9 night Explorer of the Seas vs 8 night Adventure of the Seas

Which cruise would you pick for our honeymoon?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would you pick for our honeymoon?

• 8 night ABC islands and 4 sea days on Adventure of the Seas starting on 1/4/20
    • 9 night ABC islands, Labadee and 4 sea days on Explorer of the Seas starting on 12/27/19

Hi all,

First of all thank you so much for this board as it has been so incredibly helpful! So much so that my fiance and I thought we were decided on our honeymoon cruise for the 8 night Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas on 1/4/20, including 4 sea days and the ABC islands. Now we are considering adding a night to also get a day on Labadee, which would mean the 9 night on Explorer of the Seas leaving 12/27/19.

I would love your thoughts on the differences in the boats (in my research they seem very similar) and if adding Labadee is worth it.

Thank you so very much!

In order to determine "worth it", it would be nice to know the cost difference. In other words, if the extra day costs $10 total, then I'd go for it. On the other hand, if the extra day costs $5000, I'd probably skip it.

Hi all,

First of all thank you so much for this board as it has been so incredibly helpful! So much so that my fiance and I thought we were decided on our honeymoon cruise for the 8 night Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas on 1/4/20, including 4 sea days and the ABC islands. Now we are considering adding a night to also get a day on Labadee, which would mean the 9 night on Explorer of the Seas leaving 12/27/19.

I would love your thoughts on the differences in the boats (in my research they seem very similar) and if adding Labadee is worth it.

Thank you so very much!

Depends on the price and for us where we're flying from. We like and have been on both ships. We would go with the Explorer for 9 nights if the price is within a couple hundred dollars between the two cruises. Can't go wrong with one more port and one more night. Welcome to CC.

Edited by davekathy

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for your quick response! The cost looks to be ~$450. Do you have experiences on both boats in that you could offer any suggestions? I have read Explorer is due for a dry dock in 2020 and Adventure not until 2021, but don't know enough whether that should weigh into our decision. We are looking at a Jr Suite for either cruise.

Thank you!

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for your quick response! The cost looks to be ~$450. Do you have experiences on both boats in that you could offer any suggestions? I have read Explorer is due for a dry dock in 2020 and Adventure not until 2021, but don't know enough whether that should weigh into our decision. We are looking at a Jr Suite for either cruise.

Thank you!

The ships are very close now. They both have the flowrider. Adventure has been updated more recently, so there are adult water slides now.

Hi all,

Thank you so very much!

I voted for Adventure. I've been on EX 3 times in the last 3 years and the ship to me is looking more tired than most I have been on recently. The off pink/rose hallways, walls, doors makes me feel like I'm in grandma's house... did not feel like that on AD even though I sailed just before drydock. The artwork in the main Centrum and other things about the ship don't sit well with me either. Not sure if it was the Australian sailings, Trans Pacifics, etc but the ship itself looks to be very "well lived in"... lots and lots of bumps on the walls, chipped paint, chairs in the dining room chipped and used looking. I also don't like the Windjammer layout in Explorer... much inferior to Adventure in only my humble opinion. Giovanni's on EX is where the old nightclub was... zero windows. Giovanni's on AD is on deck 11, bright and open. EX has "The Tavern" Bar on deck 4 (sports bar with TVs), AD has Boleros with more nightly music. EX is my least fave Voyager Class ship.

Recently I've been on Harmony, Brilliance, Jewel... Harmony new and the other two gone through dry-dock and everything was beautiful, so maybe I'm now off with expectations. I would say if the price is pretty cheap per person for the extra day, then yes go on EX, ...

for $450 both of you is the difference? So $225 per person for one day in Labadee?? Too much difference...Adventure still gets my vote.

Just my 2 cents :)

Both are incredible itineraries. All else equal I would easily choose the 9 night for the additional $450.

However, there are a few things to consider.

The Jan 4th cruise will probably have less kids do to running into the school schedules.

We also love Labadee, one of most relaxing ports you can be at... Like pulling up to your own piece of non commercialized paradise with lunch served for you by the beach.

The ONLY downside to me is if the Explorer doesn't have some of the latest additions as the Adventure, but they look pretty dang similar to me.

Both are the same class ship (a class that we personally love)

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher