Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

That is weird -when it came up the first time it said something like 19,976 . I truly wasn't trying to get the magic number.  Maybe our moderator  or someone else can explain..  I meant it to go to someone more worthy.

You are plenty worthy Lola.

As to explaining it – me?  I don't even see the same numbers you all do.  [When a post is hidden it reduces the count for the public, but Hosts still see the hidden post so our numbers are always higher.  When I want to refer to a post by number I have to log out and check the public number...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Lola, congrats from me too🙂

Jazz, I have a question for you of If I may.....I had emailed you a few weeks ago but never received a reply back. I made sure to put who I was in the subject line....did you ever get it?

22 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lola, congrats from me too🙂

Jazz, I have a question for you of If I may.....I had emailed you a few weeks ago but never received a reply back. I made sure to put who I was in the subject line....did you ever get it?

I don't have a record of it (and my memory isn't worth much these days...).  If you send it again I'll be on the lookout:

jazzbeauster@gmail.com

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't have a record of it (and my memory isn't worth much these days...).  If you send it again I'll be on the lookout:

jazzbeauster@gmail.com

Ohhhh.....that is not the email I used.....and it has been a while....I am good right now. Thanks for that clarification though.

Looks like a few of us are confused.  I didn't explain my thing very well.  When I looked on the cooler, the last post showing said 19998, so I put one on which did not appear, so I did it again - t and they appeared, on my screen, with number  19976.  I can now see that that was one I posted earlier.

So maybe the numbers are all wrong anyway, and it does not matter at all!  Which indeed is the case of course.  Like your age, it is just a number.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Looks like a few of us are confused.  I didn't explain my thing very well.  When I looked on the cooler, the last post showing said 19998, so I put one on which did not appear, so I did it again - t and they appeared, on my screen, with number  19976.  I can now see that that was one I posted earlier.

So maybe the numbers are all wrong anyway, and it does not matter at all!  Which indeed is the case of course.  Like your age, it is just a number.

Have you been 🍷😂.. dear Lola.. hi coolers not been on for a while.. I had a stem cell transplant ( 2nd one in 10 years )in Jan & making good progress.. thin but bold 🤣.. can't have it all . always look in on the cooler .. some names I remember from the earlier days are not so much now on here .. I know I shouldn't be commenting about sailing etc but there is a lot of negativity about my favourite cruise line at the moment.. did a cruise last oct on the moon & it was fabulous. Next cruise Oct this year on the ( my favourite) silver spirit... Lola /Davey Wavey ( will come and visit your hotel )... anyway lovely to be back on board 😜 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Now I understand what happened (I think).  When I post, it initially comes up with some crazy-low number – never figured out where that came from, maybe you're right.  But when it refreshes it gets the proper 'next' number in the thread.

PS – this one initially came up with the same number as the post I was quoting, then changed to the correct one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

That is weird -when it came up the first time it said something like 19,976 . I truly wasn't trying to get the magic number.  Maybe our moderator  or someone else can explain..  I meant it to go to someone more worthy.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Now I understand what happened (I think).  When I post, it initially comes up with some crazy-low number – never figured out where that came from, maybe you're right.  But when it refreshes it gets the proper 'next' number in the thread.

PS – this one initially came up with the same number as the post I was quoting, then changed to the correct one.

Yes. It's weird. Eventually the post number straightens out, but I've seen the same thing.

Lola, you are an original Cooler, from way back even before I started out here, so I'm glad you got the honour.

Edited to add: I just clicked and submitted, and this post came up as #20,001. We know it should be 20,010. Let's see.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

LVSHACK - we will be on board the Spirit.  Getting on in Southampton and off in Athens.    We are Bob and Victoria.  I will be at the ping pong table on deck 10, and he will be in the gym.  I hope our paths do cross.  Just got my tests results today and was pleased with the number.  I hope you continue to regain your strength.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

LVSHACK - we will be on board the Spirit.  Getting on in Southampton and off in Athens.    We are Bob and Victoria.  I will be at the ping pong table on deck 10, and he will be in the gym.  I hope our paths do cross.  Just got my tests results today and was pleased with the number.  I hope you continue to regain your strength.

Hi emtbsam .. thank you for your message.. when do you board in Southampton..we live close by.. we board in Venice and finish in Athens.. could it be the same one ??. Venice 25th Oct ??... 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Ohhhh.....that is not the email I used.....and it has been a while....I am good right now. Thanks for that clarification though.

Hi Lois .. long time.. hope you are still enjoying cruising..I do follow your adventures..I know you are going to try ( you have cruised other lines before) a different line .. let me know how it goes ... Been with silversea since 2005 

.,,& can't seem to break away 😞.. started cruising in 1989.. with rccl... So I'm back where I started 😂... 

On 4/1/2024 at 4:19 AM, spinnaker2 said:
23 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Hi emtbsam .. thank you for your message.. when do you board in Southampton..we live close by.. we board in Venice and finish in Athens.. could it be the same one ??. Venice 25th Oct ??... 

IMG_2226Copy.thumb.jpeg.493b62b6d7ffa559e1547d4d40dc1080.jpeg

On 4/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, highplanesdrifters said:
Edited by Emtbsam
Don’t know where this came from. It is an error

27 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

It does seem like we will be on when you board since we get off in Athens on November 5.

we will spend a few days in London before going to Southampton.  I haven’t been to London since 1975 although I did spend time in Southampton in 1979 when my father was recovering at Royal South Hants Hospital.  Haven’t been to Bath since 1956!  It will be interesting to see the changes.

Edited by Emtbsam

9 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

It does seem like we will be on when you board since we get off in Athens on November 5.

we will spend a few days in London before going to Southampton.  I haven’t been to London since 1975 although I did spend time in Southampton in 1979 when my father was recovering at Royal South Hants Hospital.  Haven’t been to Bath since 1956!  It will be interesting to see the changes.

We get on the spirit in Venice on I think the 25th Oct & finish in Athens on the 5th November..so yes I think that's the one..well I will be with my dear husband,sister & brother in-law & brother & sister in law & best friends from Ireland.. ( my sister has just got off the spirit few days ago).. they enjoyed it.

I can't believe it.. I've seen your comments on this board for ages & I'm going to meet you... Can I ask what you mean by your test results.??.. also my brother is a good table tennis player so watch out .. !! Also I was born in 1956 when you came to Bath 😂.. look forward to meeting you both.. Victoria &bob .. hope you enjoy a good time 😊 

A quick thanks for the explanation.  You know how it is when you are looking out for the first signs of mind going doolally.  (Looking forward to explanations of this British term.)  

Lola

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

A quick thanks for the explanation.  You know how it is when you are looking out for the first signs of mind going doolally.  (Looking forward to explanations of this British term.)  

Lola

DW and I had the pleasure of attending a lecture with music by Dion (and the Belmonts, but they weren't there) at Fordham University earlier this week.  Dion btw is 85.  In the middle of one of his songs he forgot the lyrics to the next verse – he vamped through the chorus and then was able to pick up [this song was about his wife, so not from the '60s but also something you'd think would stick in the memory...].  He also repeated several stories. 

But ... the point is: he is still going strong at 85!  That's a role model I can look up to, since I've still got a good number of years to get there.  Forgot why I went down to the basement? – no problem, all I have to do is go back up 2 flights to the bedroom and I'll remember...  I woke up this morning, threw my arms out – and didn't touch a coffin.  It's all good!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Congratulations Lola. A Well deserved accolade.

Lovely to hear from you LV and wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

JB, 85 is nothing. One of my friends was quite upset when the police suggested he gave up driving at 99. He spent the next 7 years grumbling about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

JB, 85 is nothing. One of my friends was quite upset when the police suggested he gave up driving at 99. He spent the next 7 years grumbling about it.

Well, my mother lived almost to 96, but she spent the last 5-6 years saying "I've lived too long."  Her health was still good, some dementia that didn't really bother her until the very end – just no joy left in living.  So I'm not looking to outlive her – plus my estate-planning life insurance only has premiums guaranteed through 100 and I can't imagine how much they will charge if I make the mistake of living past that!!!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are plenty worthy Lola.

As to explaining it – me?  I don't even see the same numbers you all do.  [When a post is hidden it reduces the count for the public, but Hosts still see the hidden post so our numbers are always higher.  When I want to refer to a post by number I have to log out and check the public number...]

Good Morning,

Your post made me wonder, and it may be that this question isn't possible to answer as so much stuff has probably been vaulted and may be lost for good.  I do remember the first few posts but cannot remember when that was!

I think all of us are a bit surprised that The Cooler has survived and been vibrant for so long.  Who would have thought?! 

Are you able to estimate how many posts and views there has been since Cooler #1 through 2,3,4,and #5 until today.  'ish?

To add my Greetings to all Coolers and may I add the wish and aspiration that any lurkers make the jump and make their first and second post and participate however rare and join in.  It is nice to have "newness" and variety of interests even if it is only idiots like me obsessed with bread and food and  trivia.

To that end may I express the hope that all contributions from anyone and everyone should continue to be made to feel welcome ( ... it should be the post not the poster that is liked) and  the hope that the Cooler never accidentally morphs into any form of cliques or partizanism and remains true to the unique and precious ethos that encouraged every participant make their very first posts and continue to always being generously spirited and  welcoming to all and everyone. 

🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Hi Lois .. long time.. hope you are still enjoying cruising..I do follow your adventures..I know you are going to try ( you have cruised other lines before) a different line .. let me know how it goes ... Been with silversea since 2005 

.,,& can't seem to break away 😞.. started cruising in 1989.. with rccl... So I'm back where I started 😂... 

Hi, hope you are doing well too. Yes, I still enjoy cruising.  Yes, I am going on Celebrity at the end of May.......will see how it goes.

Take good care.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lola

Doolally !!  My grandmother used that expression  frequently  !! 😁😁   It covers a multitude of problems  !  Haven't heard it in ages  but I am now of an age that I need to use it  !!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Morning,

Your post made me wonder, and it may be that this question isn't possible to answer as so much stuff has probably been vaulted and may be lost for good.  I do remember the first few posts but cannot remember when that was!

I think all of us are a bit surprised that The Cooler has survived and been vibrant for so long.  Who would have thought?! 

Are you able to estimate how many posts and views there has been since Cooler #1 through 2,3,4,and #5 until today.  'ish?

Jeff

Greetings to you Jeff and thanks for starting this Cooler enterprise!

I did a little sleuthing for you and was able to determine the following statistics about the five segments of the Silversea Water Cooler:

#1     5,264 posts     2013-2015

#2     5,035 posts     2015-2016

#3     5,118 posts     2016-2017

#4     5,188 posts     2017-2018

#5     20,319 posts   2018-present

When Cruise Critic was running under the old software (probably using vacuum tubes and hamsters spinner mini-generators!), threads got very unwieldy above 5,000 posts so it was necessary to cut them off and start another segment.  The new software, for all its own limitations, doesn't seem to have such upper limits so this segment will presumably go on forever.  

I added the dates to show that once the cooler caught on activity has been pretty consistent at around 5,000 posts per year, even in the latest segment and despite economic booms and busts and plagues and other disasters.  I thought that was pretty amazing!

Keep up the good work everyone!  And, as Jeff says, let's all work to keep the Cooler a welcoming happy place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2