Walk on with ALL your luggage?!?

Yinz

I was scrolling through threads when I read that someone was asking where they store your luggage on the first day when you carry everything on, not just your day bag. I have been on many cruises and I have NEVER heard of this. The person commented like they had done it before multiple times, maybe on a cruise line I have not been on. Anyone ever do this? And honestly I'm not even sure I'd want to do this. Sounds like you'd still have to check it somewhere and then go and retrieve it once your room is ready. I just pack my carry on with everything I need for that day and evening just in case.

That thread was a specific ask and it was interesting to find out that (some?) ships have a place you can store your luggage while waiting for cabins to open up. After 4 NCL cruises I had never noticed either. Most people do check luggage and bring a carry on - but some of those carry ons are rather large lol. And the luggage stacks up in the bars and restaurants while we wait!

I have carried all my luggage on when sailing with Carnival since we had Faster To The Fun and the room is guaranteed ready when you board. It was nice unpacking everything and strolling out to lunch around 12 with everything already done. No luggage anxiety either and checking hallways for hours. I do generally check bags with the porters but it worked out nicely that time.

I have carried all my luggage on when sailing with Carnival since we had Faster To The Fun and the room is guaranteed ready when you board. It was nice unpacking everything and strolling out to lunch around 12 with everything already done. No luggage anxiety either and checking hallways for hours. I do generally check bags with the porters but it worked out nicely that time.

If would make sense in the faster to the fun to do it that way. On my next cruise in a few weeks I’m going to see if I notice anyone doing the full carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last NFL cruise we had only two carry-one each. Took them on with us and check them with entertainment staff once we boarded. Can not remember if it was in a bar or restaurant but it was just inside once entering the ship. Went and had lunch and when rooms were ready, picked up luggage then went to cabin and unpacked. This was not the first time we have seen or used this. They will tag your luggage and give you a receipt to reclaim your luggage.

Yes, we do it regularly and it is great. It especially works well when checking in around 1 or so when the rooms are ready. But we also do it when we arrive earlier and just have a seat at the buffet with our stuff. What we have found and most people don't realize is you can bring suitcases on, not just carry-ons. There are generally 2 sizes larger than carry-on size, the medium size suitcase and the large ones. We found large suitcases had to be checked with a porter because they won't fit through the scanner, but the medium size suitcases do fit. So now we always cruise with a carry-on and a medium size suitcase each and we have always been able to board with everything with us. It sure is nice to have unpacking done by 2:00 and never have to worry about when and whether everything will arrive.

We did it by accident one cruise. We kept looking for a porter when we arrived and eventually ended up in the check-in line with our luggage still in tow. We asked when we checked in and were told we could drop our luggage off with someone on the way to the ship. Nope. So, we just brought it all onboard, including one large suitcase. I don't recall any issues with it fitting through the scanner, and it is a BIG suitcase. Like someone else mentioned, we just parked it all at a table in the buffet as we ate. It was awesome to be able to unpack as soon as the cabins were open.

I was scrolling through threads when I read that someone was asking where they store your luggage on the first day when you carry everything on, not just your day bag. I have been on many cruises and I have NEVER heard of this. The person commented like they had done it before multiple times, maybe on a cruise line I have not been on. Anyone ever do this? And honestly I'm not even sure I'd want to do this. Sounds like you'd still have to check it somewhere and then go and retrieve it once your room is ready. I just pack my carry on with everything I need for that day and evening just in case.

All of your bags have to fit through the air port X-ray sized machine. On small ships, there is often a bar to leave your bags unattended while you walk around the ship. You must pick them up by the pick up time (shortly after rooms are available). On big ships, not so much.

Actually, there is an attendant.