RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

25 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I think this may answer a lot of questions people have been speculating to

Speculating about what? Plusgrade running this for RCI has been known since the program started.

Edited by Biker19

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Speculating about what? Plusgrade running this for RCI has been known since the program started.

I appreciated the article and I already know a lot about the RoyalUp program.   This article did share more info. though. Thank you to the one that shared the article!!! 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DreamerHopes said:

This article did share more info. though. 

I was trying to figure out what people are speculating about. BTW, while that article has a lot of info on airline bidding, it has none on cruises whose details could be quite different - that, we can certainly speculate about.

27 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

This is great news for you !  The deck 8 ATS are SOOOOOO much bigger than any of the other ones.  Congratulations !  You will be far more comfortable in 8 than on any of the upper decks.

Thanks! We are so excited! 

Just got my offers for the 5/5 Allure of the Seas cruise. I'm currently in a JS. 

• Aquatheater - 1 Bedroom - Starting Bid $700 - Max Bid $2,500 
  • Crown Loft Suite - Starting Bid $600 - Max Bid $2,100
  • Owner's Suite - Starting Bid $600 - Max Bid $2,100
  • Grand Suite - Starting Bid $300 - Max Bid $1,100

All of the above are per person. We're happy in the JS right now since it's just two of us and I've sailed in a GS many times. The only one I'm interested in would be the loft suite since I've never sailed in one. If the bids drop later on I may try for one. 

Just got a Royal Up for my sailing and I am tempted - just because we are celebrating on this cruise 🙂

What are your thoughts?   

Also I do plan to go back through this thread to see if I can get some BTDT what people have paid for similar won bids but if you have experience you would like to share I'd love to see it 🙂 

We are in a midship 3D Balcony on Anthem - 5 night sailing - 4 of us 🚢

I really am considering the grande suite - we have already purchased a Unlimited Dining pkg and sailing with another family so Coastal Kitchen won't be too much of a plus for us (maybe breakfast/lunch?) so are the other perks worth it?

I think extra room is always a plus too when there are 3 adults and 1 child 

Royal Up Offers:

Grand Suite:  Starting Bid $400 - max bid $750   -- So aside from more room - SkyClass Benefits (Not totally familiar since I haven't ever stayed in anything above a balcony)

Junior Suite:  Starting Bid $200 - max bid $600 - StarClass benefits (will need to look up!)

Spacious Ocean View Balcony:  Starting Bid $100 - Max Bid $350 - assuming just a larger room than I currently have.

Before this new royal up program started we were involved in Upsells on the Allure.

The first one was going from a GS to a CL2 for a total of $750  (NOT per person), that was about 4 years ago.

The second one was for a GS to a CL1 for a total of $600 (NOT per person) that was about 3 years ago.

Yup we took both and now are smitten by the CL

Just saying.

Sea Ya

14 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Spacious Ocean View Balcony:  Starting Bid $100 - Max Bid $350 - assuming just a larger room than I currently have.

I'd be careful with this one, someone posted a couple of weeks ago, they bid on the "spacious: balcony and won basically the EXACT same cabin. They were really mad, and couldn't do anything about it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lamcnally1 said:

Strangest thing happened so I thought I’d ask the experts 😀. Earlier in this thread I posted that I tried to upgrade my A2 ATS to the bigger A1 on the deck below since the price had dropped. Royal told my TA no because it was being held for Royal Up. Well yesterday, they moved us into that cabin unbeknownst to us! I got an email saying my cruise docs were available, which I thought was strange and sure enough, it’s for the deck 8 suite number. I’m thrilled but also a little nervous that it’s a mistake. The only thing I can think of is that they bumped us up because we paid more than someone bidding into the ATS? Cruise date is 3/30 on symphony so I’m guessing they are finalizing cabins now and made the switch. I just don’t want to show up and be double booked or something.  It’s not like there are a bunch of other suites to put the 8 of us in (DH, 4 kids and 2 nieces) Thoughts? Thanks!

There's always that uber family suite

1 minute ago, amyhphoto said:

I'd be careful with this one, someone posted a couple of weeks ago, they bid on the "spacious: balcony and won basically the EXACT same cabin. They were really mad, and couldn't do anything about it. 

I was thinking the same thing - because it does not say OV with Large Balcony which would be an upgrade, it just says spacious.  

Just got an offer for Adventure OTS mid-May, 8 night cruise.  We are in a JS.  The minimums are:

$200 GS

$500 GS 2 bdr

$600 OS

$1500 RS

We may lower-end bid the GS.  Doubt that we would 'win' because we got the mid-hump JS when it first went on sale, and bidding on the low end would be a savings of over $2000 on the current guarantee GS price.  

Edited by barbeyg

On 3/5/2019 at 12:56 PM, ChristyS said:

So I’m sailing on the grandeur 3/28. Already in the owners suit. Received email to bid on royal suite. The email said 500 min pp. when I opened the link the meter was at 1500. Does that man that’s now the minimum?  I’m perfectly happy in the owners suite but thought this might be an over the top experience 

9 hours ago, bajathree said:

I think this may answer a lot of questions people have been speculating to.  https://www.plusgrade.com/partners/

Found it from this article https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrosen/2018/08/29/fly-business-class-for-cheap-by-bidding-on-airline-upgrades/#7e9e6a297a4c

to those who have bid on the Royal Suite  on the Grandeur for Mar. 28, 2019. I reserved this suite 15 months ago, and am so excited to get on board.   I don't know why RCCL doesn't tell you that this room has been booked.

