Platinum Carnival goes Norwegian and has questions! Hoping for an EPIC cruise!

summercruisin'

Hi everyone!

I just booked a European cruise this summer on the Epic (to celebrate my son's graduation) and have a few questions. This is my 18th cruise, so I am a seasoned cruiser, but I typically sail Carnival and have never tried NCL. I know I will have lots of questions over the next few months, but for now, here we go.....

1. What is the muster drill like on the Epic leaving from Rome (midweek)? My DS has Autism and a sensory processing disorder, so he cannot easily tolerate a drill out on the open decks mashed up against others. If the drill is typically in an area where he can be with his own space, he will manage much better. With Carnival, I request an alternate drill for those that are still held on the decks, but he tolerates those in the dining rooms and theater just fine. Trying to figure out if I should request an alternate drill or not.

2. I got the ultimate beverage package as a "perk," and it looks like NCL charges everyone who brings wine onboard a corkage fee. Is that accurate? If so, I am assuming I shouldn't bother bringing wine?

3. Does the curtain near the shower area close off the whole area or just the shower? I know, crazy thing to worry about, but we are traveling with a 17 year old boy and an 12 year old girl who will want privacy (along with mom and dad). Is there enough room "closed off" to undress and get in the shower?

4. On that note, are there showers in the gym/spa that can be used by everyone? On Carnival, there are, and they are bigger than those in the cabin bathrooms anyway, so we have used them in the past to manage multiple showers at one time.

5. In the main dining rooms, can I order multiple appetizers without being frowned upon? Sometimes I order 2 apps to try different things (especially if I want a salad and a traditional app) or I order 3 and skip the main entree.

6. Are there cheese plates in the main dining rooms, and can they be taken to go? Can other desserts be taken to-go? One of my favorite things is to get a to-go cheese plate on CCL and have a late night snack with wine.

7. What are the can't miss shows/demos/fun things on NCL?

8. Are there poolside movies?

9. Can I access the menus ahead of time so I can decide what nights I should go to the specialty dinner places?

10. Is there a chef's table?

11. What are some tips/tricks you know about the Epic that I should know? :D:D

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can offer! Not only is this my first NCL cruise, it is also my first European one, so I am excited and nervous all at the same time, trying to make sure it is all just perfect :)

Hi everyone!

I just booked a European cruise this summer on the Epic (to celebrate my son's graduation) and have a few questions. This is my 18th cruise' date=' so I am a seasoned cruiser, but I typically sail Carnival and have never tried NCL. I know I will have lots of questions over the next few months, but for now, here we go.....

1. What is the muster drill like on the Epic leaving from Rome (midweek)? My DS has Autism and a sensory processing disorder, so he cannot easily tolerate a drill out on the open decks mashed up against others. If the drill is typically in an area where he can be with his own space, he will manage much better. With Carnival, I request an alternate drill for those that are still held on the decks, but he tolerates those in the dining rooms and theater just fine. Trying to figure out if I should request an alternate drill or not.

Muster areas are all inside. They read the safety script and demo putting on a life vest. Announcements start 30 minutes before drill. Go immediately and get a seat so there is no mashing. Don’t wait until drill time.

2. I got the ultimate beverage package as a "perk," and it looks like NCL charges everyone who brings wine onboard a corkage fee. Is that accurate? If so, I am assuming I shouldn't bother bringing wine?

Corkage on ALL wine brought onboard. Just get a couple of glasses at a time from any bar.

3. Does the curtain near the shower area close off the whole area or just the shower? I know, crazy thing to worry about, but we are traveling with a 17 year old boy and an 12 year old girl who will want privacy (along with mom and dad). Is there enough room "closed off" to undress and get in the shower?

It totally closes the space between the toilet and shower from the bedroom.

4. On that note, are there showers in the gym/spa that can be used by everyone? On Carnival, there are, and they are bigger than those in the cabin bathrooms anyway, so we have used them in the past to manage multiple showers at one time.

There are public toilets in public areas. No public showers. Showers are in the spa, but require that you have a thermal suite pass and are not good for early port days.

5. In the main dining rooms, can I order multiple appetizers without being frowned upon? Sometimes I order 2 apps to try different things (especially if I want a salad and a traditional app) or I order 3 and skip the main entree.

You can order anything you want. One of each appetizer if you choose.

6. Are there cheese plates in the main dining rooms, and can they be taken to go? Can other desserts be taken to-go? One of my favorite things is to get a to-go cheese plate on CCL and have a late night snack with wine.

You can ask. Easier to do a quick buffet run and load up a plate.

7. What are the can't miss shows/demos/fun things on NCL?

The Escape Room is fun if you are good at puzzles. Teams of 8-10 people try to solve puzzles to get out. The Cirque show (extra cost) is fun.

8. Are there poolside movies?

Movies at spice H20 on some nights. No big screen at the pool.

9. Can I access the menus ahead of time so I can decide what nights I should go to the specialty dinner places?

No

10. Is there a chef's table?

No

11. What are some tips/tricks you know about the Epic that I should know? :D:D

Book your entertainment and dinners exactly 120 days prior to cruise. If you go to the Cirque, at least one person should be in line at least 1 hour before show time and everyone in line 30 minutes before show time when the doors open and the hostess seats you

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can offer! Not only is this my first NCL cruise, it is also my first European one, so I am excited and nervous all at the same time, trying to make sure it is all just perfect :)

Have a great cruise! We’ve been on the Epic 6 times, twice in the Med.

