Bed Bugs on Dawn?!?

phoenix1181

Maybe it WAS sea lice. Usually bed bug bites appear on exposed areas while sleeping - wrists, ankles. Not the chest as someone reported where the bites/rash appeared. And with a slew of new passengers off the Dawn yesterday, there haven't been new reports here.

I watched the video, and the bites and welts they showed in the video do not look like bed bug bites, and it seems weird that those huge rashes only showed up after they went in the water. Bed bug bites are typically multiple in a straight line, so they are pretty easy to recognize. And like you said in hands and ankles, etc. I don't know just seems like their story doesn't completely add up

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten bitten by sea lice before. They seem to bite by the openings of bathing suits. (arm holes, leg openings, etc. It's like they get trapped in those spots. They sell products that are sea lice repellents.

I sailed right after those people got off and our group was never informed. Lucky we were on level 11 BUT still....

of course you were not informed: 1-the family didn't even do anything about the possibility of bed bugs until they got home:2- it was just suspected but not confirmed and 3-it isn't like noro virus or something. The cruise line isn't going to tell every passenger, when you get on the ship chick for bed bugs. Some of the cabins might have them!!! :rolleyes:

8102 was the cabin. Ughhhh

quote=donsuej;56493686]Saw that report too. Freaks me out. I can't remember the cabin either but it was Deck 8. They did notice blood spots on the sheets every day and have welts all over their legs that a dr. confirmed as bed bug bites. Yuck. Could have been brought on by the people that vacated that cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sailed on Norwegian Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda July 27th.

Got bit by something, most likely bed bugs two days after sailing, then again next day, we say tiny red spots on the sheets......reported incident to Guest services, they asked if I went to the hospital on the ship., I did not, because it is a Housekeeping problem. They made a report, changed the sheets, and the next day, hubby got bit. So we have written to NCL and provided pictures of the bites. I believe that there was an incident on cabin 8106 on July 8th and they are investigating it. So another wait and see.....

Got bit by something, most likely bed bugs two days after sailing, then again next day, we say tiny red spots on the sheets......reported incident to Guest services, they asked if I went to the hospital on the ship., I did not, because it is a Housekeeping problem. They made a report, changed the sheets, and the next day, hubby got bit. So we have written to NCL and provided pictures of the bites. I believe that there was an incident on cabin 8106 on July 8th and they are investigating it. So another wait and see.....

What cabin were you in? Did they change the mattress? you've been home almost 2 weeks. What took you so long to come here and report it?

What do you mean when you say a housekeeping problem? doesn't make any difference, sending pics will probably get you nowhere, you needed to go to the medical center so they could see if that was what caused the bites. There are so many things that could have done the biting. Only a doctor, seeing it at the time can determine what the bites are. I also have to wonder, on a 7 day cruise, if it was bed bugs why you were not bitten everyday, not just a couple of times? Anyway keep us posted. BTW changing the sheets will not get rid of the bed bugs. Changing the mattress will and it has nothing to do with cleanliness believe it or not.

I'm calling BS on susieq492's post!

Guest services would have sent her & her husband to the medical center, not just asked if they went. The cruise line can't ignore a report like that. Bed bugs on a cruise ship have to be dealt with quickly. Also, she says she was bitten one day & her husband the next. Where were those little suckers the rest of the week? Visiting someone across the hall?

Guest services would have sent her & her husband to the medical center, not just asked if they went. The cruise line can't ignore a report like that. Bed bugs on a cruise ship have to be dealt with quickly. Also, she says she was bitten one day & her husband the next. Where were those little suckers the rest of the week? Visiting someone across the hall?

I think I agree with you. Looked at susieq's last several years of posts and this is the only post on NCL's forum. All other posts for years are about other cruise-lines, not NCL. Looks doubtful she was on the Dawn.

I think I agree with you. Looked at susieq's last several years of posts and this is the only post on NCL's forum. All other posts for years are about other cruise-lines, not NCL. Looks doubtful she was on the Dawn.

More specifically, all the past posts are to Roll Calls. Why would user who frequently posted to past Celebrity roll calls not post in their NCL Dawn roll call?

