Local wildlife

you probably will want to avoid coming to Los Angeles. The black widow spiders here actually run toward you. Right now I have several bites on one of my feet and lower legs.

We also have coyotes that roam the area I live in (people are advised to keep small pets and toddlers under watch if outside) -- not kidding. We also have bear sightings from time to time. And in the last couple of weeks, we have seen possum in our backyard.

The lizards, on the other hand, are numerous, but run away from humans...they are very harmless.

Definitely do not go to Australia. Check out this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I.

We did an outback tour of Australia and when I went to one of the pit toilets at a campsite, there was a redback spider on the toilet seat.

DON

Common as mud, a red back on the toilet seat, especially back when most had an outside dunny.

Back to the Caribbean, even though we love Australia:

We were eaten alive by no-see-ums (sand flies) at an Animal Sanctuary in Belize. Strangely, we've never been bothered by mosquitos, even on our Amazon River cruise.

A swarm of black beetles entered our open balcony door after dark at Cabo San Lucas (I know ... not the Caribbean). We had the lights on in the cabin. We managed to kill them all but not until one bit my husband on his bare butt when he sat on it.

On the ship you are very, very unlikely to encounter any wildlife. If you are really concerned, you could always stay on the ship and enjoy the pool and other amenities rather than going to a beach on shore.

Actually. I was thinking just the opposite. The ship might be the main place to encounter Wild Life, although of the drunken human variety, rather than the annoying no see ums at a beach.

:p:cool:We managed 8 weeks in Australia and survived to tell about it!

We were told not to venture onto a beach in Cairns because of the "salties" that hang out there - and then we were told even if the crocs weren't around, it was the box jellyfish season and they were about as deadly as the saltwater crocs.

Oh yes, and we must stay on the path by all means so we didn't disrupt any deadly poisonous snakes in the grass. YIKES!

We were told not to venture onto a beach in Cairns because of the "salties" that hang out there - and then we were told even if the crocs weren't around, it was the box jellyfish season and they were about as deadly as the saltwater crocs.

Oh yes, and we must stay on the path by all means so we didn't disrupt any deadly poisonous snakes in the grass. YIKES!

Yep, that is why most places up that way have pools because the ocean is too dangerous - Crocs, Sharks Irukandji jellyfish and box jellyfish.

I'm not letting DH read this thread - my traveling days would be over!

I wish I hadn't read it! I certainly didn't open any of the links! I am petrified of spiders. Don't even want to look at them. At least now I know I definitely don't want to go to Australia! LOL! That being said, it will not stop me from cruising. We have not, as of yet at least, run into any critters that bothered us. I hope it stays that way!

I wish I hadn't read it! I certainly didn't open any of the links! I am petrified of spiders. Don't even want to look at them. At least now I know I definitely don't want to go to Australia! LOL! That being said, it will not stop me from cruising. We have not, as of yet at least, run into any critters that bothered us. I hope it stays that way!

Lived in Australia all my life, nothing has killed me so far.

Lived in Australia all my life, nothing has killed me so far.

I would go so far as to say that the majority of the almost 25 million people in Australia are managing to avoid being killed by any wildlife either in the water or out of it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/horse-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-bees-wasps-snakes-spiders/8188842