I'm guessing that Epic's "unique" toilet/shower setup has been discussed with the family?

Ha! Nope! Funny you should mention it......I have been struggling with whether to let them know or let it be a surprise ;p. Really only the DH will be difficult, since there is a curtain providing some space. The kids usually are flexible travelers (except for situations like muster drills on decks where strangers, some of whom have already had a few drinks, are standing very close and bumping up against DS). The kids and I will actually be traveling without DH through Germany, as well as parts of France, Switzerland, and Italy before the cruise, so they will be okay with some unexpected accommodations :D

The muster drills are always crowded inside or out. I would go to the customer service desk the first day and discuss things with them. There are always a handful of people who miss muster and have to attend the make up. You might want to make arrangements to simply be at the make up in the first place.

The muster drills are always crowded inside or out. I would go to the customer service desk the first day and discuss things with them. There are always a handful of people who miss muster and have to attend the make up. You might want to make arrangements to simply be at the make up in the first place.

Thanks! If he can just have a hula-hoop size space around him without someone bumping into him, he will be fine. He just can't stand the drills Carnival does out on the decks, where they crowd everyone in, making them stand touching one another pretty much from all sides with the sun bearing down and taking forever to go through the info. Too much sensory overload that he can't escape. I may check into the make up just in case.

Hi everyone!

I just booked a European cruise this summer on the Epic (to celebrate my son's graduation) and have a few questions. This is my 18th cruise' date=' so I am a seasoned cruiser, but I typically sail Carnival and have never tried NCL. I know I will have lots of questions over the next few months, but for now, here we go.....

1. What is the muster drill like on the Epic leaving from Rome (midweek)? My DS has Autism and a sensory processing disorder, so he cannot easily tolerate a drill out on the open decks mashed up against others. If the drill is typically in an area where he can be with his own space, he will manage much better. With Carnival, I request an alternate drill for those that are still held on the decks, but he tolerates those in the dining rooms and theater just fine. Trying to figure out if I should request an alternate drill or [/quote']

Welcome to NCL... While I haven’t sailed on Carnival in quite a while, I think you will enjoy sailing NCL. I encourage you to give the Special Needs Dept a call to discuss any concerns and accommodations you may have. They were very helpful with me and my Mom. The below excerpt is from their page...

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Cognitive, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

Guests with cognitive, intellectual and development disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease are encouraged to contact the Access Desk to discuss your cruise. Upon request, every effort will be made to meet your cruising special requirements, including:

• Boarding and disembarkation assistance

The ship is huge and we enjoyed it twice, once in Europe. teered2cruise gave the best advice of https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising. This will allow you to ask questions and also get accommodations as needed. The corkage fee is $15 for wine and if it would make it easier for you I would take a bottle or two. My DD and I used to take 4-days on Carnival and I always took two bottles which were nice to enjoy back in the cabin. I also took bottles on NCL's POA since there is no beverage package. We only saw one music based show and Cirque which are both good. I know you will have a great cruise with your family.

Thanks! If he can just have a hula-hoop size space around him without someone bumping into him' date=' he will be fine. He just can't stand the drills Carnival does out on the decks, where they crowd everyone in, making them stand touching one another pretty much from all sides with the sun bearing down and taking forever to go through the info. Too much sensory overload that he can't escape. I may check into the make up just in case.[/quote']

At the main muster drill it is usually the case that you will NOT have much space around you at all. I've been outside, in dining facilities, in the atrium ,and in the theater for drills. All weer pretty crowded with no chance of space like you describe. Id go with the make up drill and talk to CS ahead of time about it.

our muster drill was in the theater - everyone has a seat there... but get there early so you have time to get to a seat without a crowd

At the main muster drill it is usually the case that you will NOT have much space around you at all. I've been outside, in dining facilities, in the atrium ,and in the theater for drills. All weer pretty crowded with no chance of space like you describe. Id go with the make up drill and talk to CS ahead of time about it.

Lots of good info! Thanks!

Welcome to NCL... While I haven’t sailed on Carnival in quite a while, I think you will enjoy sailing NCL. I encourage you to give the Special Needs Dept a call to discuss any concerns and accommodations you may have. They were very helpful with me and my Mom. The below excerpt is from their page...

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Cognitive, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

Guests with cognitive, intellectual and development disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease are encouraged to contact the Access Desk to discuss your cruise. Upon request, every effort will be made to meet your cruising special requirements, including:

• Boarding and disembarkation assistance

The ship is huge and we enjoyed it twice, once in Europe. teered2cruise gave the best advice of https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising. This will allow you to ask questions and also get accommodations as needed. The corkage fee is $15 for wine and if it would make it easier for you I would take a bottle or two. My DD and I used to take 4-days on Carnival and I always took two bottles which were nice to enjoy back in the cabin. I also took bottles on NCL's POA since there is no beverage package. We only saw one music based show and Cirque which are both good. I know you will have a great cruise with your family.

Thanks so much! I will definitely contact them :)

Both muster drills I've been on on NCL were fantastic. in the theatre and a big bar, plenty of room. air conditioned.

muuuuuuuuch better than Carnival outside deck mosh pit.

Good to hear! The ones Carnival holds inside are fine, but those outside ones........whew! :eek: