PRINCESS: Buy Vietnam visa in advance or onboard?

mauimix

Found it on VietnamVisaEmbassy.org, but not on VietnamEmbassy-USA.Org

VietnamVisaEmbassy.org = private, for profit visa service website masquerading as an official government site.

VietnamEmbassy-USA.Org = official government site.

I can tell you that I arrived Vietnam on Ovation of the Seas on May 6th and paid $5 per person. I would recommend researching on google. Princess may not do as many voyages to Vietnam as the competition an not know the requirements. I would also recommend checking with you travel agent. Friends we traveled with also entered Vietnam in 2017 and paid $5 then too. As long as you enter the country by ship and leave by the same vessel, you qualify as a US citizen, I’m not positive of other nationalities.

6293194d-19bc-4f93-b1ae-59c322c080fd

I found this on google. This is identical to what we used for entry. This was from a celebrity cruise. I’m it sure if they have a special arrangement with the government. I just find it odd that some lines can enter without the visa while others can not.

VietnamVisaEmbassy.org = private, for profit visa service website masquerading as an official government site.

VietnamEmbassy-USA.Org = official government site.

That is why I was asking him where he found it on the VietnamEmbassy-USA.org site. Because I could not find it there.

Just found this on the Vietnamese embassy web page:

Vietnam Visa fee for cruise passengers back to US$5 per pax. International cruisepassengers will pay a US$5 visa fee each, instead of a staggering US$45, when they go ashore for a local tour, according to new measures approved last week by the Prime Minister.

Hope this can help someone.

Actually, it will only confuse someone. If you look closely at that web page, you will notice that there is no date on it. But if you Google the name of the Prime Minister who approved the change you will see that he has been out of office a couple of years.

You never know what Princess will charge for the on-board issued visa. I was on a back to back on the Majestic February and March this year. On the way down we stopped in Vietnam and were charged $30 + $3 for the visa. On the way back (like a week later), we were charged $55. for the visa. Of course, we have no idea what Princess actually paid for the visas.

FYI...Loook at this link......https://vietnamvisaembassy.org/vietnam-visa-fee-cruise-passengers-back-us5-per-pax/

This has the complete information about the visa. I’m forwarding this information to Princess so that they can check/verify this information & update the Princess site as necessary.

Tom😀

My post #30 is still correct. The Prime Minister named in that web page, Nguyen Tan Dung left office 7 April 2016.

Actually, it will only confuse someone. If you look closely at that web page, you will notice that there is no date on it. But if you Google the name of the Prime Minister who approved the change you will see that he has been out of office a couple of years.

You never know what Princess will charge for the on-board issued visa. I was on a back to back on the Majestic February and March this year. On the way down we stopped in Vietnam and were charged $30 + $3 for the visa. On the way back (like a week later), we were charged $55. for the visa. Of course, we have no idea what Princess actually paid for the visas.

Doesn't confuse me as I received that same 55+1 charge on Majestic.....for one stop in June of last year...Curious did P tell u the prices b4 sailing, we were informed before hand on our summary?

But as a Vietnam poster mentioned on this thread "visa" fees always are changing.

With the cruise ships there most be something else involved????

My experience on trips...best laid plans are always "railroaded."

I do not do any visas until close to sailing because requirements change case in point....

Starting in 2018, US travelers to Brazil can now get an electronic visa for $40 bucks...what a time & treasure saver.....unfortunately only lasts for the life of your passport or 2 years.

Last year, I waited tell the last minute to get my second visa for China, at least now it is good for 10 years, I want to get my "full" benefit.

Presently, I need to get an OZ visa, still holding out until a month before...why use effort and treasure when life might get in the way of my trips.

Many people, including some of my family members like to get their ducks in a row, long before a trip..I prefer..to wait a month or so after final payment. Each to his own...

Edited by land lover

• 1 month later...

I recently contacted the Vietnam Consular Office in San Francisco, CA and this is the response I received. It appears that the quoted price for a visa for US citizens is $80.00:

Thank you for writing to the Vietnam Consulate,

In order to apply for visa, you can bring your document to the Consulate; No appointment needed, Monday through Friday, business hours: 8:30am-12am and 2:30pm-4:30 pm. Or you can Mail the document to the Consulate (VIETNAM CONSULATE, 1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109). The document includes:

1.Application form (completed at Consulate's website: http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org, “Consular Services" - "Visa").

2.Original passport (or a COPY of the first page of your passport)

3.1 color photo 2x2 inch (if you send a copy of your passport, please send 2 photos in order to issue a loose-leaf visa)

4.Visa fee:

$80 for 1 month/single entry visa;

$110 for 3 months/single entry visa;

$135 for 1 month/multiple entries visa;

$160 for 3 months/multiple entries visa.

$170 for 6 months/multiple entries visa (US passport holders can apply up to 6 moths/ multiple entries visa)

$185 for 1 year/multiple entries visa (US passport holders can apply up to 1 year multiple entries visa)

The fee have to be in Money order or Cashier’s check (Personal check is not acceptable), and payable to VIETNAM CONSULATE. If you come to the Consulate in person, you can pay in cash. Applicants applying together may submit the fee in one money order.

5.A pre-paid returned envelope if you want us to send back visa by Mail.

6.It takes 3 business days to process visa since we receive your documents

7. Expedited (same day processing fee): $30 per visa

- Return by Fedex Weekday Overnight: $20

(It is optional)

I recently contacted the Vietnam Consular Office in San Francisco, CA and this is the response I received. It appears that the quoted price for a visa for US citizens is $80.00:

Thank you for writing to the Vietnam Consulate,

In order to apply for visa, you can bring your document to the Consulate; No appointment needed, Monday through Friday, business hours: 8:30am-12am and 2:30pm-4:30 pm. Or you can Mail the document to the Consulate (VIETNAM CONSULATE, 1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109). The document includes:

1.Application form (completed at Consulate's website: http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org, “Consular Services" - "Visa").

2.Original passport (or a COPY of the first page of your passport)

3.1 color photo 2x2 inch (if you send a copy of your passport, please send 2 photos in order to issue a loose-leaf visa)

4.Visa fee:

$80 for 1 month/single entry visa;

$110 for 3 months/single entry visa;

$135 for 1 month/multiple entries visa;

$160 for 3 months/multiple entries visa.

$170 for 6 months/multiple entries visa (US passport holders can apply up to 6 moths/ multiple entries visa)

$185 for 1 year/multiple entries visa (US passport holders can apply up to 1 year multiple entries visa)

The fee have to be in Money order or Cashier’s check (Personal check is not acceptable), and payable to VIETNAM CONSULATE. If you come to the Consulate in person, you can pay in cash. Applicants applying together may submit the fee in one money order.

5.A pre-paid returned envelope if you want us to send back visa by Mail.

6.It takes 3 business days to process visa since we receive your documents

7. Expedited (same day processing fee): $30 per visa

- Return by Fedex Weekday Overnight: $20

(It is optional)

Ha! Thanks.

All this complaining for nothing. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, leo72976 said:

My wife and I traveled to Vietnam on a cruise with RCL this past May. As a US cititizen there was no need to purchase a Visa, we just need to purchase a landing card....I think it was $5 each person. We had to surrender the card when we rebounded the ship at the last port in Vietnam. I’m sure Princess must do something similar.

Vietnam is a beautiful country! Definitely book tours thru the ship! You will regret it if you don’t. Please feel free to ask any questions! We had a great experience and want others to have the same.

Here is another example where RCL charges $ 5 or $6 USD per person. Celebrity is the same. Princess unfortunately is still fleecing its passengers and charging $56 per person.