First of all I was definitely on NCL Dawn. Boston to Bermuda., always sailed with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

Second never posted before about NCL., as this was my very first time sailing with Norwegian.

Third did not post this for sympathy, some of you have put sarcastic remarks, no need, just posted this to make sure anyone sailing on the Dawn are aware of this., nothing more and nothing less.

yep: holes, holes, holes in the story. Now, as for the original poster claiming there were bed bugs, even it is doubtful but possible. I do believe they honestly thought their bites were from bed bugs. And yes, anyplace, ship, hotel, whatever that has a report of possible beg bugs will investigate until a decision is reached.

First of all I was definitely on NCL Dawn. Boston to Bermuda., always sailed with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

Second never posted before about NCL., as this was my very first time sailing with Norwegian.

Third did not post this for sympathy, some of you have put sarcastic remarks, no need, just posted this to make sure anyone sailing on the Dawn are aware of this., nothing more and nothing less.

whether true or not, you have to admit, if you re-read your comments there are some holes that would make people wonder and you have absolutely no way of knowing if the bites were bed bugs or not. The only one that would know this would be a doctor and only if they saw the bites, in person as soon as they happened. I have to say, why did you not visit the health center if your story was 100% as you wrote it? I am not doubting you got bit by something, but am doubting you know for a fact it was bed bugs. As mentioned, what about the rest of the nights, did they visit some other cabin? BTW, you never answered my question about what the bed bugs had to do with housekeeping which was a comment you made? You obviously do not know much about those awful little creatures.

Thank you for coming back here despite the accusations and suspicion. Would you mind answering some of the other questions people have posted? What leads you to believe the bites were from bed bugs? Why did you not visit the medical center?

Glad you returned but you haven't answered any of our questions or said anything that would entice me to apologize for my remarks.

What date did you cruise?

What cabin number?

Why didn't you go to the medical center?

Please explain your statement that bed bugs are a housekeeping problem.

Was the mattress changed?

You were bitten 2 days, husband was bitten 1 day. Where do you think the bed bugs were the other 4 nights?

Would you be kind enough to post the photos and letter you sent to NCL?

Thank you...............d

Reply back, date of cruise July 27th

Cabin 4507

We were not asked to go to the Medical Center

Housekeeping. Because they are responsible for keeping the cabin clean., it was not our request it was the request of Guest services to send Housekeeping to the Cabin. We know they vacuumed and changed the sheets, did not say if the mattress was changed.

After the room was cleaned we were not aware of any more bites.

The photo’s were sent to NCL.

And it is up to NCL to investigate, end of matter.

According to what was reported, the cruisers did not seek medical attention until they were home at which time their doctor said the bites were from bedbugs.

There was no indication they reported the problem to the cabin steward.

They probably had the Unlimited Beverage Package... that in turn resulted in the Unreported Bedbug Problem:D

Reply back, date of cruise July 27th

Cabin 4507

We were not asked to go to the Medical Center

Housekeeping. Because they are responsible for keeping the cabin clean., it was not our request it was the request of Guest services to send Housekeeping to the Cabin. We know they vacuumed and changed the sheets, did not say if the mattress was changed.

After the room was cleaned we were not aware of any more bites.

The photo’s were sent to NCL.

And it is up to NCL to investigate, end of matter.

Thank you for answering our questions. Please accept my apology for my rudeness.

If I may, I'd like to ask one more question. Did you happen to encounter anyone else on your cruise with the same problem? We're going to be on the Dawn in October and bed bugs are not something I want to be concerned with...

Going to the Medical Center would have resulted in a big bill for this passanger. I know my insurance would want that charge to go towards my huge deductible and I'd never see the money back for this cruise ship medical visit. And, If we got bedbugs here at home, I wouldn't need to go to a doctor to determine if they are bed bugs. I think a better call would be an exterminator and the ship would surely have someone onboard for that. There is no way I'd be paying for a medical visit either! I wouldn't do it at home, why on a cruise ship?

I do think you could involved the Hotel Director and housekeeping. Not the housekeeping attendant that shows up with new sheets but ask to speak with their boss about bedbugs and whoever is in charge of insect extermination on the ship. Its a better place to determine bedbugs than forcing the passenger to pay for a medical visit.