"Clam Shells & Cabanas Half Moon Cay

reader5

Does anyone have photo's of the clam shells, cabana's, beach etc. on HAL's private island? Just wondering how much shade the clam shells provide. I know that the cabana's are extremelyh expensive - $200.00/person - seems ridiculous. Also, do the tenders go back and forth during the day or is there just a tender service going and coming back or does the service run for the full day. In other words, if you have had enough beach time can you get back to the ship sooner than the scheduled departure time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

There are pictures posted of the cabana's and clamshells, just do a search on this board and it should come up for you.

Yes, the tender's are kind of like a taxi service and go back and forth from the ship to the island and visa versa all day long.

Hi Reader5,

Just to let you know, a clamshell provides great shade, but also not too much of an enclosed feeling, so that you can experience being on the beautiful beach. I know some people said it got stuffy under the clamshell, but we did not experience this at all. We found it to be quite pleasant, and it was nice to have our own space in which to spread out our stuff and make it home for a day.

And interestingly enough, on another thread where they talk about Carnival stopping at HMC during the summer while HAL has pulled out, they are saying cabanas are going for $149.00.....Hmmmmmmm

Actually, the Carnival website lists the cabana rental with a $$$ symbol. The legend shows $$$ as costing between $100.00 and $149.00. Still much better than the $219 HAL customers pay.

However, there is little detail about whether all of the "perks" are there or not..."For your comfort, you will find your cabana outfitted with a refrigerator, ceiling fan, air conditioner, table and chairs inside, and deck chairs and a misting shower on the private terrace.

You will be provided with fresh fruit, vegetables with dip, and chips and salsa to snack on as well as an assortment of soft drinks and bottled water to quench your thirst. Beach towels, floating mats, and snorkel gear are also included for your use throughout the day". (HAL Shore Excursion Site)

Dave

That's interesting - How is it possible for Carnival to rent out the cabanas for less money than HAL??

Something's wrong here!!

Perhaps it's because HAL will only be using HMC during the "high season," when they can command higher prices.

That's interesting - How is it possible for Carnival to rent out the cabanas for less money than HAL??

Something's wrong here!!

They are pricing according to 'what the traffic will bear'.

They figure that they can only rent cabanas, yet can still make a profit, from the Carnival ships at the lower price, but can get all cabanas rented and more profit from HAL pax at the higher cost.

Mafig- If Carnival was pricing per person the total charge for the basic cabana for 4 would be close to $600 and that seems completely out of line for families during the summer on a Carnival ship.

We went to HMC for the first time last month. It was lovely, but I thought the cabanas were overpriced. I did not see many people enjoying them. Perhaps it's because we went after lunch and those people had already tired of being there and had gone back. I found a nice shady spot for my lounge chair without renting a clamshell. It was near one of the palapas. I also enjoyed swinging in a nearby hammock part of the afternoon. It was very relaxing after snorkeling.

The tenders ran continuously. We had to wait a bit to get one returning to the ship. There was a pretty long line, but we were on one of the last returning tenders.

For my money, I think that the $9 we paid for a clamshell was the best investment of our last visit. For snowbirds like us with white winter skin, the sun at HMC can be brutal even with lotion. The clamshell allowed us to stay pretty much all day without frying alive. I took a book and intermittently read, swam, and looked at the scenery. A clamshell will be the first item I reserve for my cruise this fall.

For my money, I think that the $9 we paid for a clamshell was the best investment of our last visit. For snowbirds like us with white winter skin, the sun at HMC can be brutal even with lotion. The clamshell allowed us to stay pretty much all day without frying alive. I took a book and intermittently read, swam, and looked at the scenery. A clamshell will be the first item I reserve for my cruise this fall.

Thanks to all for the informative responses.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Yellow Cabana 2 years ago the introductry price was $125 ( i think) last yoer we did the clams and wifey got a massage.

the yellow cabanna was at the far end and wasn't as private as i would have liked.

The clam was a better deal for me. they are right smack in the middle for great people watching and provide plenty of shade.

I'd do the clam again but the Noordam dosn't stop this time.

I would reccomend the stingray petting.

When I booked a clam shell, the time said "varied". What does this mean?

Do I have to be on HMC really early in order to get one? Since I reserved one, wouldn't they hold it until I get there? I wonder how long they would hold it for.

Thanks, if you know the answers.

Such problems!

When I booked a clam shell, the time said "varied". What does this mean?

Do I have to be on HMC really early in order to get one? Since I reserved one, wouldn't they hold it until I get there? I wonder how long they would hold it for.

Thanks, if you know the answers.

Such problems!

"Varied" means whenever you get there. They will announce on the ship when the tender service starts to the island. You are free to come and go whenever you like. Some people go in early, and some go later....perhaps just in time for the barbecue.

The clamshells are like a little canvas tent...pretty much what they call "cabanas" on some beaches. They are deep enough to slide two lounge chairs into. They are already lying around the beach in various locations, but they can't be used because there is no pole in them to hold them upright. When you arrive, you will go to the sports hut and give them your coupon or name and verify that you have ordered a clamshell. One of the people in the hut will grab a pole and walk out on the beach with you. You will choose one of the unoccupied clamshells, and he/she will put in the pole and set it up for you.

Like everything else in life, some of the clamshells are in better locations than others....and the sooner you get to the beach, the better selection of locations you will have. That doesn't mean you have to be on the first tender, but if the tenders start running at 9:00 am, and you don't go in until 11:00 or 11:30 am, you can pretty well figure that you will have to take a clamshell farther down the beach. Maybe you'd prefer that, but if you'd prefer to be in the main beach area, you might want to go in a little earlier.

The same thing holds true if there's another ship on the island that day...which happened to us on one occasion. In that case, each ship sells half the clamshells, and the beach gets crowded quickly. I'm sure that whatever time you go, there will be a clamshell available for you, but you may not have as much choice of locations. There is also the possibility that all of the clamshells won't be sold, but most seemed to be in use on my last couple of trips.

Just thinking of sitting in a clamshell on Half Moon Cay has me smiling!

Thank you Tricia724 for such a detailed answer.

I don't have any questions in my mind now.

Yes, it does put a smile on ones face to just think of sitting in a clam shell on HMC. I can see the ship in the background.........

Archived