Can we board then get off an then Re-board at embarkation?

uilleann

Here is my thought.  We like to have specific non-alcoholic drinks and snacks when we want them.  We are trying to pack light so none of that is in our luggage.   We could just grab some of that stuff at the first port we stop at.   But we have a 12:30 boarding time.

I was wondering if we could check in. Then leave the boat. Take a short uber or taxi ride to a store. Then buy what we want and be back by 2ish.

The question is, is this possible to do this.  Or is it so busy that we would just get in the way?

T

We did this in Brooklyn, no problem. I realized I wanted something out of my car so I exited back out thru the terminal, got my item out of the car and went back aboard. This was fairly late in the process so the terminal was pretty empty.

I with some others above; whilst one could immediately disembark, go shopping, and then join the ship once more, I don't quite understand the need to do so.

Passenger ships are packed full of food and drinks (no-one ever went hungry or thirsty on a normal cruise!). People can eat/drink twenty-four hours a day if they so wished.

Surely one of the many pleasures of travelling is discovering new/different food and drinks? So what if I can't get my favourite brand of crisps (chips)/nuts/etc, or my usual type of drink.

A short time without them, whilst trying something new (and maybe discovering a couple of new favourites?), will make me appreciate the usual/boring/routine stuff when I get home.

How did I acquire these long-time favourites anyway? Because, a long time ago, I tried them somewhere.

Hilarious the OP asks a simple question and so many people dive in telling them what to eat and drink rather than answer the question about boarding.

AnywayI have boarded and then disembarked and reboarded without issue.

However personally in that circumstance I would simply ignore the 12.30 boarding time and turn up when I was ready after buying what I wanted.

Thanks Picsa,

Yes,  I found some of the answers on the offensive side.  It is weird how you can ask a simple question and then you get a lot of responses that do not answer the question, but rather they question the idea that you would even ask the question.  Its like they are saying, if you are going on this cruise then you must do what everyone else is doing and not even think of doing something outside of our definition of normal.  And if you do then you are to be scorned.   

Cunard is a more formal Cruise line than I have been on so earlier I had asked about the dress code.  I wanted to know the most casual items I could wear and still be ok.  In other words I did not want to break rules or offend people and needed advice.  80% of the responses were like “why are you even crusing on this ship if you think that way”, And “do you want to ruin it for everybody”, And would you dress like that for your daughters wedding”.   A few did give me the info I needed.  But there can be a lot of bizarre responses here that I do not see in other forums or FB groups.   Well.... to be truthfull.... I do see some of it, but not like here.

As others have suggested, of COURSE you can reboard; you bypass the check-in process (except of course the security check) and it affects nobody else. Just remember to take your boarding card along, and your passport just in case! No different from the process for "in transit" pax. It would seem to make more sense though to pick up what you want before boarding ... unless you have nowhere to leave your luggage while you shop. 

I picked up some items at Whole Foods in Brooklyn and carried them aboard at embarkation in a soft-sided cooler bag. Some wine and port, a few soft drinks, and a few snacks for the cabin. Probably saved $150 versus prices on board, and I ensured that I would have access to exactly what I wanted (not all of which was available on board). Did the same thing at Tesco in Southampton before the return trip (and picked up a few local delicacies including fresh strawberries and cream).

I had also disembarked briefly in Brooklyn before departure to retrieve a forgotten camera tripod from my car (which was parked on the wharf). I took a few photos of the ship, then returned on board in a matter of a few minutes.

PJ

21 hours ago, uilleann said:

Thanks for the info.   It is appreciated.  

Dear Uilleann, I did not mean to offend with my comment. Please accept my apology if I did. I think that the suggestion that you stop for your items and board later than 12:30 is the simplest solution to your problem. Again my apologies. 

8 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Dear Uilleann, I did not mean to offend with my comment. Please accept my apology if I did. I think that the suggestion that you stop for your items and board later than 12:30 is the simplest solution to your problem. Again my apologies. 

No problem. But that is not the simplest solution as we will already be burdened enough with what we are carrying on.  We have a fair mount of stuff that we do not want out of our control.  But thanks for the comment.