P&O or Royal Carribean??

sidekick180

Hi Everyone,

So far, I have only ever been on one cruise, which was May 2018 on P&O Ventura. I have already booked for next May on P&O Azura. I have spoken to quite a few experienced cruisers and a good number of them have said that Royal Carribean cruises are better than P&O. I would like to get some feedback on this question so I can make a more informed decision when booking our next cruise. Also, the cruise would need to be a 'no fly cruise' preferably from Southampton.

RCI (Royal Caribbean) also sail out of Southampton, as do a number of other cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity and NCL.

There are pros & cons with each.

RCI is has more fun & more glitz - and is much more "in your face", which you may / may not like.

RCI is generally more popular with older kids, P&O with younger kids.

P&O is more reserved, & the décor could be described as "more refined" or "bland" - depending on your own stance.

P&O is geared to Brit tastes - you'll have seen that pub-type items on its menus are interspersed with international dishes.

P&O has 95+% British clientele, RCI is more mixed though that does depend on the itineraries.
On-board costs are significantly higher on RCI - particularly daily service charges, drinks, & drinks service charges. There's no self-service laundries. Simply take those differences into account when comparing cruise ticket prices. 

On RCI there normally aren't tea/coffee facilities in cabins but they are provided on sailings from the UK - though that's tea only, so bring a jar of your favourite instant coffee.

BTW - RCI's on-board currency is $. Always settle your on-board account in ship's currency - don't agree to them changing it to sterling "for your convenience", because they'll do so at a poor exchange rate. You credit card supplier will always give a better exchange rate than any merchant. Same with all cruise lines, and with using your card in foreign ports - always but always leave the bill in their currency.

And for non-sterling ships and foreign travel mebbe get yourself a card which doesn't charge a forex fee. Halifax Clarity, Capita One, Nationwide FlexPlus, or credit card from the Post Office.

Because so much about cruising is new & different, I always advise a Brit cruise line for a Brit's first cruise - a gentler & simpler introduction.

But it's not your first cruise.

Time to spread your wings a little?????  

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We've tried a few lines now, so we know what suits us, and a little of what will suit others-e.g. RCI was fine, but not for us, but we have recommended the line to 3 families with teenagers- and they will probably cruise with RCI for life.

There's such a choice from Southampton these days, and I'd be happy on most lines from there.

I've been in N/America for almost 40 years, but would go for P&O anytime, over RCI. Unfortunately P&O are owned by Carnival Corp and standards have fallen, but believe they are still better than the glitz of RCI.

Some fantastic advice from all you experienced cruisers. It looks like the choice is quite divided. I will see how we get on in May on the P&O Azura. If it works out to be perfect for us we will probably stick with P&O, but if not, maybe we could look at RCI or a completely different line.

Many thanks to all!

Bottom line, cruise on each and see what is best for YOU.

I cannot tell you which line is better for you, any more than I could tell you what to order at dinner or what clothes to buy.

Of course, reading the sections on the lines, and reading reviews, may give you an idea of what the differences in the lines are.

And the absolute bottom line, a day on a cruise (ANY cruise), is better than a day at work. 😄

Just a though, if you're halfway to considering RCI.

Because IMHO Princess is halfway between P&O and RCI.

Princess was a subsidiary of P&O - and still is even though they both have new American overlords, the Carnival Corp.

But Princess has a "trans-Atlantic" feel to it.......

Much more pleasing decor than the comparatively "magnolia" of P&O, but not as brash as RCI.

Ditto the staff - more refined than RCI, less reserved than P&O.

Princess ships fly the Red Duster, and senior crew tend to be Brit, Canadian and European.

But on-board currency is the USD, and service charges and drinks prices are at US levels. 

Most (all?) of their ships have a pub - serving Brit beers and pub-grub. In fact, the best fish & chips I've ever tasted was on a Princess ship, even though the chef puree'd the mushy peas instead of smashing them - perhaps the lumpiness of mushy peas offended his culinary instincts :classic_wink:

I tend to think of Princess as more up-scale, but prices are in the same ball-park.

Lots of Princess sailings from Southampton

JB :classic_smile:

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

Just a though, if you're halfway to considering RCI.

Because IMHO Princess is halfway between P&O and RCI.

Princess was a subsidiary of P&O - and still is even though they both have new American overlords, the Carnival Corp.

But Princess has a "trans-Atlantic" feel to it.......

Much more pleasing decor than the comparatively "magnolia" of P&O, but not as brash as RCI.

Ditto the staff - more refined than RCI, less reserved than P&O.

Princess ships fly the Red Duster, and senior crew tend to be Brit, Canadian and European.

But on-board currency is the USD, and service charges and drinks prices are at US levels. 

Most (all?) of their ships have a pub - serving Brit beers and pub-grub. In fact, the best fish & chips I've ever tasted was on a Princess ship, even though the chef puree'd the mushy peas instead of smashing them - perhaps the lumpiness of mushy peas offended his culinary instincts :classic_wink:

I tend to think of Princess as more up-scale, but prices are in the same ball-park.

Lots of Princess sailings from Southampton

JB :classic_smile:

Having worked for both P&O and Princess, and cruised with RCI, I totally agree with John's comments.