, it would be confiscated or lost and both of those resolutions would be complete "cures" with removal of drone from equation

All pointless because drones can not be flown while ON a ship or even near a ship. If someone did attempt to fly from a moving ship, it would be confiscated or lost and both of those resolutions would be complete "cures" with removal of drone from equation

Because everyone always follows rules and laws. LOL

Actually ports are secure areas and I doubt you could fly the drone over the port area. And if someone did fly a drone over a secure area I hope the security people shoot it down or find the operator and jail them! Drones in many cases are invasive and intrusive - why fly 20 feet over some people tanning in their backyard? That is just for the operators prurient pleasure. I personally have been buzzed by a drone once - it was horrible. All I was doing was walking to my car after an event. If I had been able to find the drone operator, they would have gotten an earful, but I doubt it would have stopped them from doing it again.

Actually ports are secure areas and I doubt you could fly the drone over the port area. And if someone did fly a drone over a secure area I hope the security people shoot it down or find the operator and jail them! Drones in many cases are invasive and intrusive - why fly 20 feet over some people tanning in their backyard? That is just for the operators prurient pleasure. I personally have been buzzed by a drone once - it was horrible. All I was doing was walking to my car after an event. If I had been able to find the drone operator, they would have gotten an earful, but I doubt it would have stopped them from doing it again.

Absolutely agree.

A real drone pilot will be licensed from the FCC and know all the rules. Anyone else shouldn't be operating one.

Absolutely agree.

A real drone pilot will be licensed from the FCC and know all the rules. Anyone else shouldn't be operating one.

The FCC does not license drone pilots.

Even the FAA does not require a license for recreational drone use.