Grand Princess Staircase Question

Piperpals

I have read in several places that the central staircase in the Grand doesn't go to all decks.  We were on the Grand a few years ago and remember something about this but can't see anything on the floor plans now. Does anyone have more information about this?

Only asking because we booked a cabin aft as under the Horizon Court as we normally do and received an upgrade to a cabin mid-aft one deck down and wondering if the staircase  will be an issue.

Thanks

Helen

On the Grand, the central stairs available to passengers go only up to deck 7.  There are stairs that continue up from deck 7 to Lido but those are only accessible to crew.  So from your midship cabin to the buffet, you'll have to walk back to the aft stairs or else take the midship elevator. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

as I recall, central case was 4 to 14. 

Correct. Passenger stairs only go to deck 7.

This happened on the Royal.........when she was built they were entirely crew stairs. No passenger access at all.

After numerous complaints the Royal went into dry dock and the stairs were converted to passenger stairs a year or 2 after she came into service.

On the Regal they were fitted out correctly as passenger stairs from the start.

Forward Stairs Deck 5 to 15

Mid Stairs Deck 4 to 14

Aft Stairs Deck 6 to 15

To get to the Botticelli Dining Room you have to access from deck 7. Go aft on deck 7 to the aft stair or elevator, then down to deck 6. The dining room cannot be accessed directly from deck 6. This may be what people may be taking about.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg4502 said:

Mid Stairs Deck 4 to 14

Aft Stairs Deck 6 to 15

To get to the Botticelli Dining Room you have to access from deck 7. Go aft on deck 7 to the aft stair or elevator, then down to deck 6. The dining room cannot be accessed directly from deck 6. This may be what people may be taking about.  

The middle stairs on the Grand are NOT open to passengers above level 7.  There is a door barrier between deck 7 and 8 to stop passengers.  So technically there is a staircase but it can't be used.  I wish the door was on deck 7 to have prevented me from going up half a flight and then realizing I couldn't go any further up.  It's very annoying for those that prefer stairs to elevators.  They were open to all during muster drill, but after the doors are closed again.

17 hours ago, Piperpals said:

I have read in several places that the central staircase in the Grand doesn't go to all decks.  We were on the Grand a few years ago and remember something about this but can't see anything on the floor plans now. Does anyone have more information about this?

Only asking because we booked a cabin aft as under the Horizon Court as we normally do and received an upgrade to a cabin mid-aft one deck down and wondering if the staircase  will be an issue.

Thanks

Helen

No mid ship passenger staircase, except from decks 4 to 7. Staircases forward and aft. Elevators forward, aft and mid-ship.

2 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

Mid Stairs Deck 4 to 14

Aft Stairs Deck 6 to 15

This is incorrect on the Grand re; midship staircase.

Talking about mid ship staircase not the aft staircase.

The way the ship is designed, there are more decks at the front and rear of the ship.  The center of the ship is open to the pools.  Therefore the central staircase and elevators only go to the Lido (deck 14).  The bow staircase goes to the Sun (deck 15) and the aft staircase to the Sport (deck 16) with the starboard portion extending to the Sky (deck 17).  Look at your deck plans.  

3 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

Mid Stairs Deck 4 to 14

Aft Stairs Deck 6 to 15

on the Grand mid stairs are 4 to 7. currently on board so absolutely certain. only crew above 7 behind doors.

21 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

on the Grand mid stairs are 4 to 7. currently on board so absolutely certain. only crew above 7 behind doors.

Wow all the deck plans show it as an passenger accessible staircase.  I have read that is accessible on some cruises.  While on the Ruby, I noticed that there is a second set of stairs behind the passenger stair and it is reserved for crew but is also marked as an emergency exit.  One issue most cruisers don’t think about is evacuating a ship.  In many cases, the elevators are disabled, so stairs are your option.  

2 hours ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

The way the ship is designed, there are more decks at the front and rear of the ship.  The center of the ship is open to the pools.  Therefore the central staircase and elevators only go to the Lido (deck 14).  The bow staircase goes to the Sun (deck 15) and the aft staircase to the Sport (deck 16) with the starboard portion extending to the Sky (deck 17).  Look at your deck plans.  

Not correct. On the Grand only the center elevators go between decks 7 and 14, no center passenger staircase.

Edited by skynight

38 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Wow all the deck plans show it as an passenger accessible staircase.  I have read that is accessible on some cruises.  While on the Ruby, I noticed that there is a second set of stairs behind the passenger stair and it is reserved for crew but is also marked as an emergency exit.  One issue most cruisers don’t think about is evacuating a ship.  In many cases, the elevators are disabled, so stairs are your option.  

they do allow access during the emergency drill