The Ocean View Cafe: A Whole New World!

vtcruising

1 hour ago, Jesseslola said:

Can somebody show pictures of Mexican taco, guacamole and mixes? We look forward to that when we get on board. Thanks

Somebody mentioned it is open late night?

Sorry, I didn't get a picture of that. Hope someone else has one for you.

1 hour ago, kkmiausa said:

Well I don't know. I just paid over $16000 for a Royal Suite - Yes it probably isn't but too late and I would think a simple gellato and a few bottles of water would be part of that!

The Celebrity website states the royal suite has unlimited complimentary specialty dining.

On our past s class ship cruises, this included the gelato. Also, bottled water was free everywhere. You show your sea pass card and they ring it up as free. We always tipped. Unlimited water is also provided in the room by the butler. Drinks were provided with the premium beverage perk, which also included the specialty coffee. The RS was all inclusive regarding drinks and dining.  Hope that helps!

Edited by Freestyle Cruiser
Spelling error

28 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

Thank you vtcruising. Do you know if it opens late at night? We will be on our excursions coming back mostly late. It would be nice to be able to relax first, clean up before dinner.

This is an example of port day dining times:

image.thumb.png.e4521de9e2531f6ee26c720f7e3e4041.png

This an example of dining times for a sea day:

image.thumb.png.7feeeb385c505d0d332a0cc981854e55.png

1 hour ago, kkmiausa said:

It was too late to cancel since it was paid in full because close to sailing. It was an impulse decision because of the hype about the new ship. I sailed Celebrity only once before over 10 years ago.   So I decided to just go all out and chalk it up to experience. I spent far less than this last year on pretty much the same itinerary on Oceania Rivieira in a penthouse suite with the O life perks and almost what I spent on an even longer Seabourn in October. And ice cream and water are freely available no added charges for anything.  

Your signature shows that among a list of luxury cruises you did sail on Princess.  Even in the top-top suite on Princess, you would be dining in the regular main dining room.  Celebrity has lots of pluses, but it never claimed to be all-inclusive.  [You will get bottled water in your suite.  And the best gelato we have had on a ship couldn't match what you can get on land, even from Talenti...]

Princess was a group cruise from a ski club I belong to, so I knew it would not be top of the line but it was also before I had sailed on Seabourn or even Regent so I didn't know what I was getting into. Obviously it is not a top cruise line, however because it was a group we got a lot of perks, all drinks were included, tips,     and it was a mini suite midship.  We ate every night in one of the two specialty restaurants which were only $20 more per person per night and we had Chilean Sea bass, Lobster and filet in the Grill and the Italian restaurant so we did o.k.  It was nice for a trip through Ireland and Scotland.  

I am now quite excited with the room we have and since my son and his girlfriend have only an oceanview it will be nice to have the extra room. My friend is also coming along and she has the Celebrity suite.So we will have a great time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Ocean View looks like a step up on EDGE...lots of choices for food and seating and nice ocean views!  They  have waffles..not available in BLU

The waffles at the Oceanview have always been excellent, especially if you get then right out of the machine and not after they've been sitting around.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:05 PM, kkmiausa said:

Princess was a group cruise from a ski club I belong to, so I knew it would not be top of the line but it was also before I had sailed on Seabourn or even Regent so I didn't know what I was getting into. Obviously it is not a top cruise line, however because it was a group we got a lot of perks, all drinks were included, tips,     and it was a mini suite midship.  We ate every night in one of the two specialty restaurants which were only $20 more per person per night and we had Chilean Sea bass, Lobster and filet in the Grill and the Italian restaurant so we did o.k.  It was nice for a trip through Ireland and Scotland.  

I am now quite excited with the room we have and since my son and his girlfriend have only an oceanview it will be nice to have the extra room. My friend is also coming along and she has the Celebrity suite.So we will have a great time.

Sounds like you are warming up to Celebrity EDGE and the choices you will have...

"Bloom where you are planted"  

Hope you have a great family vacation!

