Best spot for sailaway on Horizon out of New York?

djny1077

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best spot for sailaway on the Horizon out of New York?

I'll be traveling with my 4 yr old and my parents, who have some mobility issues - my dad can't walk too far too fast. We have an aft-veiw balcony. I was thinking about enjoying sailaway there, as we'll get views of both the city and the Statue, but will need a better spot when we go under the bridge. If I wasn't worried about my parents walking so much, we could move to a better spot for the bridge, but I don't want to push them on their first day.

I was thinking maybe one of the forward decks? We'd be able to move from one side to the other, and might be a cool spot for under the bridge. However, there's no cooler photo than the wake of the ship with the city and statue behind you! We'd miss that being forward.

So, then I thought maybe the aft pool. Again, we'd be able to move from one side to the other, and I guess we could move up a deck or 2 for when we go under the bridge. But I'd be worried about it being crowded and I hate having to fight people to get a good photo. So I'm really torn! (And yes, I'm an over thinker! haha)

I've sailed out of NY a few times, but this is their first cruise and I really want them to enjoy sailaway and get the whole view. We're from New York, so it's nothing they've never seen before, but it's such a different experience from the water!

The biggest thrill anyone can have during sailaway on the Horizon is being on Deck 15 when the ship sails under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. It takes just about an hour to reach the bridge once the ship starts to back out of its berth. We headed up to Deck 15 about 45 minutes after setting sail. It was amazing to be on such a tall ship-we felt we were closer to the underside of the bridge than usual. There was quite a crowd sharing the experience-everyone starting shouting and clapping as we passed under the bridge. We have sailed from NYC many times, and this was our most fun ever. If you have your parents head up to Serenity as the ship sets sail, they can sit on the right side of the ship so they can see the Statue of Liberty, and stay there until the ship passes under the bridge. Your 4 year old won't be able to be in Serenity, but at least your parents can enjoy. You will love the Horizon!

Dear djny1077<

The best spot for the sailaway location may be right where you paid and booked in.

Looking over at Jersey City and Bayonne, New Jersey as where the Statue of Liberty is located in Hudson County with fair waether those Kodak Moments too are a wonderful memory for your child.

Going under the NYC, NY Borough to Borough misspelled bridge as well provides a great opportunity to kiss your child and parents wishing all the best to come Maam.

Being with your loved-ones is really ythe best sailaway and having those Kodak moments ensures many to follow..

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best spot for sailaway on the Horizon out of New York?

I'll be traveling with my 4 yr old and my parents, who have some mobility issues - my dad can't walk too far too fast. We have an aft-veiw balcony. I was thinking about enjoying sailaway there, as we'll get views of both the city and the Statue, but will need a better spot when we go under the bridge. If I wasn't worried about my parents walking so much, we could move to a better spot for the bridge, but I don't want to push them on their first day.

I was thinking maybe one of the forward decks? We'd be able to move from one side to the other, and might be a cool spot for under the bridge. However, there's no cooler photo than the wake of the ship with the city and statue behind you! We'd miss that being forward.

So, then I thought maybe the aft pool. Again, we'd be able to move from one side to the other, and I guess we could move up a deck or 2 for when we go under the bridge. But I'd be worried about it being crowded and I hate having to fight people to get a good photo. So I'm really torn! (And yes, I'm an over thinker! haha)

I've sailed out of NY a few times, but this is their first cruise and I really want them to enjoy sailaway and get the whole view. We're from New York, so it's nothing they've never seen before, but it's such a different experience from the water!

Something to remember about taking photos of the Statue of Liberty- wait until you pass the Statue so you can get her face in your photo. So many start on the approach starboard side and only get the back of her head.

She faces the harbor mouth, so you need to be downriver to get her face and the full torch in your shot.

For Manhattan, face the port side and marvel as you glide by the skyscrapers. It's a wonderful sight when the setting sun glows golden reflections off the tops of the buildings. I'll remember passing the Freedom Towers and Ground Zero Memorial Day on the Horizon, very moving.

IMO, NYC has the best sailaway of all the ports I've been lucky enough to cruise from.

One word of caution about the NY sailaway: If you've booked early dining there's a good chance you won't reach the bridge before dinner. Last week it was past 6 when we reached the bridge - we barely reached the Statue before dinner. We knew that going in and tried to book the steakhouse for the first night (a month in advance!), but the only times available were 5:30 (too early) and 9:30 (too late).

One word of caution about the NY sailaway: If you've booked early dining there's a good chance you won't reach the bridge before dinner. Last week it was past 6 when we reached the bridge - we barely reached the Statue before dinner. We knew that going in and tried to book the steakhouse for the first night (a month in advance!), but the only times available were 5:30 (too early) and 9:30 (too late).

the last time we sailed out of NY we would have missed to much having dinner in the DR so we ate up on lido something we almost never do

The biggest thrill anyone can have during sailaway on the Horizon is being on Deck 15 when the ship sails under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. It takes just about an hour to reach the bridge once the ship starts to back out of its berth. We headed up to Deck 15 about 45 minutes after setting sail. It was amazing to be on such a tall ship-we felt we were closer to the underside of the bridge than usual. There was quite a crowd sharing the experience-everyone starting shouting and clapping as we passed under the bridge. We have sailed from NYC many times, and this was our most fun ever. If you have your parents head up to Serenity as the ship sets sail, they can sit on the right side of the ship so they can see the Statue of Liberty, and stay there until the ship passes under the bridge. Your 4 year old won't be able to be in Serenity, but at least your parents can enjoy. You will love the Horizon!

Think there's a chance they'd let my son up there just for the bridge? I'm sure they want to experience it with him. I expect he'll be pretty awe'd by the whole experience lol

There is a short YouTube video about the secret deck on 14 forward outside of the spa. Check it out. Sorry I don't have the link, it's on my PC and I am on my cell now.

Yes! I saw this! That's where I got the idea of one of the forward decks! Thank you!!

Going under the NYC, NY Borough to Borough misspelled bridge as well provides a great opportunity to kiss your child and parents wishing all the best to come Maam.

Haha!! Misspelled bridge! Hilarious :D clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Thank you all for the help!! We actually have YTD, which I thought would be easiest with my son, so we won't have to worry about missing anything. I wouldn't let that happen anyway!

I'm still really undecided, but right now leaning towards one of the forward decks. I'm sure I'll change my mind 10 times before then hahaha