P&O announce new name for Golden Princess

Nice choice.

How many will that make in the P&O fleet now?

It's kind of a weird staggered approach.

Right now the fleet is 5: Aria, Eden, Jewel, Explorer, Dawn

Jewel departs Feb 2019. Eden departs Mar 2019. Adventure (nee Golden) arrives Oct 2020. Pacfic Something (nee Star) arrives late 2021.

So....

Between now - Feb 2019: 5 ships

Between Feb 2019 - Mar 2019: 4 ships

Between Mar 2019 - Oct 2020: 3 ships (17-18 months!!)

Between Oct 2020 - Late 2021: 4 ships

From late 2021: 5 ships

Though obviously anything can and will change between now and then :D

Rather interesting to see Golden Princess going to P & O. We did South America (LA to BA) a couple of years ago on Golden Princess and it was interesting to see that on the bow of the ship it was once a P & O ship anyway.

Rather interesting to see Golden Princess going to P & O. We did South America (LA to BA) a couple of years ago on Golden Princess and it was interesting to see that on the bow of the ship it was once a P & O ship anyway.
It was never a P&O ship that rising sun emblem on the bow was the P&O/Princess one when the company was P&O/Princess.

We did Golden from BA to LA in Feb/March 2014. Good cruise.:hearteyes:

Anyway back to topic, I like Pacific Discovery and Pacific Adventure. Having two Grand Class ships in the P&O Australia fleet will add a lot of passenger capacity, they carry about 2600 pax.

It was never a P&O ship that rising sun emblem on the bow was the P&O/Princess one when the company was P&O/Princess.

We did Golden from BA to LA in Feb/March 2014. Good cruise.:hearteyes:

Anyway back to topic, I like Pacific Discovery and Pacific Adventure. Having two Grand Class ships in the P&O Australia fleet will add a lot of passenger capacity, they carry about 2600 pax.

They are claiming 3,100 passengers as will have 5 berth cabins as well, we have been on her and going again next year, she is a lovely ship along with Sapphire and Diamond.

Interestingly the introduction of these larger ships that will not fit under the Harbour Bridge ( and the demise of the smaller vessels ) to and from the P&O fleet means that White ( Elephant) Bay becomes even more under-utilised and the OPT becomes even more in demand assuming of course they will be operating out of Sydney on a regular basis. The way our pollies and bureaucracy operate I cannot see an early " second option" materialising any time soon .

Interestingly the introduction of these larger ships that will not fit under the Harbour Bridge ( and the demise of the smaller vessels ) to and from the P&O fleet means that White ( Elephant) Bay becomes even more under-utilised and the OPT becomes even more in demand assuming of course they will be operating out of Sydney on a regular basis. The way our pollies and bureaucracy operate I cannot see an early " second option" materialising any time soon .

The arrival of Pacific Adventure to P&O should pretty much coincide with the opening of the Luggage Point cruise terminal. It's hard to see that Carnival Corp would go to all the trouble of building a bigger and better terminal, just to base the Dawn or the Aria there. I heard that once Luggage Point is up and running, Portside will only be allowing boutique ships to dock, like Azamara. The majors will all go to the new facility.

I can't see them basing both of the new ships out of the OPT. However there will be three major deep water city ports available by the end of 2020. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. The Golden is largely working out of Melbourne now.

Edited by SinbadThePorter