Pending misdemeanor charge and getting through customs

For how long have you been stressing ove r this and never asked your attorney? :confused:

According to the OP, only since yesterday. Apparently he couldn't be bothered to read the conditions of his release, pending his hearing, when he was arrested back in May. He said he was going to contact the DAs office this morning, and they are supposedly leaving to drive down (leaving the state for the 3rd time) tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if he returns to give us the results of his conversation with the DAs office.

According to the OP, only since yesterday. Apparently he couldn't be bothered to read the conditions of his release, pending his hearing, when he was arrested back in May. He said he was going to contact the DAs office this morning, and they are supposedly leaving to drive down (leaving the state for the 3rd time) tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if he returns to give us the results of his conversation with the DAs office.

I don't think the "one phone call" includes cellular data.

I

I read his contacting DA and courthouse and took that to imply the DA's are always at ' the courthouse' which is silly

The BiGGER point i s why didn't he consult his attorney?

I hope he re t urns to tell us how he made out.

Why does no one question his not commenting about advice he may have asked of his attorney rather than asking us here?

That strikes me as really odd.

Odds are he doesn't have an attorney. Depending on the charge he either didn't need one or had a court appointed one or since it's supposedly pending has had a court appointed one assigned yet. Not real sure what misdemeanor would carry a penalty of no travel. There's usually more to the story

Odds are he doesn't have an attorney. Depending on the charge he either didn't need one or had a court appointed one or since it's supposedly pending has had a court appointed one assigned yet. Not real sure what misdemeanor would carry a penalty of no travel. There's usually more to the story

From the Original Post:

I was charged with a misdemeanor DUI (1st offense) back in May and had no idea but on my court papers it says I can't leave the state I'm in without court approval.

I think there is more to it than that

I don’t think there is. The point is that Canada classes DUI as a felony.

It has been shown on “Border Control” several times where an unsuspecting driver from the US has been arrested when trying to enter Canada at one of the check points. Even when the DUI was many years before.

Odds are he doesn't have an attorney. Depending on the charge he either didn't need one or had a court appointed one [/quote[ THUS my comments re: Public Defender.

[/quote[or since it's supposedly pending has had a court appointed one assigned yet. Not real sure what misdemeanor would carry a penalty of no travel. There's usually more to the story

;.....

From the Original Post:

I was charged with a misdemeanor DUI (1st offense) back in May and had no idea but on my court papers it says I can't leave the state I'm in without court approval.

The OP should just pack a gift for the officers.

You know what they say about someone who represents themself in a criminal proceeding?

Hopefully you are being sarcastic - or are you suggesting adding bribery to his problem?

Thanks for asking what I was thinking

A misdmeanor may suddenly turn into a felony or two.

Hopefully you are being sarcastic - or are you suggesting adding bribery to his problem?

Thanks for asking what I was thinking

A misdmeanor may suddenly turn into a felony or two.

That was a "Dennis Miller" reference to the poster I was responding to...

Op???

Well, depending on how the phone call went yesterday, they are supposed to be driving down to the departure port today/tonight. So I don't know when or if we'll ever hear about the outcome.

As many have said ... it isn't likely the court will say "oh, sure ... leave the state to go on your cruise". So OP may be a little too PO'd to come 'talk' to us ....