Evening casual

Dexter168

We are off on our first P and O cruise in less than 3 weeks and I am starting to think about clothing and packing. I know that P and O will be more formal than our previous cruises on Celebrity, but we enjoy dressing up so are looking forward to Formal Nights.

Evening casual is the one that confuses me, what do you ladies wear, day dresses, maxi dresses or even cocktail with a bit of lace and sparkle.

I'm not a trouser and blouse sort of person on holiday, reminds me to much of my work uniform.

So I would love to know what you wear on casual nights with photos if possible.

Thanks in advance.

We are off on our first P and O cruise in less than 3 weeks and I am starting to think about clothing and packing. I know that P and O will be more formal than our previous cruises on Celebrity, but we enjoy dressing up so are looking forward to Formal Nights.

Evening casual is the one that confuses me, what do you ladies wear, day dresses, maxi dresses or even cocktail with a bit of lace and sparkle.

I'm not a trouser and blouse sort of person on holiday, reminds me to much of my work uniform.

So I would love to know what you wear on casual nights with photos if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Been on Celebrity and P&O. To my mind Celebrity is more formal. Though it was over five years since.

I wear cocktail dress with bling and sparkle on formal nights.

Smart casual is usually smart trousers with a sparkly/and or floaty top.

I love the opportunity to dress up and often wear a cocktail dress on the casual nights. I also have a couple of really dressy trouser suits that I wear on casual nights. I am always overdressed, but as I said, I just love the opportunity to dress up! I always wear a long dress for the formal nights.

Haven't got any photos - sorry.

Michele

Wear what you’d wear for a night in a nice restaurant at home. If you don’t do trousers then maxi dresses or nice tops and skirts perhaps? White linen trousers are popular on warm weather cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your advice. I have a wardrobe full of dresses and I love dressing up for a night out, but as this is a fly/cruise I don't want to take too many just in case clothes.

I don't mind being overdressed a bit, but would hate to be underdressed.

Last time we on Celebrity (2016) they had just gone Chic, so I am looking forward to Formal.

I like to dress up too and I go on my cruise in just over two weeks so I've got my list ready! I'll taking shift-style dresses, a jump suit and a couple of pairs of light trousers with dressy tops for smart casual. I'd rather be over-dressed than underdressed and it makes a difference to my enjoyment of the cruise.

FWIW I’m no fashion expert but my wife loves dressing up and I enjoy being forced to “up my game” accordingly. We never felt overdressed once on our recent Oceana cruise. On non black tie nights she usually wore long dresses but the odd short on was thrown in, I usually wore a tailored jacket and trousers. Whilst dressing up every night is something many won’t do there will be enough people doing it you won’t stick out like a sore thumb. But if you don’t want to dress up the same applies, safety in numbers means you’ll be ok either way for the nights you want to chill out

For formals I still take at least 2 long pretty pretty dresses with sparkle (2 week cruise) maybe 2 short pretty pretty for the other 2 formal. Smart casual.. I have got a pile of dresses now. All short, do not crease..so will probably wear them and maybe chiffon trousers with flowy top if I cant decide what to wear. Mind you we always go from Southampton as we don't fly now, and don't go on the big ships..Arcadia and Aurora are our ones of choice. To some I think they see casual rather than smart..but hey ho..I will go my own little way and they can go theirs.

I love the opportunity to dress up and often wear a cocktail dress on the casual nights. I also have a couple of really dressy trouser suits that I wear on casual nights. I am always overdressed, but as I said, I just love the opportunity to dress up! I always wear a long dress for the formal nights.

Haven't got any photos - sorry.

Michele

IMHO there is no such thing as overdressed, this is one reason that I like sailing from Southampton.:D:D:D

This may be rather a sweeping statement but I find the women are usually more dressed up than the men on Evening Casual - yes there are exceptions and some men do wear jackets on those evenings. I have followed couples down to dinner and seen the woman really dressed up - some cocktail dresses, some glitzy tops with skirts or trousers while the man, quite correctly according to the dress code, wears chinos and a short sleeved shirt - usually outside the trousers. It just seems odd to me, somehow the two don't seem to go together, but maybe that's just me - just my opinion anyway.

This may be rather a sweeping statement but I find the women are usually more dressed up than the men on Evening Casual - yes there are exceptions and some men do wear jackets on those evenings. I have followed couples down to dinner and seen the woman really dressed up - some cocktail dresses, some glitzy tops with skirts or trousers while the man, quite correctly according to the dress code, wears chinos and a short sleeved shirt - usually outside the trousers. It just seems odd to me, somehow the two don't seem to go together, but maybe that's just me - just my opinion anyway.

That's normal behaviour. Pop your head round the door of any pub, bar or club, or just walk down any city centre street in the evening. The women will be dressed up to nines, the men will be in t shirt and jeans (or the minimum dress code will allow).

I dress up every night on P & O. I don’t care if others don’t but there are lots more that do. Cruising for me is being able to dress for dinner on casual nights and Formal nights. If on the rare occasion I decide not to dress up then there is the buffet but I would probably opt for dinner on our bakciny.

Maxi cotton dresses are great....you can wear them casual or dress up with jewellery etc. We’ve been cruising 40 years and have seen a huge change in what the ladies wear.....but it’s the men who complain when it’s very hot and they are in their tuxedos and bow ties....can’t really blame them though. At least Carnival have banned football shirts!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maxi cotton dresses are great....you can wear them casual or dress up with jewellery etc. We’ve been cruising 40 years and have seen a huge change in what the ladies wear.....but it’s the men who complain when it’s very hot and they are in their tuxedos and bow ties....can’t really blame them though. At least Carnival have banned football shirts!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I envy the men in their tuxes. They don't need to decide what to wear. And as for push up underwired bras, and spandex and heels. They don't know their born. I got no sympathy for them. And when sitting under an air vent with bare shoulders....

I envy the men in their tuxes. They don't need to decide what to wear. And as for push up underwired bras, and spandex and heels. They don't know their born. I got no sympathy for them. And when sitting under an air vent with bare shoulders....

Too true, but I love dressing up for a night out, now all I have to do is try and sort out shoes.

As its a fly/cruise I'll have to try and cut down:)