SA/Antarctica 2020 question

CJcruzer

2 sailings :

Jan 9,2020 (22 day) Chile to Buenos Aires

Jan 31, 2020 (22 day) BA to Chile

which date is more preferable. One "con" for JAn 09 sailing is that at the end, there is no sea day before disembarking. Montevideo, BA day, then disembark.

However, is the earlier sailing better weatherwise?

We cruised the Horn, Antarctica excluded, many years ago and did the BA to Chile, I believe our cruise began Feb 5. We did spend 3 days in BA, so that also made the Jan 9 sailing more attractive, but the rush at the end is making me reconsider.

Any thoughts or advice?

thanks

We did antarctica on the Ryndam in 2002. It was early in January. Lemaire channel was still ice so we went part way in and then backed out. Frankly it didnt affect the cruise for us at all but I guess we did miss something. It was all so amazing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Really look at the port times, particularly in the Falkland Islands. When I did a similar itinerary, the west bound itinerary had longer times in the Falkland Islands which allowed pax to do the tour to Volunteer Point. I was told that the east bound itinerary didn't have as much time there. I have no idea whether that is still true now. And, of course, that means nothing if you don't care about going to Volunteer Point.

I can't help with the weather question as we went in November (without Antarctica).

We did the January 6 BA to Chile route this year and the weather overall was very good. The seas around Cape Horn were like glass. During the four days in Antarctica, we mostly had overcast skies, but we did have a half day with a beautiful blue sky that allowed for some beautiful photographs. The weather in the Falklands was good. The only hitch that I saw that would relate to which route to take occurred in Buenos Aires and it didn’t affect us. Apparently commercial truck drivers were protesting, which caused a lot of headaches for those disembarking in BA. Our taxi driver was able to thread his way through the mostly stalled traffic to get us to the terminal without any real delay.

Personally I would take the Chili to Buenos Aires route. Vie the chillean fjords you will gradually make your way to the Antarctic, the highlight of the trip. With only Falkland and Montevideo thereafter.

I did it the other way, and while the whole trip was fantastic, the longer chillean fjords part, beautifull as they are, was a bit of a letdown compared to the Antarctica experience. A bit like seeing the finale of the show first and thereafter the lead in.

As for the dates, In Early Januari there will be a lot of ice so not everything will be possible. The weather is hit or miss, you can have clear skies or snowy dark days.

Personally I would take the Chili to Buenos Aires route. Vie the chillean fjords you will gradually make your way to the Antarctic, the highlight of the trip. With only Falkland and Montevideo thereafter.

I did it the other way, and while the whole trip was fantastic, the longer chillean fjords part, beautifull as they are, was a bit of a letdown compared to the Antarctica experience. A bit like seeing the finale of the show first and thereafter the lead in.

I agree. While the Chilean fjords and Beagle channel etc. are beautiful, they are 'anticlimactic' after seeing Antarctica.

Everything I've read and folks I've talked to say that going from Chile to BA is better, as the Beagle Channel and Fjords get you ready for Antarctica. Going the other direction they seem anti-climatic.

As for the seas crossing, its always going to be a toss up. We did Chile to BA in 2015 and the cruise from the Horn to Antarctica was very calm. We heard from the officers that the other way, its was 40 foot seas.

Back then it was only 19 days and we did an Overnight in BA, so I did not feel rushed at all. We did a couple of days post in BA, so the 'rushed' factor was even less.

We are planning to do it again within the next couple of years, may even go for an expedition cruise so we can set foot on the continent.

We are planning to do it again within the next couple of years, may even go for an expedition cruise so we can set foot on the continent.

I did the same and never regretted it. To get up close with the wildlife and scenery is definately worth the extra money!

We're currently on the Prisendam and met with the cruise consultant and booked the SA/Antarctica cruise for 2020. She said she had taken that cruise several times and recommended the late January sailing for better weather.

Have done both directions. Liked the Chile to BA best because cruising through the glaciers before Ushuaia really got us excited about what to see in Ant. Going opposite direction - the glaciers were not quite as exciting or amazing after cruising Ant. waters. Weather was good on cruises - early and late Jan. We also were able to visit Falklands each time and had plenty of time to visit penguin colonies.

We're currently on the Prisendam and met with the cruise consultant and booked the SA/Antarctica cruise for 2020. She said she had taken that cruise several times and recommended the late January sailing for better weather.

thank youfor that advice.