Manhattan Cruise Port Terminal to EWR with an octagenarian

FitchburgWIFamily

Hello,

We are coming in on NCL Gem on a Friday morning. My husband, myself and my mother are flying out of EWR at 3:00 p.m.

We could go straight to the airport...I think our cruise line has a shuttle to EWR...but we would be spending a lot time in the airport. But I have my mom and my luggage to think about, too. Mom is 88, and uses a walker to get around. She is mobile at a slow pace.

We'll have priority disembarkation...so I was thinking of taking a cab from the cruise terminal to midtown for a little sightseeing: maybe the Bryant Park/NY Library/Grand Central Station area (so mom can get her oysters) and then head to the airport. Oyster Bar opens at 11:30, so we would head out as soon as mom downed her dozen raw.

- So...am I biting off way more than I should?

- Am I leaving enough time to get to EWR from midtown?

- Is there a place we can check our bags at Grand Central?

- If not, has anyone used a luggage storage place? There is a Vertoe luggage storage place close to Bryant Park that is only $6.00 a bag.

- I have found a bus that goes to EWR (Newark Airport Express). Has anyone had any experience with this shuttle? How reliable is it?

- Does the shuttle take us to where we need to go to check in get rid of our luggage? Or do we need to take something else to get around the airport?

The latest is leave NYC to get to the airport would be noon, especially on a Friday. I don’t think you have time.

I've taken that bus once, and was worried the entire time sitting in traffic and won't do it again. It was close seeing the TSA line, but I had PreCheck so got to the plane.

It also goes to each terminal in alphabetic order and of course, I was on United and terminal C. If I fly out of EWR it is NJT and AirTrain from Manhattan or my SIL from Staten Island ;)

Storage of your luggage post-disembarkation is OP's major challenge, alternate suggestion (often mentioned here) is to use Schwartz Luggage @ W. 37th Street, no reservations necessary & reasonable charges, it's near 8th Avenue, close to the Port Authority Bus Terminal & also PATH commuter line & NY Penn Station for NJT trains and Amtrak, for those without mobility challenge. Or, when ready to leae for the airport, whether it's EWR, JFK or even LGA - call & request a pickup in front of Schwartz by 1 of 2 major Tri-State car service, Dial 7 or Carmel.

Nowadays, I would allow extra time to get to/from EWR via the nearby Lincoln Tunnel due to a multi-year long-term construction/roadway, @NJHorsemen has posted a 411 sticky alert about this, just in case - "Notify NYC" has issued alerts about its impact within NYC, including crosstown traffic in the midtown area - for a 3 PM EWR departure, I would leave no later than 11:30 AM just to be safe - as it is a weekday & traffic can be very unpredictable.

A walk thru Bryant Park & Grand Central Station & Oyster Bar would be out of the question on the basis of timing alone. However, I suggest doing the HighLine @ Chelsea Market (indoor food court, market & shops) for fresh seafood, and they serve oysters - it open early, 7 AM. Once disembarked from the ship & dropped off luggage, take a quick taxi ride (or car service/ride-sharing) to CM and explore, then, return to pickup luggage at Schwartz - and ride out to the airport.

It's a somewhat expensive way to eat fresh oysters, IMHO - how about getting out to EWR, and do a nice & long Sunday brunch at the EWR Airport Marriott, with free shuttle services to/from the terminals, checked the luggage first & leave it with the hotel's bellhop ... legs of the 88 y.o. with mobility issues would probably like this better.

With the mobility issues and the short amount of time avail for NYC....I would prob just be one of the last ones off the ship. Enjoy a "leasuerly" breakfast then head to the airport. If your flight was 8-9pm or so then, yeah hit the city for a few hours. But you really only have a couple hrs before you should be at the airport. Travel to NJ and security at EWR can be a mess on the best of days.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

New plan: hire car to take us out to EWR in the morning. (should be a little faster than the ships transfer, and for three of us, not really that much more expensive). We'll check in and check our luggage in with airline. Then we'll had down to ground transportation and get an Uber or a Cab to Thomas Edison National Historic Park. We should be able to spend a few hours there before we have to Uber/Cab back to the airport in time to go through security.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

New plan: hire car to take us out to EWR in the morning. (should be a little faster than the ships transfer, and for three of us, not really that much more expensive). We'll check in and check our luggage in with airline. Then we'll had down to ground transportation and get an Uber or a Cab to Thomas Edison National Historic Park. We should be able to spend a few hours there before we have to Uber/Cab back to the airport in time to go through security.

It's common for airlines to have an earliest check in time for your luggage of 3 to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure. You should check with your airline to see what their policy is. It may mean your plans won't be viable.