cruising to Alaska in May

gramof#7

I can't answer the weather issue, but the clothing question is always answered the same by seasoned Alaskan cruisers - layers. It could be very warm one day and dry, or it could be cold and wet, or anything in between. The way to go is with layers. There are always lengthy discussion about this on the Alaska board.

We've cruised a few times in mid to late May....and have been lucky to have had great weather. Cool weather with layers have worked best...I expect my Alaska to be cool it's not the caribbean. Many times we have actually felt too bundled up while the locals have been in shirt sleeves.

The shoulder season of May is our favorite time to cruise Alaska...Enjoy !!

One of the advantages of being in Alaska in May is that the mosquitoes have not reached the size of small birds as yet.

Check the weather (available on line) about 3 days prior to beginning the cruise, then you can pack appropriately.

Jim

Weather is unpredictable.

One year we went in May -- nothing but rain and cold temperatures. Friends of ours went the same time the following and they had sunny, beautiful weather.

Dress in layers. We take gortex jackets with zippered linings. Always pack a hat and gloves. Take small portable umbrellas. Wear water proof shoes.

We will be embarking on an Alaska Cruise in May - on Celebrity cruise line. Was wondering what the weather will be and what kind of cloths to pack.

The weather can vary and the chance of encountering genuinely cold temps is increased in May. I've sailed in July and have had to wear a winter coat on deck. Of course, it could be unseasonably warm with high temps in the 60s, with little to no rain. As other posters have recommended, definitely pack with the intent of dressing in layers, along with a waterproof shell. You will have an amazing time, whether in May or any other cruising season month. Make sure you come back and let everyone know how your trip went and share any advice you've picked up from your experience!

You will get more replies on questions about a specific destination by posting in the ports of call board for that destination. That would be the Alaska board in this case:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

There is already quite a lot of information on what to pack for Alaska in that forum. A search of the forum on "gloves" brought up several recent threads on the topic.

May this year we had lovely weather - layers worked great and the outer rain proof layer only went on at the Glacier. But the weather is not predictable and the previous week they had rain several days. I prefer a slicker with a hood rather than an umbrella which can get in everyone’s way.