Celebrity Edge Infinite Veranda

pokervfan 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Actually I don't think it looks so bad...the completely covered balcony might be a plus at times.

I originally thought it would be great for a cold weather cruise, ie Norway or Alaska but then the retreat for suites would be lost and if the captain keeps them all closed for a little bit of rain, what's the point, might as well book an OV.  Some of the forward Deluxe OV's look pretty cool

On 12/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, XBGuy said:

One vote for "Looks pretty cool to me."

I'm pleased to see the Chief contributing to this conversation.  I have a question if he is still around.  Is there an aerodynamic advantage in this new balcony design?

I learned about this new balcony design on the Celebrity Edge from my coffee shop buddy.  His opinion, and I am inclined to agree with this, is that this design could reduce aerodynamic drag.  When you consider design of most modern cruise ships it does seem that the open areas created by the balconies would "foul" the air as the ship moves.  With the solid design of these balconies it seems to us there would be better air management.  Air turbulence would be minimized by the closed windows--i.e., the air would move smoothly past the closed windows as opposed to being sucked around balcony dividers and, who's kidding who, as often as not through an open slider into the cabin itself.  Now, I agree that the amount of time that 100% of the windows would be closed is, most likely, pretty small.  On the flip side, though, in the current conventional design 100% of the balconies are open 100% of the time.

I further agree that the aerodynamic drag on a ship might be relatively small.  However, I would argue that it is nonzero.  Airlines know how much fuel they can save if they can reduce the weight of each flight by one can of soda.

If reduction of aerodynamic drag was a serious design factor in the IV cabins - why hang the Magic carpet off the side - that can't help surely?

On 12/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, Cruise Junky said:

I originally thought it would be great for a cold weather cruise, ie Norway or Alaska but then the retreat for suites would be lost and if the captain keeps them all closed for a little bit of rain, what's the point, might as well book an OV.  Some of the forward Deluxe OV's look pretty cool

Lots of mention about how the IV cabin will come into its own in Norway

In 2019, Reflection has 1 cruise to Norway (from Dublin) spending 4 days in Norway / Fjords.  Silhouette (from Southampton) has 3 x 7 day  cruises -again spending 4 days each cruise in Norway / Fjords.

They supposedly have 4 E class ships coming - unless there is a massive change in where people want to cruise these ships will still collectively spend the vast majority of their time doing warm weather cruises

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, sloopsailor said:

The renderings and full scale mock-ups I have seen require no furniture moving at all. The doors fold towards the side walls, and the exterior window lowers at the touch of a button. Not sure where you get your idea that furniture must be moved around multiple times to gain access.

While Celebrity touts this design as a "new" innovation, several river cruise lines have used similar designs for years. And people like them. 

I was actually ON the EDGE, in an "inifinite veranda" cabin,  when I wrote about having to move the furniture around to actually use the "infinite veranda".  

Ref: Celebrity Edge Maidin Voyage Dec 9 2018

Are  these really Improvement Features for the New Celebrity Edge Ship?

You Decide! We recently sailed on the 7 Day Celebrity Edge Maidin Voyage

of Dec 9 2018 !

And I Hope that that Captains Club – CEO – Or whoever the power to be

Will Accept these Criticisms as Constructive Criticisms , for  Future Celebrity Ships!

By Taking away our Elite SkyLounge – This was a Tremendous Plus for us that us many more Elite+ or Diamond Members will Surely Miss!

BY Doing away with the Celebrity Library and Card Room!

By Making the Bow of the Celebrity Edge  a Restricted Area That we can 
      That we can no Longer Watch the Sailaway , Because is Restricted only to to the
       Retreat paying  Guests! 

4- By Doing away with our Old Larger Balcony with the Sliding Door!

5 – By Designing the Martini Bar on the Celebrity Edge so if you choose
      to go sit by the Back Side of the Martini Bar you now need to walk up a 
      Dark Ramp or Walk up Steps.

6 – By Eliminating the Steps to Enter The Front Pool you now Need to go down
      a Ladder  get into the Pool! Not Easy or Fun the Older People!

7 – By  Putting the Hot Tub High Above the Main Pool , you can only go into
       the Hot Tub by Walking up a Steep Ramp to the Next Level 
       or Walking up a Flite of Steps !

8 – Our Veranda Staterom has a Small Makeup Table that is Removeable
       that Slides under the Desk to Hide, but the Sliding Makeup Table has no
       Bottom Drawer to Store My Wifes Cosmetics! 

