Boxed Wine

excited balcony

Barbera d'Asti is not from Sicily. Rather, it's from the north of Italy.

Barolo isn't a winery. It's a type of red wine made from Nebbiolo grapes.

Likewise, Côtes de Provence is not a winery either. It is a wine region. So, there are a wide variety of producers and, of course, some are far better than others when it comes to making wine.

So I had to go look at the wine bottle. It’s Nero D’ Avala from Sicily that he likes

Barolo IS a winery in the Langhe region of Piedmont. I have been there as I lived not to far from that area for several months so that I know for a fact.

As far as the rose’, the “Cotes De Provence is the name on the bottle of Wine he likes. Like I said, I’m not a wine drinker and don’t know much about wine but I do know Barolo is a winery.

So I had to go look at the wine bottle. It’s Nero D’ Avala from Sicily that he likes

Barolo IS a winery in the Langhe region of Piedmont. I have been there as I lived not to far from that area for several months so that I know for a fact.

As far as the rose’, the “Cotes De Provence is the name on the bottle of Wine he likes. Like I said, I’m not a wine drinker and don’t know much about wine but I do know Barolo is a winery.

My mother also enjoyed wine from the Langhe region. She visited the area several times. I think the winery you are referring to is: Strada del Barolo e Grandi Vini di Langa

My mother also enjoyed wine from the Langhe region. She visited the area several times. I think the winery you are referring to is: Strada del Barolo e Grandi Vini di Langa[/quote

Could be. Such a beautiful area.

While I think it's great that you double-checked (one can never know too much about wine), you still have a couple of flubs:

#1. It's Nero D'Avola (only two "A"s).

#2. Barolo is NOT the name of a producer:

- Barolo and Barbaresco are both regions; the wines of the same name come from the respective region.

- For the most part, Piedmont wines are labeled by grape variety (think Barbera, Dolcetto), but Barolo and Barbaresco merit names by region.

- Nebbiolo is the grape of Barolo and Barbaresco. DOCG requirements dictate that to be labeled Barolo or Barbaresco, the wine must be 100 percent Nebbiolo.

That said, there is a Barolo producer named Bartolo (T not L). Perhaps that is what you remember: http://www.decanter.com/wine/producer-profiles/producer-profile-bartolo-mascarello-331431/

In any case, if hubby likes Nero D'Avola, check out https://www.google.com/amp/s/winefolly.com/review/guide-to-nero-davola-wine/

Flatbush Flyer is mostly correct. Barolo wines comes from a very specific designed growing area outside of the Piedmont town of Alba. Barolo is also a town, which produces Barolo wine, that is within that region. There are, I believe 11 villages within the Barolo production zone.

When ever you see a “d” in a designation it means it from that town or accompaning area. So d’Asti or d’Alba means that wine is from either the town of Asti or Alba.

Flatbush Flyer is mostly correct. Barolo wines comes from a very specific designed growing area outside of the Piedmont town of Alba. Barolo is also a town, which produces Barolo wine, that is within that region. There are, I believe 11 villages within the Barolo production zone.

When ever you see a “d” in a designation it means it from that town or accompaning area. So d’Asti or d’Alba means that wine is from either the town of Asti or Alba.

I'm still betting that, like with the "A" vs "O" mistake in D'Avola, OP is thinking of Bartolo ("T" -the producer) vs Barolo (no "T" -the region [or town?]).

I'm still betting that, like with the "A" vs "O" mistake in D'Avola, OP is thinking of Bartolo ("T" -the producer) vs Barolo (no "T" -the region [or town?]).

Yes Bartolo. Obviously I know nothing about wine so I should just forget all of this wine talk and go drink my beer. :)

• Haha 1

if you are not an oenophile ..who really cares

I just drink what tastes good to me & I am sure many others do the same

YMMV

Really has little to do with being an oenophile. Rather, understanding a little bit about what a label says can tell you a lot about what you are about to drink.

When a non-oenophile happens upon a wine they like, it would be great if they could find the same wine or, at least, something suggesting a similarity the next time they're in the market for another bottle.

I just asked my husband. It’s Barolo wine from Barolo. Not Bartolo.

I just asked my husband. It’s Barolo wine from Barolo. Not Bartolo.

I think we all understand that Barolo wine (a style using 100% Nebbiolo grapes) comes "from Barolo" (the region). The question remains "who" made it.

Any chance that you could post a picture of the label?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I think we all understand that Barolo wine (a style using 100% Nebbiolo grapes) comes "from Barolo" (the region). The question remains "who" made it.

Any chance that you could post a picture of the label?

I have pictures of when we were there but none are clear of the label. Just the refrigerator magnets at the winery. Lol. We currently don’t have any here at home If he gets another bottle I’ll post a picture for you.

I have pictures of when we were there but none are clear of the label. Just the refrigerator magnets at the winery. Lol. We currently don’t have any here at home If he gets another bottle I’ll post a picture for you.

Thanks - you have piqued my curiosity.

Flatbush;

Never seen a Barolo listing Barolo as the region. It could list Barolo, LaMara, Monteforte, Serragunda, etc. as the village within the Barolo region as its origins.

So a Barolo from Barolo means it’s from the village of Barolo. I believe the Stada de Barolo she lists is the main road between Alba and the village of Barolo.

I’m sorry if I confused anyone. I should never have commented on anything but the boxed wine as I obviously don’t know what I’m talking about. I thought I did but I’m wrong. Now, back to that boxed wine....

• Like 1

Flatbush;

Never seen a Barolo listing Barolo as the region. It could list Barolo, LaMara, Monteforte, Serragunda, etc. as the village within the Barolo region as its origins.

So a Barolo from Barolo means it’s from the village of Barolo. I believe the Stada de Barolo she lists is the main road between Alba and the village of Barolo.

I don't disagree (having taken some liberty with the term "region" vs "town"). I just wanted OP to understand that I am unaware of any winery business or owner named Barolo.

I think some people have a problem with reading & comprehension :rolleyes:

I said to take wine onboard the ship I thought it had to be in your carry on unless you had a case then you could send it with the checked bags at the dock

What the porters will accept may vary by embarkation port. We have left wine at the dock with checked bags in a whole-case box, in a half-case box, in a wine suitcase (12 bottles) and iirc a few bottles in an otherwise-regular-stuff packed suitcase after a pre-cruise land trip in Spain. Not all on the same trip lol!

As for wine labels and winery names, the more specifically you can remember a bottle you loved (or hated), the easier it is for the wine store or somm to guide you to (or warn you away from) a similar wine. But you don't have to memorize everything on the label (I certainly don't!) -- it is at least as helpful to be able to describe what you like :)

What the porters will accept may vary by embarkation port. We have left wine at the dock with checked bags in a whole-case box, in a half-case box, in a wine suitcase (12 bottles) and iirc a few bottles in an otherwise-regular-stuff packed suitcase after a pre-cruise land trip in Spain.

I GIVE UP

:rolleyes: