Spring Break Help Nieuw Statendam

Jennifire7

I’m booking a cruise over spring break in March 2019 with my husband and twin 6 year olds.

We LOVE the idea of a new boat and the style of the Nieuw Statendam but our travel agent is trying to steer us away from Holland America towards a more family friendly boat option like Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.

I’m sure most parents say this, but my children are well behaved and dine in upscale restaurants regularly.

Will the kids be bored? We we be bored? (37-40 age)

We have cruised with Royal Caribbean and enjoyed it, but wanted better dining options (speciality etc) and a more classy feel.

Hope you guys can help.

My answers to your questions are based upon sailing two Disney cruises and twice aboard Koningsdam (Nieuw Statendam's sister ship).

My niece and nephew absolutely LOVED sailing on Disney. In addition, Disney has some of the best specialty restaurants. These are adults only. The kids would be in their club during your adult dinners. Investigate the Disney ship cabins as they are designed for more than two people per cabin.

NS will have Music Walk with various live music genres each night. There are kid's clubs, but I have no first hand knowledge. HAL skews older than Royal and NCL.

Keep doing your research here on CC, maybe read through some ship reviews to get an idea.

Happy Cruising!

Our son, now 16, has cruised many times with us on HAL. He always had a great time.

Spring break could very possibly see any Holland America ship doing a 7 day Caribbean itinerary crawling with kids or maybe just a dozen or so. It varies. We have had both experiences and both lots of kids and only a few have their benefits for our son's HAL experience.

HALs demographic on week long cruises in school break times skews younger than the long voyages or non school vacation times.

Club HAL staff have always been great. They have activities every evening starting after early dinner. On sea days, they have activities during just about all non meal times. They have paid after hours care as well.

Kids menu is good too and the lido and various fast options plus room service are great. We often did early lido with our son and had late open dining ourselves in the MDR while he was in the kid's club. Works well.

We love HAL for our family. Never had a bad cruise.

oh and btw... we love Disney theme parks, actually own DVC, but wouldn't step foot on one of their cruise ships. I can't do zippity doo da or bibbity bobbity boo 24/7. I'd go bonkers. :D

Edited by fatcat04

There are no water slides, ice skating rinks, meals with "characters," etc. on Holland America. If those would appeal to your children, I would strongly consider taking them on a ship that has those features. Trust your TA.

Have you also considered the ports of call and what you and the twins might enjoy ashore? While life aboard is certainly important, you'll have 4 days for them to experience a wide variety of potential activities ashore.

We are both grand parents & great grand parents & 80 past cruises with & with out children . That being said ,we would recommend a Disney cruise , although very costly or the mega cruise ships with Royal Caribbean ,like the new Symphony of the Seas or Harmony of the Seas . Many more activities for young children vs a Holland America cruise ship.

You can also look at Carnival Ships with the water slides .Their newer ships have a lot to offer a family with children

You need to do your own research of each cruise lines focus & offerings would be our bottom line recommendation