9 – The Price of this 7 Day Cruise was Total off the Wall. It is a Beautiful Ship
      With Geogeus Paintings –Wooden Statues – Nice Bed- Beautiful Bathroom!
       That’s It! 

Was no way worth it and  was a Huge Disappointment to us for the Money 
       we Paid  for this Celebrity Edge Inaugaral Cruise .

We hope Celebrity will look at this Shortcomings and find a way to Correct
         a Lot of These Errors! We Stil Love Celebrity-It will Always Be The Best ,
         but not the Celebrity Edge Class!

Herb ad Roz Drucker –Fort Lauderdale Florida - Elite Plus Members

We booked our February 3 Edge cruise onboard another Celebrity cruise after an Edge presentation.  The IV cabins were misrepresented in that presentation because in no part of the presentation was a window mentioned.  The fold back doors were explained as opening up the room so the balcony became part of the room and one could lay on the bed and feel like the outside was part of your bedroom.  From videos I have seen posted , the IV cabin seems more like an ocean view cabin with a larger window!  The balcony seems so closed in compared to the traditional veranda cabins on other Celebrity ships.  Trying to keep an open mind and reserve judgement til we can experience everything for ourselves.

Wee docked next to Edge in Costa Maya on its inaugural cruise the week of December 9. Of course we did not get to go inside the ship but from teh outside it is the ugliest ship I have seen since the Epic. It looks like they shaved half of the bow off.

• Like 1

I liked the IV cabin myself....not a sun person...so I enjoyed the extra space and views. DH prefers regular veranda. You have more privacy in terms of the cabin next to you.... no way prying eyes can peak around the wall... not like a thin plexiglass divider. But in port... you have to keep the blinds down at least part way. Oh... and if you use the controls... test the "scenes" feature out first. One morning I hit 'morning' thinking that just the lights would slowly brighten... but actually the shades came up as well... as we were pulling into port.  The main problem I have is that they tell you the veranda is 42 sq ft... which includes the walls and I believe a piece of the cabin as well. If you measure 'useable space' the veranda is about 33 sq ft. While I am not sure of the comparable size on S class... it was very very tight... so I am willing to bet that it is significantly smaller than S class more than a 42" vs 54" comparison. Because of this tightness... it did not feel like a balcony.... In our cabin the only way we could close the bifold doors would have been to put a chair or the table on the bed to make room. Now I liked having expansive view.... but in the morning it was annoying that you could not peek out. One idea I had were to put multiple cameras outside and have this on the tv in addition to the bridge cam so you would have an idea on what was going on outside your window... bridge cam was limited. I liked the over all sleekness of the ship.. the bow is a bit odd...but if it helps increase fuel efficiency.. I could get used to it.

5 minutes ago, kearney said:

DH prefers regular veranda. You have more privacy in terms of the cabin next to you.... no way prying eyes can peak around the wall... not like a thin plexiglass divider.

Are there "regular" balconies on this ship?  If so, do you know the category?

15 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Are there "regular" balconies on this ship?  If so, do you know the category?

the 1 A and 1B are more traditional... but they are enclosed in the hull and have a round porthole like opening... so less of a view... the only regular non suite 'balcony " cabins are the SV sunset veranda on the fantail... those seem to fill up quickly.  check out deck plan deck plan  You might want to also check out the comments on various cabins summary of cabin info

On 12/27/2018 at 8:49 PM, Tom.Kitten said:

I was actually ON the EDGE, in an "inifinite veranda" cabin,  when I wrote about having to move the furniture around to actually use the "infinite veranda".  

I was too... you had to put furniture (a chair) on the bed to easily move items around if two were standing there... only 33 sq ft to work with. We tried closing them once but it was not worth the hassle... both of us could not be on the vernada with furniture while trying to close doors... If you look at photo... if you push chairs forwards... still block door. there is 13" between veranda and bed... it was like a puzzle.

IMG_3171.jpg

Edited by kearney

Take a close look at the photo above and then watch the video link. look at the position of the chairs relative to the edge of the veranda. The scale in the video is so off... I really wonder if management knew how off their renderings were vs the final. If the actual cabin more closely resembled the video... people would be more positive in their response. video of what IV was supposed to be like The scale is also off making the cabin look wider than it is. People think it is narrow...but I believe it is consistent with regular S class cabins...but the rendering looks wider.  I liked it because of the view...but was disappointed at how different it was vs presentation.