My quest for a long overdue Oceania change...

Flatbush Flyer

Maybe a business letter or well placed phone call might carry a little more weight than a post on a blog page.  Just a suggestion for your crusade.  Change Oceania company policy for hundreds of employees by suggesting it on Cruise Critic?  On a blog?  Using a Micky Mouse name tag?  Good luck with that.  

If all this doesn't work, I am sure "thousands" of blog readers here will gladly use the suggestion the OP had to put it on their comment cards.  I don't think "better name tags" would be on my top 3, top 10, or top 100 suggestions on my post cruise comment card.  

34 minutes ago, pauon said:

If all this doesn't work, I am sure "thousands" of blog readers here will gladly use the suggestion the OP had to put it on their comment cards.  I don't think "better name tags" would be on my top 3, top 10, or top 100 suggestions on my post cruise comment card.  

Perhaps you don't remember a similar CC discussion several years ago when Oceania (briefly) changed their smoking policy to allow E-cigs in certain additional locations. A  cruise critic thread on the subject started a quick backlash (including from me). With reference to the growing CC Oceania regulars saying "no" on CC, I got the then CEO's direct e-mail address from Christopher Elliott (travel writer/ombudsman) and e-mailed him evidence of the mounting research nixing e-cigs. I did this on a Saturday night and he replied Sunday morning that the policy would change back. On Monday, the offending modification was gone from the O website.

Fast forward to this thread. Reread those posts where it is indicated that another O regular has brought this thread to the attention of senior O management and it does appear that a name tag change is now under consideration. In my chats with two different O GMs, it is also my understanding that the unreadable name tags are an oft-repeated issue on the comment cards.

The list goes on... how often have O web fixes started here on CC?  Etc etc.

One great thing about Oceania is that they do listen (even to CC comments) and do their best to make efficacious changes.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

That's truly amazing...thanks for the insight.   You are obviously very proud of all your hard work and THOUSANDS  of posts.  I will be looking forward to those Micky Mouse name tags on my next voyage.   I think I will start a post on how the present name tags are much to large...can I have the CEO's "direct email address"?

Edited by pauon

46 minutes ago, pauon said:

That's truly amazing...thanks for the insight.   You are obviously very proud of all your hard work and THOUSANDS  of posts.  I will be looking forward to those Micky Mouse name tags on my next voyage.   I think I will start a post on how the present name tags are much to large...can I have the CEO's "direct email address"?

You're welcome!

Note, however, that what I am proud of is the many O regulars who share their kudos and concerns here on CC, via the cruise comment cards and also by communication with Oceania management.

Maybe you'll become an O regular someday. Often, all it takes is an attitude adjustment and constructive contributions to the discussions. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You're welcome!

Note, however, that what I am proud of is the many O regulars who share their kudos and concerns here on CC, via the cruise comment cards and also by communication with Oceania management.

Maybe you'll become an O regular someday. Often, all it takes is an attitude adjustment and constructive contributions to the discussions. 

I rarely visit these type of trivial discussions on CC, it is merely for entertainment.  Something called "My quest for a long overdue Oceania change..." fits that bill.  After spending almost 30 years in a courtroom, I would rather be outside having fun with friends and traveling, rather than scanning blogs to add my 2 cents that no one really cares about.  7,428 posts, that is a real accomplishment, one that I have no time for.  We have been traveling for 50 years and would never stay with just one line, O included.  We will be leaving for 32 days with O soon.  Bon Voyage and enjoy your "quest".  As far as "constructive contributions"... you may want to go back and edit a lot of your posts.

6 minutes ago, pauon said:

I rarely visit these type of trivial discussions on CC, it is merely for entertainment.  Something called "My quest for a long overdue Oceania change..." fits that bill.  After spending almost 30 years in a courtroom, I would rather be outside having fun with friends and traveling, rather than scanning blogs to add my 2 cents that no one really cares about.  7,428 posts, that is a real accomplishment, one that I have no time for.  We have been traveling for 50 years and would never stay with just one line, O included.  We will be leaving for 32 days with O soon.  Bon Voyage and enjoy your "quest".  As far as "constructive contributions"... you may want to go back and edit a lot of your posts.

Aren't you special.

16 hours ago, pauon said:

Maybe a business letter or well placed phone call might carry a little more weight than a post on a blog page.  Just a suggestion for your crusade.  Change Oceania company policy for hundreds of employees by suggesting it on Cruise Critic?  On a blog?  Using a Micky Mouse name tag?  Good luck with that.  

I am not sure why you are so upset about this perfectly reasonable request..

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

I am not sure why you are so upset about this perfectly reasonable request..

Jancruz1

Not upset about it t all, it is simple economics.  I am a consumer.  I like to cruise on O, Windstar (my preferred), Holland, and Princess.  We have also chartered our own boat and crew in Alaska and Palau (amazing advanced Scuba here!) and been on very very small National Geographic experiences in the Sea of Cortez.   All have their advantages and disadvantages.  For me, the deciding factor is itinerary and value (not cost).  If I am going to make a suggestion to a business, that costs them money (ie...me!), I want it to positively impact MY stay and MY experience.  Frankly I find the name tags perfectly fine and very readable.  To update a  part of the uniform for thousands of employees that does not better my experience would be foolish.  Now if the OP wanted to try to change the outrageous prices of O's excursions (hundreds of post on this one and no change), eliminate the 6 brochures I get weekly from O (lots of posts also), or eliminate smoking pipes, cigars, or cigarettes on deck...I might be impressed and inclined to support or agree.  Both of those would positively impact my experience.  Name tags do not.  If you are not able to read it, and  had a curiosity or reason to know it...you stand up, introduce yourself, and ask their name.

It is all business...like I said I am a consumer and me supporting something that is really that; silly and not cost effective, is not good business.  We all have our opinions and motives.

2 hours ago, pauon said:

Not upset about it t all, it is simple economics.  I am a consumer.  I like to cruise on O, Windstar (my preferred), Holland, and Princess.  We have also chartered our own boat and crew in Alaska and Palau (amazing advanced Scuba here!) and been on very very small National Geographic experiences in the Sea of Cortez.   All have their advantages and disadvantages.  For me, the deciding factor is itinerary and value (not cost).  If I am going to make a suggestion to a business, that costs them money (ie...me!), I want it to positively impact MY stay and MY experience.  Frankly I find the name tags perfectly fine and very readable.  To update a  part of the uniform for thousands of employees that does not better my experience would be foolish.  Now if the OP wanted to try to change the outrageous prices of O's excursions (hundreds of post on this one and no change), eliminate the 6 brochures I get weekly from O (lots of posts also), or eliminate smoking pipes, cigars, or cigarettes on deck...I might be impressed and inclined to support or agree.  Both of those would positively impact my experience.  Name tags do not.  If you are not able to read it, and  had a curiosity or reason to know it...you stand up, introduce yourself, and ask their name.

It is all business...like I said I am a consumer and me supporting something that is really that; silly and not cost effective, is not good business.  We all have our opinions and motives.

Trust me when I tell you I have spent over 400 days on Oceania in addition to cruising on Princess, Azamara, Celebrity, Crystal , 60 days on Windstar, NCL, Regent..I could go on but I hope this gives you an idea of how young I am.LOL

So you see I couldnt remember every ones names under any conditions..I certainly understand what you are saying but sometimes we have to take other peoples needs into consideration also..I understand about the tours..and whole heartedly agree with you..that is why we do independent tours which  am sure you do also..truth is I wish  was younger so I could see the name tags as is but unfortunately, I cant and I am sure  many people in my situation cannot see them also..since this is a very inexpensive fix..why not do it..as for tours, that would take a lot of money out of NCL coffers and I know that will not happen...So in the end, no one is asking you to support new name tags but understand why it is important to some people..

Thanks for listening..Happy Turkey Day to All...

Jancruz1

• Like 1

Jancruz1,

Very well said, Jan.  I think you were a diplomat in your past profession.  Often I  dream of  returning to the days without the internet. I would love to sit down and hear about your travels one day and  I buy the first round !  

Edited by pauon
It was a female I was calling "Sir"

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Jan is  a lovely lady 

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Jan is  a lovely lady 

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  The original was corrected and Jan, please accept my sincerest apologies.

17 hours ago, pauon said:

Jancruz1,

Very well said, Jan.  I think you were a diplomat in your past profession.  Often I  dream of  returning to the days without the internet. I would love to sit down and hear about your travels one day and  I buy the first round !  

You are on..I look forward to it and do I have stories to tell..LOL

Jancruz1