Condition of Freedom?

I generally hate everyone and everything, and the only complaint I have about Freedom in February was the inability to get a pool chair anywhere in the same zip code as the pool. I didn't see anything that was in need of repair.

I cannot comment on the condition of the Freedom currently, but we sailed her in March 2016 and March 2017 and found the ship fine. We are booked again on the Freedom in March 2019, so that should tell you right there we did not have issue with the ship. If you switch to the Carnival ship, I am sure you will not enjoy it as much as the Freedom. There is a reason it is priced considerably less than the Freedom.

As for pricing airfare, we booked our airfare the first week it came out. Prices have gone and doubled or tripled since we booked. Southwest has not yet released airfare for our March trip, so I cannot compare how they will price their flights.

As for San Juan, it is a great place to visit and I would highly recommend a couple days there. If you have a day to visit the rain forest, I would be sure to do that. We have tried our two visits to Puerto Rico to do this but were unable to do so both times (hurricane damage and fully booked tours the other time). The forts in San Juan are worth a visit. The city is great and wonderful to explore on your own. Remember, the day the cruise sets sail, you will not sail until the evening, so you can always spend the day looking around San Juan and then board the ship later on.

Yes I have been watching airfare and it looks pretty ridiculous so I hope to snag some good (?) JetBlue rates the minute they come out. Of course, once I've done this, I'm pretty much locked in, so needed to get in all the recon I can before that happens. Considering waiting for Southwest, but I believe they will come out after JetBlue and no non-stop flights from my area...but at least they're changeable without penalty.

I generally hate everyone and everything, and the only complaint I have about Freedom in February was the inability to get a pool chair anywhere in the same zip code as the pool. I didn't see anything that was in need of repair.

This itinerary only has one sea day, it's very port intensive, so I don't think we will mind this. We like parking ourselves on the loungers up the stairs from the pool anyway to get away from the crowds. Freedom has these, I believe?

The pool chair issue seems to be a problem on every ship in the Caribbean on sea days. You better get your chair by 8:00 AM or you're out of luck!

Yes I have been watching airfare and it looks pretty ridiculous so I hope to snag some good (?) JetBlue rates the minute they come out. Of course, once I've done this, I'm pretty much locked in, so needed to get in all the recon I can before that happens. Considering waiting for Southwest, but I believe they will come out after JetBlue and no non-stop flights from my area...but at least they're changeable without penalty.

We managed to snag return flights Toronto to San Juan for about $250 Canadian by booking when they first were put out. Not the best flights, but definitely the best price. I believe JetBlue puts their flights our about 2 or 3 months ahead of Southwest. Other airlines put their flights out 2 months prior to JetBlue. We never can change our flights without penalty, so we purchase when we think we see a price that looks good to us.

This itinerary only has one sea day, it's very port intensive, so I don't think we will mind this. We like parking ourselves on the loungers up the stairs from the pool anyway to get away from the crowds. Freedom has these, I believe?

another spot you may like are the loungers at the back of the ship on the level just below the flowrider. Nice and quiet usually, not very windy either, and a good view to boot.

I booked a hotel for Friday and Saturday nights pre-cruise, but haven't booked air, yet...waiting for JetBlue and Southwest fares to come out. Also giving myself time to change my mind if I need to. What would you recommend doing in San Juan? We will probably have Friday evening and all day Saturday. I'm debating between a self-guided tour of OSJ with stops in a few bars and restaurants, or a guided tour to El Yunque. Not sure how much time we will have to do both?

Thanks!

if you do a self tour of Old San Juan,there is a free shuttle that will take you up to the fort,the shuttle is an on/off at any point.The other thing to see is Barrchina that is where the Pena Colota was invented.You can eat or just drinks there.

if you do a self tour of Old San Juan,there is a free shuttle that will take you up to the fort,the shuttle is an on/off at any point.The other thing to see is Barrchina that is where the Pena Colota was invented.You can eat or just drinks there.

I thought some have said that the free (white) shuttle hasn't been in service since the hurricane ?

My family and I just got off FOS (last Saturday). There is a little wear and tear but absolutely nothing to worry about or that should preclude you from going forward with your planned vacation. This was our 4th time on Freedom and she is a fantastic ship.

For the record, we went on the same itinerary you are planning and really enjoyed it. You do have to pace yourself because five straight port days can be tough (if I could change anything it would be to have a sea day in the middle but I know that it not practical given the schedule).

My family and I just got off FOS (last Saturday). There is a little wear and tear but absolutely nothing to worry about or that should preclude you from going forward with your planned vacation. This was our 4th time on Freedom and she is a fantastic ship.

For the record, we went on the same itinerary you are planning and really enjoyed it. You do have to pace yourself because five straight port days can be tough (if I could change anything it would be to have a sea day in the middle but I know that it not practical given the schedule).

Thanks for the response. What are your favorite things about the ship? Anything we shouldn't miss? Also with regards to the amazing itinerary, what did you do in each port? Anything you would recommend as not to be missed...or anything you found not so great as you expected? My family loves beaches and snorkeling and hiking so we are seeking a mix of maybe a forest hike/safari and lots of snorkeling and sunbathing!

Thanks everyone for assuaging my fears! Pretty sure we are going forward with this trip!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. What are your favorite things about the ship? Anything we shouldn't miss? Also with regards to the amazing itinerary, what did you do in each port? Anything you would recommend as not to be missed...or anything you found not so great as you expected? My family loves beaches and snorkeling and hiking so we are seeking a mix of maybe a forest hike/safari and lots of snorkeling and sunbathing!

Thanks everyone for assuaging my fears! Pretty sure we are going forward with this trip!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Regarding the ship, there truly is a ton to do. Shows are excellent (Once Upon a Time, the Ice Show is AMAZING, etc.) and it has a great layout. It may seem like a strange "attribute" but we also like the fact you can access the helipad. One thing I should note...the Schooner Bar could use more seating.

For more information especially on the ports, please check out the report I am in the process of writing and posting. It is currently in the main RCCL board under something like "Freedom of the Sease = July 14-21 - Report" or something like that. You can find it under my user name. And if anyone knows how I can get it posted on this specific FOS board, please let me know as I cannot figure out how to do it!!

Just off the Freedom yesterday morning. This was our third time on her, and she looked as good as the last two times. Had a great cruise and all went well. Feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums