Voyager impacts pier departing Civitavecchia/Rome

slidebite

People take delays and missed ports differently. It is definitely a nuisance. I was just thinking about it and, in addition to needing professionals to access the damage and likely having Regent's insurance company look at it, there may have been someone looking at the dock to see if there was damage that Regent would need to be charged for.

These types of things rarely happen but when it does happen, there are procedures that must be adhered to and it is not simply up to the Captain to proceed with the cruise.

Most of us that cruise pretty much expect missed ports for various reasons. It is definitely disappointing but it is a risk that we take when we take a ship rather than flying to a destination.

Which is true? Is the harbor pilot in control of the ship or the captain? That's the question many of us had.

We were in the Observation lounge when it happened and to be honest couldn't believe what we were witnessing.

Of course we were disappointed in missing Sorento (which was the top of my list on this cruise). However to be honest I felt more comfortable knowing they were taking time with the proper inspections.

The service staff did an amazing job trying to keep everyone happy.

Which is true? Is the harbor pilot in control of the ship or the captain? That's the question many of us had.

We were in the Observation lounge when it happened and to be honest couldn't believe what we were witnessing.

Of course we were disappointed in missing Sorento (which was the top of my list on this cruise). However to be honest I felt more comfortable knowing they were taking time with the proper inspections.

The service staff did an amazing job trying to keep everyone happy.

You asked a good question - wish I had an answer. If you have time and don't mind, could you explain to us what you witnessed from the Observation lounge? I'm very interested. Thank you!

On a recent cruise, we had a tour of the bridge, and spoke with the captain about the very topic of the role of the pilot. He stated that the captain is always in charge of the ship, and the pilot is there for navigational assistance.

You asked a good question - wish I had an answer. If you have time and don't mind, could you explain to us what you witnessed from the Observation lounge? I'm very interested. Thank you!

We dressed and decided to go to the Observation lounge prior to dinner.

There were three very large cruise ships ahead of us. Two were tied up and one was departing. The departing ship was having difficulties and was backed partially back in and then finally was able to make it out. The next two ships departed and then it was our turn.

As we were making our way out things seemed normal at first with the tug pulling us against the crosswinds. Then we started to notice the forward part of the ship seemed to be drifting to the left and back toward the dock. The closer and closer we got to the dock the more concerned we all became. Then it seemed like we were correcting back out when there was a big bang (when hit aft). Then the forward part of the ship was once again headed toward the dock where we bumped and then started to slide. The scariest part was seeing the end of the dock with fenders and seeing bare concrete. Had we not stopped about 200 yards short of that it probably would have been much worse.

The winds in our cruise were very strong and even some of the staff mentioned it.

On a recent cruise, we had a tour of the bridge, and spoke with the captain about the very topic of the role of the pilot. He stated that the captain is always in charge of the ship, and the pilot is there for navigational assistance.

What if the pilot is the one the says it's time to drop the tug lines and something like this happens. I understand things happened and just curious what if anything happens to the captain or pilot

Which is true? Is the harbor pilot in control of the ship or the captain? That's the question many of us had.................

As to the actual docking and un-docking, this is always under control of the ship personal, so the Captain is always in charge. The Captain is charged with knowing and judging both the handling characteristics of HIS ship and the weather, winds, tides and currents and how they all interact to affect the safety of the ship.

J

There were three very large cruise ships ahead of us. Two were tied up and one was departing. The departing ship was having difficulties and was backed partially back in and then finally was able to make it out. The next two ships departed and then it was our turn.

As we were making our way out things seemed normal at first with the tug pulling us against the crosswinds. Then we started to notice the forward part of the ship seemed to be drifting to the left and back toward the dock. The closer and closer we got to the dock the more concerned we all became. Then it seemed like we were correcting back out when there was a big bang (when hit aft). Then the forward part of the ship was once again headed toward the dock where we bumped and then started to slide. The scariest part was seeing the end of the dock with fenders and seeing bare concrete. Had we not stopped about 200 yards short of that it probably would have been much worse.

The winds in our cruise were very strong and even some of the staff mentioned it.

Thanks so much for the explanation. So glad that the ship did not hit the bare concrete!

Our cruise ended today.

In the end we had a great trip. The ship is a bit older, but in great shape. The staff and crew were amazing. And we met some fantastic folks. In fact several of us are going to meet up for a final cocktail tomorrow.

Reminds me of Adak Alaska. I was throttleman down in the engine room and the wind was pushing against the pier so bad that we were shaving the wood off. We had to get underway, so that CO ordered us to light the turbines to get us off the pier. I had the honor of throttling those babies! [emoji16]. We made it off the pier, and headed back to our patrol. Btw: Adak was a lousy mid-patrol break.

Reminds me of Adak Alaska. I was throttleman down in the engine room and the wind was pushing against the pier so bad that we were shaving the wood off. We had to get underway, so that CO ordered us to light the turbines to get us off the pier. I had the honor of throttling those babies! [emoji16]. We made it off the pier, and headed back to our patrol. Btw: Adak was a lousy mid-patrol break.

Off the subject question, but were you in the Coast Guard?

I was a Coastie Pilot, 12 years Active, 8 Reserve. Semper Paratus! :)

So cool to meet a fellow Coastie on the boards!

Me- Class of 94, active 94-99 on CHASE (student engineer), HDQ, then PACAREA. I really wanted to be any pilot (helo or fixed wing), but I wouldn’t had made the minimum requirements for eye vision.

You guys did/still do some really dangerous stuff, but I know that flying is a passion. Don’t you wish you could land and tie down your helo on one of these ships? [emoji16]

So cool to meet a fellow Coastie on the boards!

Me- Class of 94, active 94-99 on CHASE (student engineer), HDQ, then PACAREA. I really wanted to be any pilot (helo or fixed wing), but I wouldn’t had made the minimum requirements for eye vision.

You guys did/still do some really dangerous stuff, but I know that flying is a passion. Don’t you wish you could land and tie down your helo on one of these ships? [emoji16]

Won't keep off the subject of the post any longer. Good to meet a fellow Coastie too. I was OCS '76, flew fixed wing, HC-131A's (Convair 240's) at Corpus Christi, T-34's at Whiting as an Instructor attached to the Navy, and HU-25's (Falcons) in San Diego, then made the huge leap to the airlines for 28 years, but did retire from the reserves.

If we ever sail together, we'll have to swap "sea stories." :cool:

Edited by papaflamingo

All in all we too had a good time. I concur about the condition of the ship. It was basically spotless and the crew was excellent. Definitely had a couple of crew members which became favorites and noticed pretty much every crew member going out of their way to greet and smile... even more so than previously. Food was great with only a couple of exceptions which were still good, just not great. Biggest culinary disappointment for me was probably Chartreuse. It was certainly good, staff worked very hard, but I probably would have preferred Compass Rose in hindsight. Glad we did it though.

In general the itinerary in general was really good and but the biggest disappointment was missing Capri/Pompeii. The collision certainly made it more memorable though LOL! I wish I took another pic of the damage in Koper to see the "repairs" they did.

Please don't put words in my mouth....i never said the cruise was a disaster and I been to Pompeii, Capri and Sorrento many times. It's a shame that you were unable to visit these wonderful places. You could have gone if the situaion was properly handled. Was I disappointed...not really, but I respect the truth and that was lacking many times on this voyage. Looking forward to Venice tomorrow and our next cruise to Australia and New Zealand...,.on Silversea.

Respectfully, I didn't put words in your mouth in the slightest. Re-read my post, I never said you said it was a disaster. I said some may have thought it was. All I said about you specifically was:

Awful for you or a big disappointment? could be, but I would not be so presumptuous as to speak for you or say you are saying "half truths" - whatever that's supposed to mean.

That said, I agree with you it was disappointing missing the ports, but at the end of the day it was what it was. I wish the communication was a bit better especially on the night of the incident. It wasn't that late to do a general announcement, they wouldn't have had to broadcast it in the cabins anyhow.

It was sort of nice seeing Catania though, especially considering the horrific storms they had just a few days after our visit! Hard to believe so many parts of that city would shortly be under water!

In general the itinerary in general was really good and but the biggest disappointment was missing Capri/Pompeii. The collision certainly made it more memorable though LOL! I wish I took another pic of the damage in Koper to see the "repairs" they did.

While in Koper my husband and I walked back to try to take pictures and were told not to go past the temporary fence. They had put a sort of cover over it as they did repairs. The hubby did take a couple pictures of them doing the work and the entire side that had marks and gashes. When we got off the ship in Venice it looked like they had painted the dent.

To be honest I think they should have allowed us to see it and take pictures. It's a once in a lifetime (hopefully) story that we all had to tell. I always believe in making the best and fun out of a situation. I would have loved to sign the dent and say I was there when it happened. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write a well balanced review of the Voyager. It was particularly interesting that you are a Celebrity customer since we just took our first Celebrity cruise last month (enjoyed it but it cannot match up to Regent.)

Sorry to read that you had difficulty getting dining reservations at your preferred time. Even though we can book early, I went online to book about 8 hours after reservations opened and had difficulty getting the time that we we wanted. Perhaps Regent should go back to the way it was for years ........ first come - first served.

Do hope that you sail on Regent again — perhaps you’ll try the Explorer- she is an amazing ship!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Voyager from Athens to Athens. had a terrific time and will write a review soon. "Bondo" didn't work; she isn't as "good as new". Cosmetic repair was made but Voyager still shows (for about 5 feet by 15 feet on port aft) the damage; repair seems to be flaking off.  Lots of other "scuff marks. She seemed to me to be pristine inside our cabin and the public areas - even though I didn't help when I dropped a glass of tomato juice (more on that later).