Pending misdemeanor charge and getting through customs

Unless there is a warrant for your arrest or you are on supervised release no one will know that you left the state, unless yu get in trouble while gone.

That's good advice. Go ahead and go. No one will know. And if you should just happen to get caught, you will just go directly to jail. Since you are on your honeymoon, maybe you'll get a conjugal visit or two.

Also,they just might assume you are trying to flee the country and those DUI charges. You will probably be barred from all the cruise lines for future cruises and be barred from ever entering Canada or Australia and who knows where else. But it should be worth the risk.

Don't cancel the trip and wait til after your trial for your honeymoon cruise. That would be too easy. Go ahead and take the chance because someone on CC said it would be OK.

BTW: Don't consult your lawyer or the court either. They may not give you an answer or advice that you like.

Good luck.

...Don't cancel the trip and wait til after your trial for your honeymoon cruise. That would be too easy. Go ahead and take the chance because someone on CC said it would be OK.... BTW: Don't consult your lawyer or the court either. They may not give you an answer or advice that you like....Good luck.

OP has already married, gone on the honeymoon cruise, and reported back here. The reply and resulting outcome are in post 60.

That's good advice. Go ahead and go. No one will know. And if you should just happen to get caught, you will just go directly to jail. Since you are on your honeymoon, maybe you'll get a conjugal visit or two.

Also,they just might assume you are trying to flee the country and those DUI charges. You will probably be barred from all the cruise lines for future cruises and be barred from ever entering Canada or Australia and who knows where else. But it should be worth the risk.

Don't cancel the trip and wait til after your trial for your honeymoon cruise. That would be too easy. Go ahead and take the chance because someone on CC said it would be OK.

BTW: Don't consult your lawyer or the court either. They may not give you an answer or advice that you like.

Good luck.

My snarky comments were directed to the poster giving you some very bad advice.

I am most happy to see that you went through the proper channels and got clearance before your cruise. The end result was a great cruise and it appears that all will work out as to your charges.

Congratulations on being a responsible person person who did the right thing in this instance. I can understand how the travel restriction clause could easily be overlooked.

I and my passenger nearly died when a drunk driver hit us head on. After that, I NEVER drive after drinking ANY alcohol.

I work at a courthouse in Texas and the DA WILL NOT speak with a defendant that is represented by counsel. Can you imagine the trouble they would get in?

But in that case, his attorney would have talked to the DA to get permission.

I am still wondering why the OP would not get an attorney.

Even if he feels he is properly charged and wants to pay the price, I wonder if he understands the possible long term ramifications.

As in, not being able to go to Canada. Also, some rights are based on the possible maximum sentence, not the actual sentence.

So I'm taking a gamble with my future. I don't really have $2,000 to drop on an attorney when I am probably getting convicted either way. I talked to 2 different ones, one of which is the best in the area and he even said they are hard to get out of in Virginia. My plan is to go ahead and take appropriate steps to show that I take this seriously. I am signing up for the VASAP class, a reckless driving course, and seeing a therapist. I plan on taking this to the DA and asking to plead the charge down so my career and child custody aren't harmed in favor of a much stiffer up front penalty, such as community service, additional fine, weekend in jail...etc.

I know...many of you won't agree with this....and I may change my mind in the next 4 months before my trial date, but that's my plan.

I am still wondering why the OP would not get an attorney.

Even if he feels he is properly charged and wants to pay the price, I wonder if he understands the possible long term ramifications.

As in, not being able to go to Canada. Also, some rights are based on the possible maximum sentence, not the actual sentence.

Why is it anybody elses concern how the OP decides to handle it?

You provided good advise, OP decides to go another way,,, drop it. Unless of course you have control over the situation and are offering to pay for the attorney. The horse is dead. Stop beating it.

So I'm taking a gamble with my future. I don't really have $2,000 to drop on an attorney when I am probably getting convicted either way. I talked to 2 different ones, one of which is the best in the area and he even said they are hard to get out of in Virginia. My plan is to go ahead and take appropriate steps to show that I take this seriously. I am signing up for the VASAP class, a reckless driving course, and seeing a therapist. I plan on taking this to the DA and asking to plead the charge down so my career and child custody aren't harmed in favor of a much stiffer up front penalty, such as community service, additional fine, weekend in jail...etc. I know...many of you won't agree with this....and I may change my mind in the next 4 months before my trial date, but that's my plan.
Hats off go you. It certainly seems you are taking very positive steps to recognize errors you may have made but are accepting your need to see it does not happen again. I wish you the very best that this concludes well and you have the least painful penalties inflicted on you and your family as you accept responsibility. Would be great if more of us did that. GOOd luck and fingers crossed for you, your child and your bride. :)