Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Fall. Time for the changing of the recipes.

Scallops for dinner tonight. I was going to gather some herbs from the garden and make a pesto sauce to put on them, and serve with pasta.

But Chris said that was too summery. So I switched gears. Farro replaced the pasta. Sauteed mushrooms with a sprig of rosemary and a splash of sherry replaced the pesto. Voila, a fall-worthy dish.

We grabbed a special bottle of wine for this. One that we brought home from the cruise with our OBC. A nice Chablis. If this is autumn, sign me up.20181003_192906.thumb.jpg.5a03886b71ee2822c0661cddbe417f64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Screenshot_20181003-194853_Vivino.thumb.jpg.de2bfaffa37e6e2c9b9787f04bd99056.jpg

Greetings Coolers!

JP...your meal looks delicious! Have a wonderful time on your upcoming adventure and safe travels!

Monday will be Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. In honour, today's funny.....

42782775_1892324514147904_1268536247484153856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=249dc4161c1726c62085c92e4ee8f058&oe=5C5C4FFE

Have a great day all!

Hello everyone:)

JP (and all) the Dr's office FINALLY called me today with the results of that Parathyroid scan and no need for surgery as everything came back negative:)……..so, I don't know why my number was high but at this point,

I really don't care ( I know as a Dr you probably don't like to hear that). But the nurse said everything came back looking good. Maybe turning 60 just was the year of my long demise (just kidding)……..I feel fine though.

I am not going to look for any more issues:eek:

YAY Lois!

There is an fairly common (but poorly-understood) thing called FHH (Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia) which can to varying degrees mimic hyperparathyroidism on blood tests, though on more detailed testing, the parathyroids are actual normal. More explanation that that goes way beyond the scope of the cooler...but the key is to recognize that parathyroid surgery isn't needed. It can be very tricky to tell the difference sometimes. I usually get a second opinion from an endocrinologist when I'm dealing with this.

I don't know whether you have that, but if you do, nothing usually needs to be done. I will keep my parathyroids crossed for you. :D

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend, all.

My mother has always told me that you should never name something you're going to eat. The exceptions when she was growing up on the farm were the two turkeys they raised each year. One was called 'Thanksgiving', and the other was 'Christmas'.

Glad to read that Lois' most recent health concerns are alleviated, and also thanks once again to JP for providing an explanation accessible to us mere mortals!

I was in the Okanagan earlier this week, and just barely managed to make it home. The rules in BC are that we have to have our winter tread tires on for travel on most highways that have mountain passes as of October 1st. I didn't, as it is usually after Thanksgiving (Canadian variety) that the snow hits the passes, so I wasn't really concerned. However, on September 30th, I was on the wrong side of the mountains and the Drive BC website showed significant amounts of snow on the Okanagan Connector (Hwy 97C). I ended up taking the scenic route home, down to Hwy 3, whose mountain passes are a little bit lower (*1342 metres) than the passes on the connector (*1728 metres). The snow level was down to 1300 metres, but hadn't made it that far south. So the drive ended up being mostly uneventful (the best kind).

Of course today the pass is clear. (Current condition webcam: http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/webcams/id/251.html) But I'll be getting my snow tires put on before heading that way again!

But, because I was taking the slow road home (5 hour drive versus 4 hours on the Coquihalla - the major difference being Hwy 3 is mostly 2 lane, 90 km/hr speed limit, while the Coquihalla is 6 lanes, divided, with top posted speed of 120 km/hr), I stopped at a couple of produce stands along the way, and bought some 'farm direct' harvest items: tomatoes, onions, garlic, squash, etc., so it wasn't a completely wasted diversion. (And, as always, the scenery was spectacular.) DH and I have been busy making relish, salsa, etc. the past couple of days.

(* For the Welsh in the cooler: These are the elevations of the mountain passes, not the mountains themselves, which are much taller. We refer to every approximately 1000 metres as a 'Snowdon', so the mountain passes are '1.3 Snowdons', or '1.7 Snowdons'. ;) )

Mleh, chuckles at the Snowdons, one is enough for us but for the sake of accuracy its 1085m.

Jeff lunch looks lovely. Our chef has been doing something amazing with lamb cutlets lately drizzled in honey and sauteed in flaked almonds. I'll only say it's not a good look waltzing around the dining room with dribble down your shirt!

Yummy food talk and pix. I make a pecan-crusted chicken cutlet recipe but I don't cook lamb at home because Chris doesn't really eat it. So it's my go to dish when dining out. Almonds make anything better, though...that sounds good!

Was going to make the pecan-crusted chicken tonight, actually, but not enough salad greens. So I breaded the chicken, adding some Parmesan and lemon zest to the breading mix, and served it with a creamy lemon and sage sauce.

First shot at this particular recipe and it was really delicious. I had been looking for a way to use some of the sage that's growing like crazy in the herb garden and this fit the bill perfectly.

All packed and ready to head out tomorrow. Just a small duffel and a backpack as it's really only two nights away from home. Sipping a Picpoul de Pinet and thinking about the hot tub before bed time. Have a great weekend all!

20181005_202449.thumb.jpg.aa0b727ce6161e9881fbded929ab0b2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

20181005_202455.thumb.jpg.4c9f646a9a5e9dc5cdb91ffb5f1ef72a.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

Good one, M! Reminds me of Chrystina's T-Shirt that says, "Every box of raisins is a tragic story of grapes that could have been wine!"

YES!! Great and fun visuals and sayings from BOTH . . . Mysty and J.P. Chris always looks wonderful in your pictures. This posting is in that lovely tradition. Keep up the excellent sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 213,207 views for this posting.

Good Afternoon all ... from a very rainy and grey homeland ..

Today has been a lovely day. I was in a cooking frame of mind and made her a fresh but slightly overheated beef rendang with pilau followed by a programme I have been saving for the new big monster .... Quincy on Netflix, a wonderful and detailed celebration of Quincy Jone’s, music and life so far. It was worth the wait and the new tv did it’s job.

An invitation to the many lurkers that read and drink with us quietly but have yet to say hello, Do say “hello”. :)

This was the rendang ....

a3f0f11d1dd5f5fe096d7affccb5aef5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we moved in May my husband wanted a new TV, about the same size as the old one. He eventually persuaded me and I have to say it really has an amazing picture.

Now in Milan for the night before reaching Venice and settling in for 4 weeks. We have been travelling for a week with only a few nights stop at towns in Switzerland. We haven’t opened our large suitcases but lived out of our carryons. Very pleased with ourselves.

Came from Chur today. The Swiss trains have been wonderful to travel in. Our Italian regional train from Tirano to Milan not as clean or comfortable.

Will see tomorrow when we are on Frecciarossa how it compares.