Just Off QM2

foodsvcmgr

Just disembarked QM2 last Thursday in NY after a fabulous crossing with the NSO. The two Cunard Proms were a real treat, far from the typical shipboard entertainment.

For us, first time back on QM2 since 2010, first voyage since becoming Platinum, first time in Britannia Club, first T/A since 1979 on QE2.

A few observations that may be of interest:

Had a new cabin on Deck 13, still very fresh, very quiet, agree that the shower door is a big plus.

As we have always encountered on Cunard, still 95% of men in black tie on formal nights. Other nights most all in suits but probably 40% without ties, particularly the first and last nights, myself included. Only a handful of casual interlopers were seen in venues such as the Chart Room at night.

Arriving from Stonehenge about 12:45, we were immediately ushered aboard with priority embarkation, past hundreds seated waiting to be called.

Overall the ship is in great condition, Carinthia Lounge and the redone King's Court are vast improvements.

I like the new menus and enjoyed mostly everything I chose. They seem much more "British" than in the past, which is better and more interesting than a generic cruise menu found on most lines today. Agree with prior comments here that the second formal night is lacking any really upgraded items though. Tried a few items from the a la carte page.

Really enjoyed Britannia Club, taking all meals but one lunch at our reserved table. Comparing to the main Britannia, the value of upgrading is not just the fixed table/open seating but the extremely prompt and professional service, we were typically attended to by two waiters and two or more junior waiters at every meal. Food was brought individually from the galley, consistently served hot. Dominic the maître 'd was as hard working as his staff and agreeable to modest off menu requests, such as creating mixed green salads at lunch. Flambe was only offered on the last formal night for the cherries to top the Baked Alaska.

Captain Wells was extremely visible and quite personable, even taking on humorous roles as bell ringer and conductor with the NSO.

As had been said, pricing the liquor and mixer separately is a bit odd, although one typically receives a small bottle of tonic or small pitcher of soda so the end result is really a drink and a half.

The plate of olives every night with a cheap pairing such as popcorn is a major decline in Commodore Club, however promptly at 7:45 each table receives a plate of four cold canapes, the hot and butlered service are sadly history.

So overall very pleased and eager to return, will continue to intersperse HAL and Princess until I can find a suitable date and itinerary with Cunard.

Any questions please ask.

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Just disembarked QM2 last Thursday in NY after a fabulous crossing with the NSO. The two Cunard Proms were a real treat, far from the typical shipboard entertainment.

For us, first time back on QM2 since 2010, first voyage since becoming Platinum, first time in Britannia Club, first T/A since 1979 on QE2.

A few observations that may be of interest:

Had a new cabin on Deck 13, still very fresh, very quiet, agree that the shower door is a big plus.

As we have always encountered on Cunard, still 95% of men in black tie on formal nights. Other nights most all in suits but probably 40% without ties, particularly the first and last nights, myself included. Only a handful of casual interlopers were seen in venues such as the Chart Room at night.

Arriving from Stonehenge about 12:45, we were immediately ushered aboard with priority embarkation, past hundreds seated waiting to be called.

Overall the ship is in great condition, Carinthia Lounge and the redone King's Court are vast improvements.

I like the new menus and enjoyed mostly everything I chose. They seem much more "British" than in the past, which is better and more interesting than a generic cruise menu found on most lines today. Agree with prior comments here that the second formal night is lacking any really upgraded items though. Tried a few items from the a la carte page.

Really enjoyed Britannia Club, taking all meals but one lunch at our reserved table. Comparing to the main Britannia, the value of upgrading is not just the fixed table/open seating but the extremely prompt and professional service, we were typically attended to by two waiters and two or more junior waiters at every meal. Food was brought individually from the galley, consistently served hot. Dominic the maître 'd was as hard working as his staff and agreeable to modest off menu requests, such as creating mixed green salads at lunch. Flambe was only offered on the last formal night for the cherries to top the Baked Alaska.

Captain Wells was extremely visible and quite personable, even taking on humorous roles as bell ringer and conductor with the NSO.

As had been said, pricing the liquor and mixer separately is a bit odd, although one typically receives a small bottle of tonic or small pitcher of soda so the end result is really a drink and a half.

The plate of olives every night with a cheap pairing such as popcorn is a major decline in Commodore Club, however promptly at 7:45 each table receives a plate of four cold canapes, the hot and butlered service are sadly history.

So overall very pleased and eager to return, will continue to intersperse HAL and Princess until I can find a suitable date and itinerary with Cunard.

Any questions please ask.

Dear foodsvcmgr,

Welcome back home!