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 5:59 PM, Mainah said:

Yes....my partner loved it and thought it was very good...I mostly ate the food from the Indian Food station and thought it was very good also.

I was on the Dec. 1 cruise and looked everywhere for stirfry but didn't see it. Can you describe where it was in more detail so that I can - hopefully - find it for our April cruise? Not having stirfry was a huge letdown for our cruise - it's my go-to lunch item!

1 hour ago, ohhbother said:

I was on the Dec. 1 cruise and looked everywhere for stirfry but didn't see it. Can you describe where it was in more detail so that I can - hopefully - find it for our April cruise? Not having stirfry was a huge letdown for our cruise - it's my go-to lunch item!

Let's see...after exiting the aft elevators on deck 14 enter the OVC on the port side where Il Secondo Bacio is located...continue into the OVC and the counter to the left should be the bread section...continue past this and go around to the left following the counter (IIRC it turns into desserts shortly after you go around to the left) keep following it and the stir fry section should be there on the left just a few stations down.  Hope this helps and they don't change the location of it by April!

I don't know if this will work but I'll attach a deck plan with a red line showing the route.deck14-2018b.thumb.gif.0f1f0be5516a11ffc003c7d8f4d3df5d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

So are there actually any new food stations at Oceanview on Edge, or is the excitement just over the decor?

I don't know if there was anything different to eat. I was more wowed by the non-cafeteria-like surroundings. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 10:24 AM, vtcruising said:

I didn't dare say much about the Ocean View Cafe, because people would think me crazy, but it is a great place to hang out between feeding frenzies. I was up there one afternoon for my free gelato and had a lovely time gazing at the sea while people chatted in comfortable chairs, others had tea and scones, some were grazing, one group was paying cards next to a gorgeous ocean view, others were sipping cocktails, some were reading and some were sitting at the cool counters that face the ocean, happily on their devices. I took my gelato outside to a comfortable chair next to the ocean and had a marvelous half hour of peace and contentment.

The OVC may be the place to be! It's still a buffet, but I am so impressed at how pretty and inviting it is!  It may be the new Sky Lounge (at least when it isn't meal time) as a great place to connect with the ocean, enjoy a tasty beverage and chill (and if you happen to get hungry, you are in the right place). 🙂

image.thumb.png.63dbdc79b535b2d6930371a48c824dff.png

image.thumb.png.000104b5edfc8438b00c2bb336b0dd2e.png

image.thumb.png.a38c69d5665a8e2dd1556e749321de0c.png

image.png.44be33ea8082e6e4c6d8750d5d10b5f4.png

image.thumb.png.2f21f0cc778b4c4b2a417d9885bf05d0.png

image.thumb.png.d0d45bad76699fa4712c52248ae410c5.png

Great photos what ship is this!

2 minutes ago, OriginalBoat said:

It's on the Edge.  The thread was originally in the Edge sub-forum so may not have been obvious.

Not sure what post you were replying to but you inadvertently make a good point that the title of this thread is now ambiguous.

Vt has been following this ship from its conception and  has a wonderful   connection to it. She has shared so much info  with everyone  subscribed to the EDGE threads ( EDGIES) ....this included  mapping of cabin locations, digging up all sorts of facts etc.

She been on 3 short cruise, heading for a 4th standard length soon.  Having been onboard in diff cabins and explored much of the ship..her reviews are part of the initial  first hand feedback about the ship.   The reviews are balanced  but her love for the ship  and positive outlook on things shines through.

Soon more of us will sail on EDGE....more opinions will come into the mix .

The buffet area does look very nice and bright;  and maybe  a good spot for afternoon coffee and tea! Great views..inside and out!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Not sure what post you were replying to but you inadvertently make a good point that the title of this thread is now ambiguous.

There was discussion about this when the EDGE threads were moved into  Celeb thread...maybe Moderators can add EDGE to the titles.

In this thread, the photos are a helpful  clue .

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1