No plans to return to Europe?

tidecat

Another rumour we heard while on the Horizon is that the Panorama has to put the lifeboats on deck to sail through the Panama Canal. Too wide otherwise.

Not for the new locks. Neo-Panamax maximum beam is 55 m or 180 ft, while Panorama is only 37 m (122 ft) at the waterline, and 48 m (158 ft) at the pool deck (maximum beam). Even with a 4 m wide lifeboat hanging over each side, she is still inside the maximum. And other cruise ships have shown that permanently "outrigger" type lifeboat davits are not a concern for the canal, as they are still above the lock walls when the lock is lowered.

By crossing the Atlantic they could stop in Miami (and/or New York) for a dog and pony show, and the Bahamas if a shipyard experienced with Carnival was needed. Perhaps pick up US travel agents and/or Carnival employees along the way and still have a non-rev cruise.

Similar to what Norwegian did with their new ship, Norwegian Bliss a few months ago. Transatlantic to New York, a day for travel agents to see the ship. then sail empty again to Miami for another travel agent showing then finally sailing thru the panama canal to reach the ship homeport

Why Carnival is not particularly interested in Europe is because Americans proved to be too fickle. A little terrorism here and there (not like it doesn't happen in the US), and Americans cancelled Med cruises right and left. VAT was only a small factor. Because of that, Carnival was left desperately seeking cruisers. Luckily a number of cruisers from the UK picked up some of the slack and the season was not a total disaster. Carnival didn't want a repeat, so Horizon was brought over after just a few cruises.

The long shore excursions in Europe are more expensive, so more profitable for cruise lines, and being land based, already have VAT built-in.

I am not convinced that it is a law that Carnival cannot stop people from bringing alcohol onto the ship in Europe. I would like to see a link to a credible source on that. In years gone by they would occasionally set up a table and yes, confiscate and hold alcohol being brought back on the ship. I don't recall which Med port it was.

There are non-EU ports Carnival could utilize, if desired. Montenegro is one. And, of course, there is much speculation on the future of the EU. A breakup of the EU could lead to all kinds of nastiness.

Norwegian, Royal, Celebrity Disney, and Carnivals other brands have done fine.

Norwegian, Royal, Celebrity Disney, and Carnivals other brands have done fine.

Yes, Carnival’s other brands have done fine. So should Carnival (Corporation) compete with itself, when the product Carnival Cruise Line offers is ill-suited for the European market?

Disney isn’t really a valid comparison since they have so few ships, and only an intermittent presence in Europe. It also helps that their target audience likely will be familiar with the Disney experience from the theme parks.

RCCL has to make RCI work in Europe because they don’t have a true equivalent of P&O, AIDA, or Costa. RCCL only owns 50% of TUI and then 49% of Pullmantur (CDF folded in 2017).

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

As a European I'm very disappointed but not surprised by this news. Our first cruise was on Carnival Legend in The Med in 2013 and we were hooked. We've since sailed on Vista and Horizon, we absolutely love Carnival.

We've sailed other cruise lines, including some owned by the Carnival corporation, but they are just not as good. Must be our tastes are more American than European.

They are a number of low cost carriers that make it more than affordable to fly to Europe

Is that really the case for most Americans though?

Just for kicks I decided to price flights to Barcelona from a few airports. These were the cheapest available:

ATL (Atlanta) - $910 (Turkish)

BWI (Baltimore) - $1041 (British Airways)

BOS (Boston) - $627 (Aer Lingus)

ORD (Chicago O’Hare) - $855 (Aer Lingus)

DEN (Denver) - $1,242 (United)

FLL (Fort Lauderdale) - $663 (Norwegian)

IAH (Houston) - $844 (Turkish)

IND (Indianapolis) - $1,281 (Air Canada)

LAX (Los Angeles) - $727 (American)

SDF (Louisville) - $1,360 (United)

MEM (Memphis) - $1,412 (United)

MCO (Orlando) - $1,128 (Jet Blue)

PHL (Philadelphia) - $778 (Aer Lingus)

SEA (Seattle) - $965 (Aer Lingus)

IAD (Washington Dulles) - $880 (Turkish)

My cheapest option would actually be to book a cheap Southwest flight to MDW (around $100 each way), pick up my bags, and then take a taxi across town to ORD - that’s still nearly $1,100/person round trip just for airfare.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

For low cost air look into Norwegian Air

I am disappointed loved our cruises on the Breeze and the Vista and would love another Carnival cruise in the Med. We have done Princess in the Med but liked Carnival more.

I read a number of horror stories about Norwegian Air by Horizon cruisers. Flights canceled, equipment changes resulting in fewer seats on planes (=no seat), outright lying to customers... If using them I would fly in 2-3 days early to try to make sure I got there.

And in all reality I think NCL has better/more diverse itins as well as being very cost effective. Same goes for MSC, although with a more euro vibe

MSC in America cheap, but if I remember correctly, NCL was a cheaper price in Med.. :confused:

I read a number of horror stories about Norwegian Air by Horizon cruisers. Flights canceled, equipment changes resulting in fewer seats on planes (=no seat), outright lying to customers... If using them I would fly in 2-3 days early to try to make sure I got there.

We flew home using Norwegian Air following the transatlantic crossing. The flight was great, went on time, very comfortable seats, decent meal on board and at a very cheap fare. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.