Thank you for reliving our trip of last year with your description and experiencing the same cabin location and Club Britannia dining. DW very much liked the Glass Shower Door as a new experience in that location. They did a good job on the refit adding those cabins.

The only thing we found with the location of the cabin, one gets to build an appetite and working off the meal walking back and forth. Don't know if you sense that too! lol...... We did enjoy the Table Side Service each evening with special requests being honored with pleasure. We favored the a la carte page too. Flambes each evening was a treat, wish we could have taken it home to enjoy. Have to think of some new requests for our next sailing in the Club DR.

Next time we have to try the Carinthia Lounge, we just spoke about that last night. Still not too keen about the KC, probably still have to get use too it. Hope you enjoyed the Pub too.

Yes we totally agree Capt. Chris is very personable. We had the opportunity on the last cruise to sit with him socially for about an hour with good stories and social drink.

We too were not happy with the change in bar pricing and division in composition of drinks. But still had a good drink that was enjoyed.

Once again, thank you for bringing back good memories... 

Edited by BklynBoy8

Odd. To read yet another report of diminished nibbles in the Commodore Club at cocktail time. And again, certainly not the case on QUEEN ELIZABETH (at least mid September and long after the first reports of cutbacks on QM2).  It seems strange that QM2 will differ from the other ships in this respect.  We certainly had no complaints on QE in this regard.

Just to clarify , re  evening  'Canapés in the Commodore Club Queen Mary 2 !  

Contrary to some posts, highlighting the removed of the  ( silver service) hot canapés  on QM2  as a 'Cut Back', this is further from the truth.

From time to time Food & Beverage will rotate the offer of these nibbles to avoid waste.  The uptake on the hot canapés ( usually served just before 6pm/8pm) is very low.  More often that not, there is , and always has been, a 'considerable waste'  The majority of guest's ( especially  ladies) will refuse the hot canapé . I guess, not wanting the sloppy filling of those spring rolls, accidentally  dripping down the front of  their evening outfit !  ...or the 'chicken Satay on sicks' which were always  too large !   (I've often refuse these offering for that reason too. 😉 )  

The hot canapés have been been temporary rotated  and replaced on a 'Three day Cycle' of  the following; 

( Day 1) Kalamatas Olives ( Greece)    +  'Goat's Cheese' covered popcorn ( this in my opinion is  delicious !! ) 

(Day 2 ) Moroccan Spiced nuts  + Cerignola Olives ( Italy) 

( Day 3)  Japanese Rice Crackers - Mixed salted nuts 

Interesting  to note;  all the  above are from the same 'Gourmet Company' who provide the drinks nibbles for the American Bar at the Savoy Hotel.    

*In addition to the above, cold Canapés are still offered, as are potato crisps ( chips for our American cousins)

On the Vista class fleet the offer is ,  a pre plated 'warm canapé x 2,  in addition to mixed nuts and Crisps.  

I don't think we can call it cut backs, more often than not when we see a change it's really a trade off ! to introduce something new.   We now see Cunard are offering complimentary evening meals in the Pub .😉  

I guess because they have introduced a pre plated version of  'Two small  bite size 'warm bites' ( and with a fork 😉) and only one each  if you are with a partner 😉  Couldn't really call them the same  hot canapés that we saw on  QM2. 

Who knows, we might see the same introduced on QM.    

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

I guess because they have introduced a pre plated version of  'Two small  bite size 'warm bites' ( and with a fork 😉) and only one each  if you are with a partner 😉  Couldn't really call them the same  hot canapés that we saw on  QM2. 

Who knows, we might see the same introduced on QM.  

In the mean time, lookout for the 'Goats Cheese Popcorn', it goes down well with a chilled  glass of anything 😉  if it's good enough for the demographic of the American Bar Savoy , then it's good enough for ..........😉   

The pre-plated hot apps have been a fixture on Holland America for years at happy hours and are quite nice and seemingly eagerly devoured in my observation.

Hopefully at some point QM2 will give this a try similar to how they are handling the plated cold hors d’oeuvres.

I’m sorry, “gourmet” popcorn is still popcorn, along with the olive du jour not in keeping with the ambiance of Commodore.

17 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Just off QM2 and the popcorn is served in Commodore Club and didnt know what it tasted of until reading earlier in this thread and IMHO are horrible and definitely an acquired taste.

Another reason to avoid the Savoy,lol.I'm glad Bellboy confirmed what I said months ago,that the dinner in the pub was free.At least it was on the QE.People were accusing me of not knowing the difference between lunch and dinner.We had hot canopes offered every night one plate after another.We had to say, that's enough,in the end.