Getting to South beach from port

allentownahoy

Are you going from the Port Of Miami?

Assuming the answer is yes than I would say the cost is around $25.00 by Taxi.  Another option is Uber which I would do.

On a weekday depends what time of day and where you want to be dropped off.    Assume around 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic.

Keith

20 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Are you going from the Port Of Miami?

Assuming the answer is yes than I would say the cost is around $25.00 by Taxi.  Another option is Uber which I would do.

On a weekday depends what time of day and where you want to be dropped off.    Assume around 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic.

Keith

Thank you. Yes, I did mean the port of Miami

On 10/28/2018 at 10:37 PM, allentownahoy said:

How easy would it be to get a taxi to and from South Beach? What is the estimated taxi fare? How long should we expect the ride to take on a weekday?

Thank you

Well, my friend, we meet again. I came to the Florida board to find the best way to South Beach from the port, also. We will be there Sunday. Crazy prices; it's less than six miles. When will you be there?

8 hours ago, John Reid said:

Well, my friend, we meet again. I came to the Florida board to find the best way to South Beach from the port, also. We will be there Sunday. Crazy prices; it's less than six miles. When will you be there?

We discuss distance in minutes, not miles.  Uber is also very affordable in South Florida. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:08 PM, John Reid said:

Early January. I will be on the Grandeur Jan. 3 sailing. Since you will be there Sunday you will have to let me know how you make out. Have a good cruise. Are you going to Charleston too? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 12:17 AM, allentownahoy said:

Early January. I will be on the Grandeur Jan. 3 sailing. Since you will be there Sunday you will have to let me know how you make out. Have a good cruise. Are you going to Charleston too? 

Back from the not-so high seas. Charleston was not a stop. I wandered alone down to the transportation area at the Miami port. I'd say 75% of the passengers heading to South Beach or Bayside were taking Uber or Lyft. There is a cab line. Three people sharing would make it reasonable to South Beach - $22 to $25 one way. Being solo, I approached someone with a sign for a shuttle to SB for $10.00. That seemed reasonable. I asked when it would leave. She called out to a rep down a bit further to see if he was going there. He tries to sell me a trip to Bayside, the touristy area at the end of the bridge. I was now starting to feel like I was at the cab stand in St. Lucia. I go back to the woman and say it is customary to actually have a van going to the location they are selling. They took care of it immediately; they stopped holding the signs. 

Something shady was going on with some hustler assembling rides using cabs, vans, rickshaws - anything that moved. He set up four to SB in a yellow cab for $7.00 per person. They would have done a bit better at the cab stand. Then he set up a group that needed to bring a mobility scooter. Looked like about five people together. He tells them he can arrange it and gets on his phone. A van with a luggage trailer pulls up (like the hotel shuttles) and they pick up the scooter and put it in the luggage trailer. God knows how they were going to get back.

I saw a couple ask some sort of attendant in the area about walking over the bridge to Bayside. From where I had been standing, I could see people walking across the bridge!

I decided that watching all this was entertainment enough; I went back to the ship. I'll watch an old episode of Miami Vice to see South Beach.

You'll have my beach report for the 12-day around December 14.

Have a good sail.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, John Reid said:

Back from the not-so high seas. Charleston was not a stop. I wandered alone down to the transportation area at the Miami port. I'd say 75% of the passengers heading to South Beach or Bayside were taking Uber or Lyft. There is a cab line. Three people sharing would make it reasonable to South Beach - $22 to $25 one way. Being solo, I approached someone with a sign for a shuttle to SB for $10.00. That seemed reasonable. I asked when it would leave. She called out to a rep down a bit further to see if he was going there. He tries to sell me a trip to Bayside, the touristy area at the end of the bridge. I was now starting to feel like I was at the cab stand in St. Lucia. I go back to the woman and say it is customary to actually have a van going to the location they are selling. They took care of it immediately; they stopped holding the signs. 

Something shady was going on with some hustler assembling rides using cabs, vans, rickshaws - anything that moved. He set up four to SB in a yellow cab for $7.00 per person. They would have done a bit better at the cab stand. Then he set up a group that needed to bring a mobility scooter. Looked like about five people together. He tells them he can arrange it and gets on his phone. A van with a luggage trailer pulls up (like the hotel shuttles) and they pick up the scooter and put it in the luggage trailer. God knows how they were going to get back.

I saw a couple ask some sort of attendant in the area about walking over the bridge to Bayside. From where I had been standing, I could see people walking across the bridge!

I decided that watching all this was entertainment enough; I went back to the ship. I'll watch an old episode of Miami Vice to see South Beach.

You'll have my beach report for the 12-day around December 14.

Have a good sail.

Sounds awful. One of the women I am traveling with has an Uber account so maybe we will try that. Which terminal/pier did Grandeur dock at? Did you make it to a beach at Port Canaveral?

Thanks for reporting back. I look forward to your beach report in December. BTW, where do you like to go in Antigua? Still debating where to go there on my December cruise with my husband.

9 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Sounds awful. One of the women I am traveling with has an Uber account so maybe we will try that. Which terminal/pier did Grandeur dock at? Did you make it to a beach at Port Canaveral?

Thanks for reporting back. I look forward to your beach report in December. BTW, where do you like to go in Antigua? Still debating where to go there on my December cruise with my husband.

The Ubered folks did just fine. Pickup was smooth for them; Uber phoned when they were close and pulled up just past the cab line. I believe we were at dock F; it's a fairly long walk through the terminal to get to the exit. My wife was less than adventurous this cruise; no beach in Port Canaveral.

I head south in Antigua to Darkwood Beach. It is a bit rustic but has a grill and bar. I guess it's the bathrooms that are somewhat rustic. Beautiful beach. Most of the people on the public transportation system I use get off at Jolly Beach. It is closer to the ship and seems to be popular. I'll be there December 6.

Two Darkwood shots.

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00057.jpg