I received a "Royal Up" offer to upgrade on Ovation of the Seas and decided to give it a try.  Big mistake on my part.  I was originally booked in an 8D cabin (standard oceanview balcony) on deck 8.  Decided to bid for an upgraded "spacious oceanview with large balcony" ... what I ended up with was a 2C cabin, which would have been great except for the fact that it was cabin 6654.  This room was 2 decks lower, cabin space smaller and no sofa.  Yes you get a larger balcony but it is obstructed by the lifeboats!! I don't understand how RCL can even categorize these rooms as a 2C in the first place.  I feel they are being outrightly deceitful when they post these rooms as an upgrade.  They obviously are left last to book cause no one in their right mind would pay the extra cost for these rooms in the first place.  Then they offer them up as an upgrade and once you "win" them you are stuck with it.  I tried to call to change the room but they wouldn't budge.  "Chang" on the "resolutions team" offered to put me back to my original category but said I wasn't entitled to my upgrade bid being refunded.  On top of that he said my original room was already booked so he could only offer me a "guarantee cabin" for that category. I asked if I could at least get a 2D cabin which is cheaper than my so called 2C cabin and he said no problem ... except they wanted me to pay the going rate for that room which would be an extra $1000! Total scam!! Lessons learned I guess.  I would recommend not taking the chance like I did, especially if sailing this class ship.  I have heard of a few lucky people that have gotten nice suite upgrades ... going forward, I wouldn't bid on anything less than a suite though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That does seem deceitful. I agree that a lot of people would not even consider an obstructed view balcony (I do book them for the price). I think they should give you your category back and refund your bid. But that's me and I have no pull.

Unfortunately the program is still new and there probably hasn't been much feedback such as yours. They may reconsider when they continue to get complaints about this type of 'upgrade', as I'm sure they will.

I would advise others to consider all locations of possible 'upgrades' before making a bid. Sometimes it is impossible to go wrong, and other times you may not like the possibilities. Don't make a bid without considering all consequences.

Edited by marci22

I think my biggest issue is that the 2C cabins on deck 6 that are obstructed should be listed in a separate category altogether.  The sad part is they are charging the same price or even more for these obstructed cabins as they do for some of the large balcony non-obstructed rooms.  Just putting it out there to make others aware before they make the same mistake 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gigiluvstocruise said:

I think my biggest issue is that the 2C cabins on deck 6 that are obstructed should be listed in a separate category altogether.  The sad part is they are charging the same price or even more for these obstructed cabins as they do for some of the large balcony non-obstructed rooms.  Just putting it out there to make others aware before they make the same mistake 🙂

If you google there is a video tour of Anthem 6658. Looks like it is in the same position as Ovation. Not your exact cabin but next door and gives you an idea. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gigiluvstocruise said:

I received a "Royal Up" offer to upgrade on Ovation of the Seas and decided to give it a try.  Big mistake on my part.  I was originally booked in an 8D cabin (standard oceanview balcony) on deck 8.  Decided to bid for an upgraded "spacious oceanview with large balcony" ... what I ended up with was a 2C cabin, which would have been great except for the fact that it was cabin 6654.  This room was 2 decks lower, cabin space smaller and no sofa.  Yes you get a larger balcony but it is obstructed by the lifeboats!! I don't understand how RCL can even categorize these rooms as a 2C in the first place.  I feel they are being outrightly deceitful when they post these rooms as an upgrade.  They obviously are left last to book cause no one in their right mind would pay the extra cost for these rooms in the first place.  Then they offer them up as an upgrade and once you "win" them you are stuck with it.  I tried to call to change the room but they wouldn't budge.  "Chang" on the "resolutions team" offered to put me back to my original category but said I wasn't entitled to my upgrade bid being refunded.  On top of that he said my original room was already booked so he could only offer me a "guarantee cabin" for that category. I asked if I could at least get a 2D cabin which is cheaper than my so called 2C cabin and he said no problem ... except they wanted me to pay the going rate for that room which would be an extra $1000! Total scam!! Lessons learned I guess.  I would recommend not taking the chance like I did, especially if sailing this class ship.  I have heard of a few lucky people that have gotten nice suite upgrades ... going forward, I wouldn't bid on anything less than a suite though.

It is worded confusing on my royal up offer.  I am currently in a 3D oceanview balcony and my lowest option to "upgrade" is called a Spacious Oceanview Balcony (note: NOT Large Balcony!)   I cannot even find such a category that exists called spacious oceanview  balcony, so I assumed I would essentially be bidding on the same size cabin I already have.  No thanks!

If I do bid it will be on the other two options given to me - Jr Suite and Grande Suite. I won't bid much and probably won't win but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for space since there are 4 of us packing it in there 🙂 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

I see 6654 as a 2E obstructed balcony? I see it as 8D on Ovation and 2C on Quantum.

I see it as 2C on Ovation. Middle purple color. For some reason they don't put it in the obstructed category. 

Balcony is 10 sq ft bigger and cabin is 21 sq ft smaller. (than 8D)

I think obstructed category should overrule larger balcony category.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1