Staying near Webster - what's the traffic like to Galveston on port day?

I'm thinking of staying out of Galveston before cruising and was wondering what the traffic is like going down to the port on the morning of the cruise? I am going to most likely be using Uber, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much for your help :):)

I'm thinking of staying out of Galveston before cruising and was wondering what the traffic is like going down to the port on the morning of the cruise? I am going to most likely be using Uber, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much for your help :):)

Might make difference day and date you sail...

We stayed in Webster last April for our cruise. Took about 40 minutes to arrive at the port including parking.

We normally arrive early at the port around 10:45 and traffic was no problem that day.

We have plans to do the same next June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed in Webster last April for our cruise. Took about 40 minutes to arrive at the port including parking.

We normally arrive early at the port around 10:45 and traffic was no problem that day.

We have plans to do the same next June.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully my plan goes off without a hitch.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully my plan goes off without a hitch.

Webster is just a few miles from the Kemah Boardwalk which is fun to go to the afternoon/evening before your cruise.

Lots of restaurants and entertainment for adults & kiddos. We visited last year and plan to take the grands next summer before the cruise.

Webster is just a few miles from the Kemah Boardwalk which is fun to go to the afternoon/evening before your cruise.

Lots of restaurants and entertainment for adults & kiddos. We visited last year and plan to take the grands next summer before the cruise.

I'll have to look into that, thanks. We are coming in from Canada, so we are hitting the mall for all things American that we can't get back home. ;p

One night at the Hilton in Galveston is over $400 CAD! That's crazy!

last July, my husband & I stayed by the Nasa Space Center, was a 30 minute drive to leave our car at the EZ Lot. We came in 2 days early so we could go through the Space Center

I was considering the Space Center, but not sure my daughter would like it. LOL

I am on same cruise for August 26th and have left from Webster numerous times for cruises. Thirty minutes to cruise port is approximate drive time. Have your driver avoid Harborside and take I45 into town, turn on 22nd to cruise port(less traffic).

I am on same cruise for August 26th and have left from Webster numerous times for cruises. Thirty minutes to cruise port is approximate drive time. Have your driver avoid Harborside and take I45 into town, turn on 22nd to cruise port(less traffic).

Howdy fellow cruiser :) Thank you for the tip, I will make sure to write it down and tell the driver.

Not long to go now...

Monnom, we put in a full day going to the different sections and found it very interesting. How old is your daughter. we did the tour first then spent rest of day at the Center.

She is 12 and is more into physical activities than exploring, so I wonder??

Lived in the area for 45 years. About 40 minutes to get to the ship. What I would suggest is that if you're departing on a weekend, the non-cruise traffic on Interstate 45 will be prohibitive. Highway 3 is a convenient back-way without that many stoplights. The only problem is that you get deposited onto I-45 just before you hit Galveston Island.

It’s the last weekend before school starts for most people in the area so the mall may be busy, and there may be some extra traffic on the roads, but it shouldn’t be terrible. If you’re taking an Uber, the driver will take whichever route their app says is quickest.

Definitely don’t pay that much to stay at the Hilton Galveston. It’s not worth anywhere close to that much. In fact it was the worst Hilton I’ve ever stayed in and I’ve stayed in a lot.

Lived in the area for 45 years. About 40 minutes to get to the ship. What I would suggest is that if you're departing on a weekend, the non-cruise traffic on Interstate 45 will be prohibitive. Highway 3 is a convenient back-way without that many stoplights. The only problem is that you get deposited onto I-45 just before you hit Galveston Island.

I was looking at the 3 and thinking it must have been the original road to Galveston before the 45. It's definitely an option to discuss with driver, thank you.

Originally I was going to stay at the Hilton, and was planning a later time to arrive at the port. But staying off the island makes me wonder if that's still the best way to go? I'd hate to get stuck in traffic and start the day off with stress. I'll be dropping off a rental, so can't head south until after 9. Maybe I should head south earlier?

It’s the last weekend before school starts for most people in the area so the mall may be busy, and there may be some extra traffic on the roads, but it shouldn’t be terrible. If you’re taking an Uber, the driver will take whichever route their app says is quickest.

Definitely don’t pay that much to stay at the Hilton Galveston. It’s not worth anywhere close to that much. In fact it was the worst Hilton I’ve ever stayed in and I’ve stayed in a lot.

I've been with drivers that have followed their app and we've gone the wrong way :( I'll be one of the many people at the mall that weekend LOL

I wanted to stay at the Galvez Hotel, but roughly the same price with a two night minimum! :o

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Texas City and there is no problem whatsoever with traffic to the port in the morning...I believe it gets crowded around 12, but we always arrive between 9:30 and 10, check the luggage, drop the car at Park n Cruise and then walk down to the Starbucks for a latte.

The public schools in the Webster and many of the surrounding areas start the week of the 20th, so that mall may not be as crazy as you might think.

We always drive to the port from near there, and it's never more than 30-45 minutes....even in the summer when I expected the beach traffic heading to Galveston to be awful. We usually plan to arrive by 10:30, so that timing may help avoid some of the worst of it.

Do not overthink driving to Galveston from Kemah or Webster on any day during week or weekends , unless there is a bad wreck like anywhere in world . Most closures for construction needs are done during nights. There is always I 45 , HW 3 , and HW 146 , 288 to 6 to I 45. And Since everyone wants to arrival early and usually before noon , morning driving on any of these roads should not be bad at all, unless there is a real unusual circumstance.

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Texas City and there is no problem whatsoever with traffic to the port in the morning...I believe it gets crowded around 12, but we always arrive between 9:30 and 10, check the luggage, drop the car at Park n Cruise and then walk down to the Starbucks for a latte.

Thanks for your reply. I like how close this port is to an area that can be walked to and enjoyed. I've read a number of people like to walk around before boarding. I want to have the least amount of waiting around doing nothing, it's hard on kids. I would love to just walk on the ship like we did last year when we got to the port and we were the only ones left there :rolleyes:

The public schools in the Webster and many of the surrounding areas start the week of the 20th, so that mall may not be as crazy as you might think.

We always drive to the port from near there, and it's never more than 30-45 minutes....even in the summer when I expected the beach traffic heading to Galveston to be awful. We usually plan to arrive by 10:30, so that timing may help avoid some of the worst of it.

I was a little worried about this. I hope there's enough kids her age to have some fun with on the ship.

Do not overthink driving to Galveston from Kemah or Webster on any day during week or weekends , unless there is a bad wreck like anywhere in world . Most closures for construction needs are done during nights. There is always I 45 , HW 3 , and HW 146 , 288 to 6 to I 45. And Since everyone wants to arrival early and usually before noon , morning driving on any of these roads should not be bad at all, unless there is a real unusual circumstance.

Thank you for the information. Ideally I want to drop off our luggage and go for a stroll before getting on the ship. Sounds like there will be lots doing that ;)

On our first cruise out of Galveston, we actually stayed NORTH of Houston and drove in that morning. We got up early (like 7am...) and didn't have a problem making it to the ship at all. In fact, that cruise was the first cruise/cruiseship to return to Galveston after the hurricane, so we drove around the island looking at damage, et al. before heading to the terminal.

On our 2nd cruise from Galveston, we stayed way out in Bayport (Our route was a bit different that year with some stops we had to make. I found a good hotel in a good area....and I knew from experience that we had plenty of time to get to the terminal that next morning) It seems like a strange place for a pre-cruise hotel, but it worked for us that year/trip.

On our 3rd cruise out of Galveston, we stayed at the Best Western there on Seawall Blvd...had time that morning to go to Walmart and drive my parents all the way down the island to see it (They'd never been there before)

On our FOUTH trip to Galveston, we actually weren't cruising...we had been there so many times and each time said "We've GOT to return here someday and just see Galveston". So that year, we just drove down and spent time there seeing and doing things on the Island. When we left (after 5 days) we went to Webster....spent a full day at Spaceport (IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! I imagine your daughter would love it!!!) and an evening at Kemah. Kemah was nice.....not as wonderful as Spaceport, but certainly good for an evening. I think it would be great for a pre- or post-cruise evening. Check their website to find out when they are open...it's not 'all day every day'.... ;)

Reading your comment above...I wonder if your plan to drop off luggage at the terminal and walk around will work. If I remember correctly (and barring any changes in the last couple of years) there really isn't much in the area other than industrial and parking garages/lots. If you want to sightsee, perhaps that's something to do BEFORE heading to the terminal.

My blog post of our visit to Galveston and things to do there: https://frugaltravelerusa.wordpress.com/fun-things-to-do-in-around-galveston-texas/

Edited by rgmacm

We've cruised out of Galveston a number of times. Only a couple of times did we actually stay on the island. This was prior to reasonably priced hotels joining others and really jacking up their prices.

All the other times we've stayed in Texas City. We'll be cruising the week prior to you, and this time we're staying in League City.

Getting to port on a Sunday morning has never been a problem. Traffic seems lazy if you leave early. We do leave in time to be at port by 10:00 - 10:30. Also use the advice of not going down Harborside drive, although, that may be what a GPS might tell you. If you do this, you have to turn left into the port area, and that line gets very long.

Enjoy your cruise!